3.8L head gasket issues? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006 Thread Starter

3.8L head gasket issues?

Hello good mustang fans,
I'm interested in a plain Jane 1995 3.8L V6 Mustang. It is in my price range ($3,200) and has 110,000 miles.

The 3.8L's reputation for blowing head gaskets has put me off. Is this something I should worry about? Should I factor in new gaskets in the price (talk the seller down to $2,500) or just look into an Accord or Eclipse?

If I do replace the gaskets, how many miles should I expect? I'm guessing I could get better than stock gaskets that will last longer, but I don't want to spend $3,000 only to have to replace an engine in the first year.

I live on a small island and don't even drive to work. I just want a Stang for the weekend. I'm not going to be burning rubber or anything, it's just that when I was 16 (ten years ago) I went for a ride in a 1993 Mustang Cobra and had the time of my life. :-)

It's great to see so many Mustang fans.
A.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
To be honest every 3.8 I have taken apart to replace head gasket for someone had a cracked head not a blown gasket. I have never replaced a gasket on a 94-Mustang I do a lot of work on older Cougar and Thunderbirds(86-89) so not sure if the head problem was solved till the late 99- cars.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytang
To be honest every 3.8 I have taken apart to replace head gasket for someone had a cracked head not a blown gasket. I have never replaced a gasket on a 94-Mustang I do a lot of work on older Cougar and Thunderbirds(86-89) so not sure if the head problem was solved till the late 99- cars.
Can you tell me if the cracked head was caused by the gasket, or is it just a sub par head? Approx. how much is a head replacement? I'm guess the thing to do is drive it until you crack it and hope that's the only damage. Then replace it with a performace head that will last.

In your honest opinion, is a 1994-1998 3.8L Mustang with 100,000 miles worth the trouble? Perhaps I should find a GT (don't need a V8) or a 1993 (don't like the body style as much).
I can't afford a 1999 :-(

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
The gaskets have been fine but something that is strange out of 20 cars I bet 18 have been the right head. In my area you can get a 94-95 5.0 for $5000 in excellent condition and my son found one that needed a new hood and windshield for $3500 because the hood flew up from a bad latch. A used head from the yard cost $100 then have them tanked and checked for cracks which cost me $75 then gaskets and labor.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006

I just bought my 98 v6 about a month ago and i love it.... its no GT which i was in the market for originally but its got its "competitive advantage" over one... i.e. gas mileage

someone down the block from me has a 96 gt so i guess if sumone wants to steal a mustang they'll steal his before mine lol
also i live in new york and i got a great deal on my stang .... 3000 bucks, black-57000 miles, tan leather.. so u might be able to find a better deal than what ur getting currently ... who knows
i talked the dealer down and didnt let him pry any more $ out of my hands....i went to the dealer to look at a $15,000 monte carlo ss and wound up with a $3,000 mustang... couldnt be happier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in