Help with Exhaust/Performance problem - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006 Thread Starter
 
TEWright's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 16
 
Help with Exhaust/Performance problem

I have read through all the post on the X vs. H vs. Y pipe and all that goes a long with it. I bought a Pypes high-flo catted X-pipe and Pro-V series muffler kit for my 2004 V-6 Mustang and had it installed. The installation was a pain in the neck (took three visits to two different shops to get it right but that's another story) but the sound is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for...

Now the problem. I notice what seems to be a slight decrease in torque/power? from the switch from 2 1/4" pipes to a 2 1/2" pipe. I also upgraded to 17x9 chrome bullit rims at the same time with 235/45/17 inch tires. I also have seen a decrease in MPG and this really has me scratching my head. I am no mechanical genius but feel I am a fair. I have done some work myself and all but this really has me baffled. I expected an increase in HP with I notice but the punch seems to be missing, especially when upshifting in the higher gears. What are some recommendations to gain this punch back that I seem to have lost? I am kind of tapped now funds wise with the exhaust system and rims purchase but would like you all to suggest some options for me to explore.

Would it help to dyno and tune the chip? Will a TB Spacer deliver some power as they ads claim?

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!

Tommy

TEWright is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006
 
MylilPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 71
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEWright
I have read through all the post on the X vs. H vs. Y pipe and all that goes a long with it. I bought a Pypes high-flo catted X-pipe and Pro-V series muffler kit for my 2004 V-6 Mustang and had it installed. The installation was a pain in the neck (took three visits to two different shops to get it right but that's another story) but the sound is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for...

Now the problem. I notice what seems to be a slight decrease in torque/power? from the switch from 2 1/4" pipes to a 2 1/2" pipe. I also upgraded to 17x9 chrome bullit rims at the same time with 235/45/17 inch tires. I also have seen a decrease in MPG and this really has me scratching my head. I am no mechanical genius but feel I am a fair. I have done some work myself and all but this really has me baffled. I expected an increase in HP with I notice but the punch seems to be missing, especially when upshifting in the higher gears. What are some recommendations to gain this punch back that I seem to have lost? I am kind of tapped now funds wise with the exhaust system and rims purchase but would like you all to suggest some options for me to explore.

Would it help to dyno and tune the chip? Will a TB Spacer deliver some power as they ads claim?

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!

Tommy
I'm no pro but the consensus on this forum is that 2.5" is too big for a 6-banger..... I was looking into purchasing 2.5" flows and someone recommended that I have them (the exhaust shop) put in restrictors to increase back pressure. It seems like the more people i hear from regarding exhaust the more confused i get... everyone says something different....
also the TB spacers supposedly dont do anything for the 100 bucks it costs for the piece.... its all helix circular flow hocus pocus i believe... but what do i know
hope this helps some

MylilPony is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEWright
I have read through all the post on the X vs. H vs. Y pipe and all that goes a long with it. I bought a Pypes high-flo catted X-pipe and Pro-V series muffler kit for my 2004 V-6 Mustang and had it installed. The installation was a pain in the neck (took three visits to two different shops to get it right but that's another story) but the sound is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for...

Now the problem. I notice what seems to be a slight decrease in torque/power? from the switch from 2 1/4" pipes to a 2 1/2" pipe. I also upgraded to 17x9 chrome bullit rims at the same time with 235/45/17 inch tires. I also have seen a decrease in MPG and this really has me scratching my head. I am no mechanical genius but feel I am a fair. I have done some work myself and all but this really has me baffled. I expected an increase in HP with I notice but the punch seems to be missing, especially when upshifting in the higher gears. What are some recommendations to gain this punch back that I seem to have lost? I am kind of tapped now funds wise with the exhaust system and rims purchase but would like you all to suggest some options for me to explore.

Would it help to dyno and tune the chip? Will a TB Spacer deliver some power as they ads claim?

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!

