need basic radio wiring help..... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006 Thread Starter

need basic radio wiring help.....

greetings, my wife "accidently" bought a 96 mustang with a v6 in it thru ebay. i flew to pick it up in florida and drive it back... it's full of small headaches. this particular headache is that there is no radio or cd player in it. so i went back on ebay and bought a 2 piece radio and a cd player set to go in it that came out of a 98 mustang.

this is what the auction description said :

" ford factory radio and single cd player out of a 98 mustang gt with mach 460 sound, will also fit many other vehicles.there is some wear on the volume buttons but other than that it works perfectly. "

i went to install the thing and i don't seem to find enough connections for both of them. the ends are not cut up or anything like that. the radio part has an antena connected, one longer connector connected, and one "squarish" 8 pin connector also connected. there seems to be nothing to connect the cd player at all. the radio comes on but you can only barely hear one of the speakers on the back dash working. the cd player is just laying over ther in the passenger seat looking pathetic.

if you have any ideas what the heck i'm supposed to do at this point, i'm all ears! any help would be greatly appreciated.

please be simple in your answers becouse i am not familiar with this at all.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006

Well, what you do from here is dependent on how much money/time you want to spend.

The basic problem is that the Mach460-equipped Mustangs had almost completely different audio wiring/speakers from the normal Mustangs.

I converted my base factory audio system (my Mustang came with a nonfunctional POS aftermarket head unit/CD player) to the Mach460 system. I can post up a detailed walkthrough if you want; it'll take about $250-400 worth of parts off of eBay (or a salvage yard) and you'll basically strip your car interior to rewire the audio system (takes about 2-3 hours if you know what you're doing).

Or, you can buy an aftermarket head unit ($ varies wildly depending on quality) and a wiring adapter ($20 maybe?) and use the basic audio system existing and resell the Mach460 head unit/CD player.

Or, you can buy a factory nonMach460 head unit on eBay, use all the existing wiring, and resell the Mach460 head unit/CD player.

The Mach460 unit WILL NOT work with the base audio system (at least, not without some fancy custom wiring, and it'd probably sound like garbage afterwards).

Let me know if you need that walkthrough - it's long.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006 Thread Starter

nope... i'm not really interested in doing all that work.

not to imply i shun work... i already have a plate full.

i guess i should have looked into it more before i bought this one. i'll just get a regular one and stick it in there and just resell this one.

thank you very much for your reply. i'm glad for it becouse i could have really been chasing my tail! :thumbsup

one more thing, in the term "aftermarket head unit" i assume you're talking about a regular nonstock stereo that you would buy from somewhere like walmart that could go in any car... correct? i have one of those already i just remembered. that might be an easy out...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006

Yes, aftermarket = anything nonfactory. All you'd need is a wiring pigtail adapter for the Mustang and make sure the radio fits an single-DIN slot (if not, there are adapter kits for that, too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in