Gears - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
Question Gears

OK..I'm starting to look at gears but i dont know which ones i would need. which of these http://mustangtuning.com/rearend.html would be the best for my 1999 Automatic V6? I heard 3.73s a while ago but then someone said that 4.10s are better for autos. It is a daily driver and gas mileage is also important. If I got one of those would I also need one of the bearing kits or installation kits or speed calibrator? Or there are these kits http://mustangtuning.com/mustang-gear-kits.html. Of everything on those two links which is best for my car? If you know of a better setup then let me know. And if anyone knows where i can find a t-lok cuz i want them installed at the same time so i dont have to pay as much install. And what kind of shops install them? I've called dealers and they all say they wont install them for some reason. Sorry for so many questions but I've just been wanting these for a long time and I want to get the right thing. Thanks a lot in advance!

Red99Stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
OK..I'm starting to look at gears but i dont know which ones i would need. which of these http://mustangtuning.com/rearend.html would be the best for my 1999 Automatic V6? I heard 3.73s a while ago but then someone said that 4.10s are better for autos. It is a daily driver and gas mileage is also important. If I got one of those would I also need one of the bearing kits or installation kits or speed calibrator? Or there are these kits http://mustangtuning.com/mustang-gear-kits.html. Of everything on those two links which is best for my car? If you know of a better setup then let me know. And if anyone knows where i can find a t-lok cuz i want them installed at the same time so i dont have to pay as much install. And what kind of shops install them? I've called dealers and they all say they wont install them for some reason. Sorry for so many questions but I've just been wanting these for a long time and I want to get the right thing. Thanks a lot in advance!
depends on where you drive, highway or city?

search the v6 archives for detroit locker


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
most my miles are city...im only 16 and still in high school so to and from school and friends houses and parties is most of my driving. on the highway sometimes to practices and games. but thats about it. so after knowing that....which are best?
Red99Stang is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
most my miles are city...im only 16 and still in high school so to and from school and friends houses and parties is most of my driving. on the highway sometimes to practices and games. but thats about it. so after knowing that....which are best?
Red99Stang is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
most my miles are city...im only 16 and still in high school so to and from school and friends houses and parties is most of my driving. on the highway sometimes to practices and games. but thats about it. so after knowing that....which are best?
you could go with the 4.11's.

But it'll really hurt you if you plan to have a power adder. Keep in mind, you're also gonna haveta' get a programmer before you install the gears.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
you could go with the 4.11's.

But it'll really hurt you if you plan to have a power adder. Keep in mind, you're also gonna haveta' get a programmer before you install the gears.
did u mean to type 4.10s or are there 4.11s that im not aware of? whats the difference between 3.73 and 4.10? and i forgot...do gears help gas mileage or take away from it? i used to know a lot more about this stuff but i kinda forgot all of it cuz i wasnt getting the gears when i thought i was. what is that programmer u were talking about? would i need my speedometer recallibrated? thanks again...sry for so many questions.
Red99Stang is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
did u mean to type 4.10s or are there 4.11s that im not aware of? whats the difference between 3.73 and 4.10? and i forgot...do gears help gas mileage or take away from it? i used to know a lot more about this stuff but i kinda forgot all of it cuz i wasnt getting the gears when i thought i was. what is that programmer u were talking about? would i need my speedometer recallibrated? thanks again...sry for so many questions.
Sorry, 4.11s are an old-school gear. Probably before your time.

gears will add mileage at lower speeds, take away mileage at higher speeds. It's like a bicycle. the number refers to the number of times the wheel turns in relation to a driveshaft turn.

you'll need the programmer to calibrate your speedometer, and your transmission shift points, which can seriously damage your tranny, if it's not done.

Programmers come from Diablosport, SCT, Hypertech, etc.,

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Sorry, 4.11s are an old-school gear. Probably before your time.

gears will add mileage at lower speeds, take away mileage at higher speeds. It's like a bicycle. the number refers to the number of times the wheel turns in relation to a driveshaft turn.

you'll need the programmer to calibrate your speedometer, and your transmission shift points, which can seriously damage your tranny, if it's not done.

