New Diff - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

New Diff

Unfortunately I broke my diff. Is a fact I need a new one. So I was wondering if you guys specially Scoyote can give me some ideas about which diff will be the best for my car limited slip or not? Thanks

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

if you are pushing more then 350 hp to the rear wheels then you may have to upgrade the axle to a 8.8" rear end, if not then you can get away with a FR Traction-lok or if you want to go higher the detroit locker 7.5" Difference is the detroit locker is always engaged so both tires will get the power. The FR T-lok has a clutch mechanism in it, and gives the wheel with the most traction more power, hence the limited slip name that comes with it.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

It may be just as cheap to get a used 8.8 from a GT. Don't go to all the labor and expense and still just have stock v6 stuff. Get a lower mileage 8.8 from a gt and have it gone through with new bearing and gears of your choice.

New Toy - Custom 92 GT soon to be a turbo beast
DHG 01 Bullitt - JLT, Mac o/r H, MGW, Bama tune, Focus pump, 3.73s, DRs best 1/4 13.50 @ 101 best 1/8 8.53 @ 82
Red/White 88 GT vert (SOLD)
Autumn Orange 97 GT (SOLD)
Black 89 LX best 8.46 1/8 mile (SOLD)
2011 F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill
It may be just as cheap to get a used 8.8 from a GT. Don't go to all the labor and expense and still just have stock v6 stuff. Get a lower mileage 8.8 from a gt and have it gone through with new bearing and gears of your choice.
yup. If you can find a modified one, even better.

If the labor's gotta be done anyway, they're gonna cost about the same, either way.

How'd you break the diff? Do you have a manual or automatic?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I have a auto trans and basically the only answer that I can explain how I broke the diff have to be when we were testing the car. Well thanks 2 you guys I have now a pretty good idea about which diff I will buy. However I want to ask you something in general. I Donít have the knowledge that you guys have according to Mustangs so I want to ask you if all this you know the SC are safe for the car. What I mean is if there is no risk of blowing the motor or just broke a part after another. I am kind of afraid cuz now the car is really fast which is good but sometimes good donít last long, so many thanks and I will be waiting for your answers.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstang01
I have a auto trans and basically the only answer that I can explain how I broke the diff have to be when we were testing the car. Well thanks 2 you guys I have now a pretty good idea about which diff I will buy. However I want to ask you something in general. I Donít have the knowledge that you guys have according to Mustangs so I want to ask you if all this you know the SC are safe for the car. What I mean is if there is no risk of blowing the motor or just broke a part after another. I am kind of afraid cuz now the car is really fast which is good but sometimes good donít last long, so many thanks and I will be waiting for your answers.
As long as you've done a dyno tune, you should be fine.

How were you testing the car?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I really donít know how he was testing the car. However he told me that the diff was making a noise so probable I will have to change it soon.

So look like my best choice is to go for an 8.8, but there is any other modification that I have to do in order to put the 8.8 in it?

Thanks a lot for your concern.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I really donít know how he was testing the car. However he told me that the diff was making a noise so probable I will have to change it soon.

So look like my best choice is to go for an 8.8, but there is any other modification that I have to do in order to put the 8.8 in it?

Thanks a lot for your concern.
Can you post a pic of your diff? I'd be curious to se ethe failure point.

Nope, you just need to get an assembly from a salvage yard. Bolts right in.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ok I will as soon as I replace it. I have been so busy with school that I havenít replace the diff yet. Probably this weekend I will do all that first replace the diff and then take it to a dynotune i am not sure if the Diablo sport takes care of all that . However I really want to take it to a dynotune as soon as I can.

How much will a dynotune cost?

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok I will as soon as I replace it. I have been so busy with school that I havenít replace the diff yet. Probably this weekend I will do all that first replace the diff and then take it to a dynotune i am not sure if the Diablo sport takes care of all that . However I really want to take it to a dynotune as soon as I can.

How much will a dynotune cost?
depends on the shop . .. $100-$500. There's a big curve on that one, usually it depends on how soon they want to pay the dyno off . ..

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Hey hello there. I have everything so far except the diff which I probably be putting this weekend. But yesterday I start the car and I saw a check engine, and well I put the Diablo sport and run the Diablo tune and after that the check engine was gone. My question is do I have to install the Diablo tune often or not cuz days ago the same thing happened and I took it to the mechanic and he put the Diablo sport and then was gone and yesterday the same. What can this be? Thanks.

The only thing holding me to buy a diff is that yesterday a friend of mine has a 2002 Mustang GT but he asks me about some numbers so I check mine and give it to him. I want to make sure it will fit. Well he ask me about the abs and all that cuz he said some cars has the abs just fwd. But mine has abs and I guess the abs in my car are in all wheels.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Hey hello there. I have everything so far except the diff which I probably be putting this weekend. But yesterday I start the car and I saw a check engine, and well I put the Diablo sport and run the Diablo tune and after that the check engine was gone. My question is do I have to install the Diablo tune often or not cuz days ago the same thing happened and I took it to the mechanic and he put the Diablo sport and then was gone and yesterday the same. What can this be? Thanks.

The only thing holding me to buy a diff is that yesterday a friend of mine has a 2002 Mustang GT but he asks me about some numbers so I check mine and give it to him. I want to make sure it will fit. Well he ask me about the abs and all that cuz he said some cars has the abs just fwd. But mine has abs and I guess the abs in my car are in all wheels.
yeah, you're gonna' need an ABS rear. There is no car with only the front wheel ABS, it's all or nothing

You should be able to pul the code using the diablo unit.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Yeah but why the check engine appears, so I spouse If in the future I see the check engine again all I have to do is plug in the Diablo sport and run the tune.

Also I want to be sure on this, I have a boost gauge already in the car but when I accelerate only does like 8lb of boost. My question is: is it psi the same as pound of boost or is it different. The procharger that I bought I ask them to send the 11psi. Is that what is spouse to do in terms of boost or is something else? I really wanted to ask you this question long ago cuz I am really confuse with it.

The diff if the numbers match probably this week will be on I already talk to the mechanic that will do that.

Thanks a lot bro.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Yeah but why the check engine appears, so I spouse If in the future I see the check engine again all I have to do is plug in the Diablo sport and run the tune.

Also I want to be sure on this, I have a boost gauge already in the car but when I accelerate only does like 8lb of boost. My question is: is it psi the same as pound of boost or is it different. The procharger that I bought I ask them to send the 11psi. Is that what is spouse to do in terms of boost or is something else? I really wanted to ask you this question long ago cuz I am really confuse with it.

The diff if the numbers match probably this week will be on I already talk to the mechanic that will do that.

Thanks a lot bro.

no, don't run the tune, pull the code. It should tell you what's wrong.

Or go to an autozone, and have them pull it for you.

Don't let your mechanic test it this time!

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

boost usually refers to N2O, but some people say 11 lbs of boost, which is a short hand way of sayin' 11psi. (pounds per square inch)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page