Tommy
your exhaust is too big for the cam, and your wheels are also too big, and are sucking out all the torque. Too much rotating mass.

put in some restrictors, and see if you can swap to 16x8 or 17x8s would be the cheapest way of getting your numbers back.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006 Thread Starter
 
TEWright's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 16
 
But what about the TB Spacer? Would having the chip re programmed with the SCT do any good to help? How about gears? I really want to keep the Wheels and tires. Where can I go to look at some information about restrictors for the exhaust. The first I ever heard of this was when you suggested it. Thanks again for the help....
TEWright is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEWright
But what about the TB Spacer? Would having the chip re programmed with the SCT do any good to help? How about gears? I really want to keep the Wheels and tires. Where can I go to look at some information about restrictors for the exhaust. The first I ever heard of this was when you suggested it. Thanks again for the help....
TB spacers do nothing. Don't waste your money.

SCT or DiabloSport's programmers will help, but you're gonna have to switch to 91+ octane.

For restrictors, any muffler shop can hook you up.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006
Rookie
 
ts3096's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Harrisonville, NJ
Posts: 32
 
Losing the "punch" is from switching to the larger tube, you lost your exhaust gas velocity at low rpm. When the motor is at low rpm, the exhaust is not restrictive, rather it needs the smaller tube to maintain exhaust gas velocity. The motor still makes the power upstairs because it is pumping more EG and is less restircted with the larger tube. Its a trade off that everyone faces, low end torque or high end power. If you want to get your "punch" back go with the restictors, but you risk losing the power increase at higher rpm.

As for your loss in MPG, it is probably from lost exhaust efficiency at low rpm where you do your normal driving. The restrictors will help with that, but with some hp cost.

I think your best bet is to equip the motor to use the 2 1/2" pipes. If you don't already have it, but a CAI on it. It will help the motor intake more air, creating more exhaust, making the 2 1/2 pipes more efficient. It won't make a dramatic difference, but it will help.
ts3096 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006 Thread Starter
 
TEWright's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 16
 
ts3096.....I already have the Demolet Tunable Induction intake. I noticed the last few days that my rpms were staying at about 1200-1330 when I downshifted upon coming to a stop so I reset the computer again today. I got to thinking about it and the computer was reset after the initial instaal but once the second shop done the job right I never reset it. The first shop did a really bad job and the system was leaking. I got the owner of Meinke to work on it for me Saturday and I never reset the computer once the install was done right. I got about 18 MPG over the last week but I filled it up tonight after I reset the computer again and I'll continue to keep an eye on it. Thanks all for the help and advice about this. Does anyone know where I can find a shop in South Carolina that has a dyno where they can test my car and maybe do a chip reprogram? I am around Columbia, SC and have asked around but have been unsuccessful in finding one. This should help right?
TEWright is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3096
Losing the "punch" is from switching to the larger tube, you lost your exhaust gas velocity at low rpm. When the motor is at low rpm, the exhaust is not restrictive, rather it needs the smaller tube to maintain exhaust gas velocity. The motor still makes the power upstairs because it is pumping more EG and is less restircted with the larger tube. Its a trade off that everyone faces, low end torque or high end power. If you want to get your "punch" back go with the restictors, but you risk losing the power increase at higher rpm.

As for your loss in MPG, it is probably from lost exhaust efficiency at low rpm where you do your normal driving. The restrictors will help with that, but with some hp cost.

I think your best bet is to equip the motor to use the 2 1/2" pipes. If you don't already have it, but a CAI on it. It will help the motor intake more air, creating more exhaust, making the 2 1/2 pipes more efficient. It won't make a dramatic difference, but it will help.
The problem is the cam,heads, etc you open up too much, and the cam can't support the flow. You've moved the velocity out of the range of the engine.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overheating/fan problem lodin V6 Tech 9 08-21-2008 03:52 PM
68 Mustang Power Steering Problem mikea213 Classic Tech 3 11-26-2006 05:48 AM
New Tech and Lounge subforums.. So What Do You Think? kj_cinci 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 31 01-03-2006 07:48 AM
Skipping CD Problem ski 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech 4 12-31-2004 08:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1