New Diff - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Kscoyote I am sorry I haven post the pix of my diff here yet. Itís because I havenít done my diff yet. I got some guy that is asking me $500 for a diff from a 2002 GT. And he is giving me everything with the diff but I only need the diff tho. But any ways I am working on it trying to find just the diff. Also do I need to program the car or something after I put the new diff? Can the Diablo sport do that? Also what set of gears do you recommend for my car. Can the stock Gt gears be a good choice?

Thank you very much.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstang01
Kscoyote I am sorry I haven post the pix of my diff here yet. Itís because I havenít done my diff yet. I got some guy that is asking me $500 for a diff from a 2002 GT. And he is giving me everything with the diff but I only need the diff tho. But any ways I am working on it trying to find just the diff. Also do I need to program the car or something after I put the new diff? Can the Diablo sport do that? Also what set of gears do you recommend for my car. Can the stock Gt gears be a good choice?

Thank you very much.
trust me, it'll be cheaper to install the whole axle, than taking it apart, and reassembling the unit. That's a pretty good price.

you would only need to reprogram if it had different gears. Ask to see what the gear ratio is. The Diablo can take care of it.

With the SC, you're better off keeping the 3.27s.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Now before I buy it I want to ask you if the brakes are compatible and everything, do I need any other modification and what about the length? Is it larger or the same as my v6? What I meant is the dimension of the rear Gt and the v6 dimensions. I am looking at a 2000 Gt. For $500. What do you think?

Also you said that I should keep 3.27 gears. Ok here is my question: Can I find a Gt diff with those gears or I have to put them. I really donít want to get into changing gears. Because the GT diff come in different gear ratio. But I donít want to hurt my engine either. So one more time thanks and I really appreciate what you are doing

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Now before I buy it I want to ask you if the brakes are compatible and everything, do I need any other modification and what about the length? Is it larger or the same as my v6? What I meant is the dimension of the rear Gt and the v6 dimensions. I am looking at a 2000 Gt. For $500. What do you think?

Also you said that I should keep 3.27 gears. Ok here is my question: Can I find a Gt diff with those gears or I have to put them. I really donít want to get into changing gears. Because the GT diff come in different gear ratio. But I donít want to hurt my engine either. So one more time thanks and I really appreciate what you are doing
As long as they're compatible with your ABS system, everything will bolt on. The brakes are the same, the 2001+ cars have the same brakes as the GT. The dimensions are the same. It's purely a bolt in for a 2001+ car.

The GT if I remember correctly had the same gear ratio, but who knows what was installed in the car.

The way to check is to put the car in neutral, mark the driveshaft, and count the number of times the wheel turns to one turn of the driveshaft, while the rear of the car is on the stands.

If you turn the wheel 3 1/4 times for one revolution of the drive shaft, they're 3.27s, 3 1/2 turns, they're 3.55s, 3 3/4 turns = 3.73s, 4 turns are 4.11s.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ok thatís handy, I mention that I was looking at 2002 gt diff for $500. Well not anymore the owner sold it, so yesterday I saw 2000 Gt stick. Is a 2000 GT 100% compatible with my 2001? or there are some differences. Thanks I want to have it done for this weekend so I can take it to a dyno. However thatís not now, first things first. Thank you.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok thatís handy, I mention that I was looking at 2002 gt diff for $500. Well not anymore the owner sold it, so yesterday I saw 2000 Gt stick. Is a 2000 GT 100% compatible with my 2001? or there are some differences. Thanks I want to have it done for this weekend so I can take it to a dyno. However thatís not now, first things first. Thank you.
The axle hasn't changed since 1994.

You can even use a Pre '94, if you want to put wider wheels on it (The axle's narrower). The chassis dates to 1979.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page