Programmers come from Diablosport, SCT, Hypertech, etc.,
So does that mean u think I would need 4.10s then? I heard before that 4.10s would be better for an auto than 3.73s would. But which would make for better city gas mileage? What programmer would u recommend and where can I get it? I know the gears on that site are around $150 and install is usually somewhere between $250 and $300 isnt it? How much is the programmer and does it cost more to have that installed or would it be included? Also where can I get that Detroit Locker? thanks a lot kscoyote (and anyone else who happens to have some info for me)
Red99Stang is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
So does that mean u think I would need 4.10s then? I heard before that 4.10s would be better for an auto than 3.73s would. But which would make for better city gas mileage? What programmer would u recommend and where can I get it? I know the gears on that site are around $150 and install is usually somewhere between $250 and $300 isnt it? How much is the programmer and does it cost more to have that installed or would it be included? Also where can I get that Detroit Locker? thanks a lot kscoyote (and anyone else who happens to have some info for me)
programmer is usually around 350-400 dollars. Think of it like a bicycle, in stop and go, you want the lowest (numerically higher) gear, because you don't have to work as hard. It's the same with the engine in your car.

But trying to ride your bike on a highway in the low gear will kill you, and it's hard to pass. SO it's a trade-off.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
programmer is usually around 350-400 dollars. Think of it like a bicycle, in stop and go, you want the lowest (numerically higher) gear, because you don't have to work as hard. It's the same with the engine in your car.

But trying to ride your bike on a highway in the low gear will kill you, and it's hard to pass. SO it's a trade-off.
OK...i think its starting to make more sense. So u think 4.10s ($150) a programmer ($350-$400) and then what else would i need? Where do I get the programmer? And where do I get the T-Lok?
Red99Stang is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
OK....i think I decided on this T-lok http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6fordgear.htm and these 4.10s http://www.mustangtuning.com/v6gears.html. Are those both good choices? Now I just need u to help me with the programmer???? And last but definitely not least...what kind of places install these things..I've called dealers and they say they wont. Should I just try performance shops? Thanks again!
Red99Stang is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
OK...i think its starting to make more sense. So u think 4.10s ($150) a programmer ($350-$400) and then what else would i need? Where do I get the programmer? And where do I get the T-Lok?
Best deals for the programmer is on e-bay through a wholesaler.

Best deal on the gears are at www.buyfordracing.com, www.gefracing.com, and www.mustangtuning.com. The Ford Racing gears are generally quieter than the others.

If you go with a Ford racing T-Lok (you'll have to rebuild it from time to time are at the above.

you'll have to go to detroit locker to get one that never needs to be rebuilt -but it's more expensive of course. Look up Detroit Locker in the V6 archives.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
OK....i think I decided on this T-lok http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6fordgear.htm and these 4.10s http://www.mustangtuning.com/v6gears.html. Are those both good choices? Now I just need u to help me with the programmer???? And last but definitely not least...what kind of places install these things..I've called dealers and they say they wont. Should I just try performance shops? Thanks again!
you might look up lcurle, and shoot him a PM.

Otherwise, go to Yahoo Autos, click on the Customs section and look up performance shops.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Red99Stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Best deals for the programmer is on e-bay through a wholesaler.

Best deal on the gears are at www.buyfordracing.com, www.gefracing.com, and www.mustangtuning.com. The Ford Racing gears are generally quieter than the others.

If you go with a Ford racing T-Lok (you'll have to rebuild it from time to time are at the above.

you'll have to go to detroit locker to get one that never needs to be rebuilt -but it's more expensive of course. Look up Detroit Locker in the V6 archives.
What do u mean quieter? I've heard of "gear whine". is that what ur talking about? and also what do u mean by rebuilding the t-lok? is that something that would be very difficult or could i do it myself. if i had to hire it done how much would it cost and how often? sry so many questions...uve helped a lot though.
Red99Stang is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Stang
What do u mean quieter? I've heard of "gear whine". is that what ur talking about? and also what do u mean by rebuilding the t-lok? is that something that would be very difficult or could i do it myself. if i had to hire it done how much would it cost and how often? sry so many questions...uve helped a lot though.
ueah gear whine.

You have to be able to disassemble the rear end every 30,000 miles or so, take the unit apart and put new clutch plates in. So every 30,000 miles you've got to pay for a reinstall+ the costs of rebuilding the t-lok.


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4.10 gears and the facts and myths.. 1998GT 4.6L Talk 79 08-05-2013 02:41 PM
Some info on gears bwstimp 5.0L Tech 12 07-05-2005 01:20 PM
Which mod: gears or pulleys? Beyond V6 Tech 6 10-18-2004 11:59 PM
Gears Gears and more Gears efox1 4.6L Tech 7 03-18-2004 06:03 PM
gears gears gears slyguy91GT 5.0L Tech 2 05-05-2002 12:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1