Colder Plugs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Colder Plugs

I get alot of pinging with regular and midgrade gas, and I'm tired of paying for premium. I'm want to get colder plugs. I'm not sure how you refer to the different temps by number, but what is the OEM heat number, and what is recommeded to stop the pinging???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

Your not pinging, Pinging can only happen if you have forced induction. You just have some bad gas it sounds like. try filling up with 90-91 octane and using a booster. Change where you buy gas. Pinging is when you have too much air in the cylinder and the spark will not egnite the mixture, so you basically float a valve and lead to trouble. with out a Power Adder, you car works on a vaccum system and will only pull in the air that is needed, which is monitored by the mass Air sensor, if you pull in more air it will adjust the mixture to a certain point.

to tell the temp setting on spark plugs, it is a set of three, either 22C or 32C or 42C in the part Number.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

He's had this problem for a while. I think a previous owner installed a 91 octane tune.

You really need to go to a dealer and have them install an OEM tune. Changing the plug will only mask the problem.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Hey, man!

I forgot about Mustangtk! Shoot him a PM, and see what he says. He's a Ford Tech, and might have a better chance at a distance diagnosis .. .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Well maybe its detonation...The car was my dads before he gave it to me, so i know it hasn't had a 91 octane tune or anything like that. I always fill up with Shell V-power, so i don't think its the gas. The knocking isn't bad with premium, but i'm just tired of paying the $.10 extra for every gallon...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Your not pinging, Pinging can only happen if you have forced induction.
I believe if you research the subject a bit more you will find that statement is incorrect.

Either run a higher octane fuel or change the tune as has been suggested.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

Your right Tom, It is the main occurance in Powe Enhanced Engines without a proper tune. Definition: The piston can overheat and knocking can and will occur. This knocking is caused by ignition of the gas/air mix in your cylinder before the spark of the spark plug. This causes temperature and pressure peaks that will melt your piston, crack your cylinder head, and drop one of your exhaust valves. You have heard about those abrupt deaths of air cooled engines.
Pinging sounds like rocks being thrown around inside your engine. It will never happen at idle, may happen at part throttle, but is most likely to happen at full throttle. It is usually accompanied by a small amount of smoke out of the tailpipe, but don't rely on that.
Pinging is like... taking a cutting torch to your combustion chamber. Your engine can stand anywhere from less than one second to perhaps minute of pinging before it suffers permanent and serious damage, depending on conditions.
The hotter your engine is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The farther your timing is advanced, the more likely your engine is to ping. The higher your compression ratio is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The lower the octane of gas you use, the more likely your engine is to ping.

So, in order to minimize the risk of pinging, do the following:

Make sure your engine doesn't over heat!
Make sure your timing is not too far advanced.
Make sure your compression ratio is not too high (< 7.5 to 1)
If necessary, use higher octane gas.

If you take care of the first three, you shouldn't have to worry about the last one.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Very good explanation, but make that type bigger! My eyes are getting old... :eyepoppin

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurle

So, in order to minimize the risk of pinging, do the following:

Make sure your engine doesn't over heat!
Make sure your timing is not too far advanced.
Make sure your compression ratio is not too high (< 7.5 to 1)
If necessary, use higher octane gas.

If you take care of the first three, you shouldn't have to worry about the last one.

Ok...so how do i take care of the first 3 options? I've been using higher octane gas anyway, so option 4 is taken care of.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrspony
Ok...so how do i take care of the first 3 options? I've been using higher octane gas anyway, so option 4 is taken care of.
that's the thing.

on a stock engine, with your mileage, #1 doesn't make sense, #3 doesn't make sense, unless someone milled the heads, and #4 shouldn't be necessary.

so that leaves #2 which is only possible with a reprogram of the computer.

you might check your thermostat, but your problem doesn't add up.

Did you ever take it to a dealer?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote

Did you ever take it to a dealer?
No. And i probably won't be able to. I don't have the money to pay a dealer to tell me whats wrong, or get my comp reprogramed. Thats y i asked the forum...I vaguly remember readin a thread similar to my question, and someone suggested getting colder plugs. That's really my question. Would colder plugs eliminate the problem?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrspony
No. And i probably won't be able to. I don't have the money to pay a dealer to tell me whats wrong, or get my comp reprogramed. Thats y i asked the forum...I vaguly remember readin a thread similar to my question, and someone suggested getting colder plugs. That's really my question. Would colder plugs eliminate the problem?
It may mask the problem, but the underlying problem will still be there. It won't fix the problem.

Is it the original engine?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Yea the engine is original. Everything under the hood is original...
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to 1994sn95
Hey do u know if anyone ever advanced the timing on the car? Its a popular thing to do with the mustang to get a few extra horses out of the motor. If the timing is advanced too much it would lead to pinging. Also when timing is advanced higher octane fuel is required to prevent pinging, which kinda sounds like ur situation. Well since ur dad owned the car, see if he knows anyhting about a timing adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page