Will my rear axle snap? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006 Thread Starter

Will my rear axle snap?

Alright so I'm fixing up my 1999 V6... I haven't done much to it, I've only got dual exhaust and it's a stick. I'm planning on putting an x-pipe on and adding an intake real soon. I'm planning on doing much, much more to it, but my question is, do I need to get a GT axle to support the extra hp? I've heard of people's V6 axles snapping with very minor mods. And if so, what all comes on a GT axle? I'm supposing the t-lock will already be on there? And what else would I need to get to complete the change-over. If you could give me a price on it, that'd be great too. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustang99
Alright so I'm fixing up my 1999 V6... I haven't done much to it, I've only got dual exhaust and it's a stick. I'm planning on putting an x-pipe on and adding an intake real soon. I'm planning on doing much, much more to it, but my question is, do I need to get a GT axle to support the extra hp? I've heard of people's V6 axles snapping with very minor mods. And if so, what all comes on a GT axle? I'm supposing the t-lock will already be on there? And what else would I need to get to complete the change-over. If you could give me a price on it, that'd be great too. Thanks.
The GT may or may not have a T-Lok, and even if it does, chances are the clutches would have to be replaced anyway.

-in 2001, the axles are 28 spline, the same ad the GT.

You need to be putting out a LOT of power before the rear end will give up. (Around 300+ for pre-01s, 375+ or 400+ with a girdle).

You can pick up a kit from stangparts.com, or just get the entire axle assembly from a salvage yard (axle, housing, shocks (including quads) hubs and discs. You may want to use new fasteners.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006 Thread Starter

Huh... so it should be fine if I don't put over 300 horses into it? Something tells me I'm not going to get to that point... maybe 260 max, unless it takes next to nothing to get there. I guess I'll just have to buy a t-lock and have it installed. Any idea on what that'll cost me for the t-lock and install? Also, I just got qouted $350 for install on a new clutch... sound about right to you? (the clutch is XTD Stage 3)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Huh... so it should be fine if I don't put over 300 horses into it? Something tells me I'm not going to get to that point... maybe 260 max, unless it takes next to nothing to get there. I guess I'll just have to buy a t-lock and have it installed. Any idea on what that'll cost me for the t-lock and install? Also, I just got qouted $350 for install on a new clutch... sound about right to you? (the clutch is XTD Stage 3)
When it's all said and done, count on 500-800 on the t-lok (But you should really go with the detroit locker). Installation is usually around $300-400 + tax, the differential is usually between 173-250 + shipping.

350 is a good price for a clutch installation. While you're in there, if you can afford it, go for a lightweight flywheel. It'll really wake up your car.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006 Thread Starter

Cool... would they have the pulleys there? or would I need to order them? thanks dude for all your help I appreciate it
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Cool... would they have the pulleys there? or would I need to order them? thanks dude for all your help I appreciate it
you'd need to order them.

Re: the rear end, if you are planning to build up to big power numbers, you can get a support girdle, that will allow you to go 350-400 hp.

Pete Campbell still runs his 7.5" and he's running in the 11's with a powerdyne SC unit.

That said, you shouldn't need to abuse it, an 8.8" will shred if you do 4-6000 RPM clutch drops.

But the six makes enough torque, you don't need to engage in that behavior anyway.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

I think you will be more than fine with the 7.5 in there. I have 300+ rwhp and still run a 7.5 with drag radials. I'm not real comfortable anymore with it but it hasn't broken. A detroit locker is what I'll be putting in, that is a lot better than the GT rear IMO

1998 V6
1987 GT
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
I think you guys are not getting the point with the 8.8 compared to the 7.5. The axles are the same it is the weak casting thickness of the 7.5 gears and carrier bearing caps. You can put a support to control the cap walking but you will still have the problem of the carrier cracking unless a expensive upgrade which if you spending that kind of money you can get a 8.8 assy used with a good choice of gears for $400 and spend a couple of hours installing it. You will have more money in the gear install then getting the complete stronger rearend.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytang
I think you guys are not getting the point with the 8.8 compared to the 7.5. The axles are the same it is the weak casting thickness of the 7.5 gears and carrier bearing caps. You can put a support to control the cap walking but you will still have the problem of the carrier cracking unless a expensive upgrade which if you spending that kind of money you can get a 8.8 assy used with a good choice of gears for $400 and spend a couple of hours installing it. You will have more money in the gear install then getting the complete stronger rearend.
You can get a girdle with a lot less hassle, and plenty of folks are running 400+ hp with the 7.5. (It has been upgraded a bit over the years).

