Will my rear axle snap? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustang99
Alright, I've got it all layed out... my clutch will have to wait til around feb. 9th... by then I would have gotten one paycheck to pay for the flywheel, and the next paycheck on that day will go towards install of those two. I will soon get an offroad x-pipe and a short shifter, maybe the next paycheck... then my tax return is going towards rims... whenever that comes in... and then comes lowering springs, and tower strut braces, then a t-lock. Sometime in the middle of all of that, hopefully I can get that little dent fixed ($350! sucks horribly) and little things here and there such as side stripes, new floor mats(mine are terrible), and windsheild banner. That'll be about all I'm lookin at doing to my car for a LONG time. Again thanks for your help! Any other recommendations are welcome, just nothing too expensive, cause we know all this is making me go broke!
you can wait a while on the x-pipe and the short shifter, they don't really add much. Chassis support, and the rest are so much more important.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006 Thread Starter

Alright, alright. Next to last question... if I get a t-lock put on, will that make me lose any horsepower? (or 0-60 time) Because I'm looking at this 2 ways. One is that the drivetrain is now having to turn 2 wheels... therefor losing power because it's now turning more. Two, is that the drivetrain is now turning two wheels, but it's still only moving the car, and by turning both wheels it makes it easier to move the car... therefor not losing any power, if anything, gaining some. I see it both ways I just don't know which one is right. The only thing I do know, is I know it deffinately helps on traction. But any dumbass could tell you that, so it's not saying much for me. And now the LAST question, what size rims would be best for a V6? 17x8's or 17x9's? My guess would be 17x8's because the V6 really wouldn't need more, but I love the way my ex's 18x9's look on her car... I just wouldn't want to put 18's on mine. Stick with 17's.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Alright, alright. Next to last question... if I get a t-lock put on, will that make me lose any horsepower? (or 0-60 time) Because I'm looking at this 2 ways. One is that the drivetrain is now having to turn 2 wheels... therefor losing power because it's now turning more. Two, is that the drivetrain is now turning two wheels, but it's still only moving the car, and by turning both wheels it makes it easier to move the car... therefor not losing any power, if anything, gaining some. I see it both ways I just don't know which one is right. The only thing I do know, is I know it deffinately helps on traction. But any dumbass could tell you that, so it's not saying much for me. And now the LAST question, what size rims would be best for a V6? 17x8's or 17x9's? My guess would be 17x8's because the V6 really wouldn't need more, but I love the way my ex's 18x9's look on her car... I just wouldn't want to put 18's on mine. Stick with 17's.
yes, you "may" lose rear wheel hp, -but! the big loss occurs when 1 wheel is already spinning!

so, your 0-60 time should be faster, as a result.

you can fit a fairly wide tire on 16x8 or 8.5, or 9, and your rotational mass wouldn't be as bad as an 18x9.

17x8s really suck the torque out of the car . .. w/ 18x9's you may as well put a sandbag or 2 in the trunk and rear seat.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006 Thread Starter

Okay so I found this site that has drag wheels on it...

http://www.prolightstar.com/dragwhee...dr11_18x75.htm
They say they're "lightweight", I'll look more into that later, but how trustworthy do you think they are? Would they be fine for everyday driving? If so then I'd deffinately want to get these... a nice alternative to bullitt rims, and much lighter. One thing I'm confused about that I've found out through searching, is that my year Mustang has a lugnut pattern of 5x4.5 right? Well the choices here are 5x100 and 5x114.3... which one is it? and would the offset being +45mm be any problem? Thank you again for all your help.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006 Thread Starter

Ha! nevermind i got it... thanks to

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length

it's 114.3... but I am still wondering about the +45mm offset and how reliable the rims would be in everyday driving
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Okay so I found this site that has drag wheels on it...

http://www.prolightstar.com/dragwhee...dr11_18x75.htm
They say they're "lightweight", I'll look more into that later, but how trustworthy do you think they are? Would they be fine for everyday driving? If so then I'd deffinately want to get these... a nice alternative to bullitt rims, and much lighter. One thing I'm confused about that I've found out through searching, is that my year Mustang has a lugnut pattern of 5x4.5 right? Well the choices here are 5x100 and 5x114.3... which one is it? and would the offset being +45mm be any problem? Thank you again for all your help.
I've seen "lightweight" wheels that weigh 30 lbs.

If they don't list the weight, they're nothing to be proud of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page