The v6 makes a lot less torque than the 5.0L, so the driveline shock isn't as great . ..

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006 Thread Starter

so do you reccommend any brand of lightweight flywheels?
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
Are you guys sure about a lite weight flywheel with such low torque engine. Usually you use weight of the flywheel to increase torque to the wheels. I have driven 400hp 5.0 engines that just did not have the snap after a aluminum flywheel was installed without keeping the rpms way up over 4k rpm. If you road race I could see it because you would keep the rpms up because it will rev faster out of a turn but daily driving and if you drag race I can't see that flywheel helping but hurting to move the mass of the car. I still think that as cheap as a V8 rearend is and as hard as it is to find 7.5 gears and they cost more that the V8 rearend is a better choice.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytang
Are you guys sure about a lite weight flywheel with such low torque engine. Usually you use weight of the flywheel to increase torque to the wheels. I have driven 400hp 5.0 engines that just did not have the snap after a aluminum flywheel was installed without keeping the rpms way up over 4k rpm. If you road race I could see it because you would keep the rpms up because it will rev faster out of a turn but daily driving and if you drag race I can't see that flywheel helping but hurting to move the mass of the car. I still think that as cheap as a V8 rearend is and as hard as it is to find 7.5 gears and they cost more that the V8 rearend is a better choice.
yeah, check out the archives. Reducing the rotational mass (especially on the six which uses a flywheel designed for the 5.0L) increases the efficiency of the system, and greatly reduces 1/4 mile times.

Honda proved the concept, and Hot Rod did a number of tests a couple of years ago, which also proved the concept.

the SVT Focus and Cobra both use lightweight flywheels with heavy duty clutches.

an 8.8 rear is "relatively" inexpensive, but the installation isn't. It also adds more weight and even more rotational mass.

A lot of people feel safer running them, but a lot of people don't.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

http://www.lmperformance.com/3541/50.html
SPEC Aluminum Flywheel 94-01 3.8L
Part No.: SF14A

Price: $389.00

Shipping: $21.95*

www.supersixmotorsports.com
Billet Harmonic Balancer (neutral only)
01-04 3.8s, 3.9s, 4.2s, 4.3 strokers, 94-95 Supercoupes!
SFI approved for you guys in the 11s. $425
Lite Weight Billet Aluminum Flywheel
94-04 38s, 3.9s, 4.2s, 4.3 strokers, 89-93 SuperCoupes
Quicker acceleration? Replace the heavy cast iron flywheel with this lite weight billet aluminum
flywheel. Replaceable ring gear and friction plate, its an aluminum flywheel that
never wears out. SFI approved for you guys in the 11s. $425

http://www.ultrarev.com/ecart/shopexd.asp?id=55058
RPS Aluminum flywheels Ford Mustang 3.8-4.2 V6 1996-2003 Weight: 11.5lbs

The CYN-R-G Segmented heat shields are not connected so they can expand and contract without warping. A warped heat shield causes the clutch to slip, which causes more heat and more warpage. Our flywheels are typically 10 to 15 lbs. lighter than the factory units which allows up to 20 more HP to get to the wheels!!
Item Number: BF-0738-42

Our Price: $424.96

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks coyote... I suppose it'll save a lot on install if I put it in with the clutch? Seeing as how they have to take the flywheel out anyways?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006 Thread Starter

Alright, I've got it all layed out... my clutch will have to wait til around feb. 9th... by then I would have gotten one paycheck to pay for the flywheel, and the next paycheck on that day will go towards install of those two. I will soon get an offroad x-pipe and a short shifter, maybe the next paycheck... then my tax return is going towards rims... whenever that comes in... and then comes lowering springs, and tower strut braces, then a t-lock. Sometime in the middle of all of that, hopefully I can get that little dent fixed ($350! sucks horribly) and little things here and there such as side stripes, new floor mats(mine are terrible), and windsheild banner. That'll be about all I'm lookin at doing to my car for a LONG time. Again thanks for your help! Any other recommendations are welcome, just nothing too expensive, cause we know all this is making me go broke!

Last edited by Dustang99; 01-19-2006 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page