will this work - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006 Thread Starter

will this work

i have been looking at this for some time and have been thinking about getting the set . Has anyone bought this and is it worth the money would you feel the gain in horse power ?I am looking at option b the intake pac
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/newv6m.htm
thanks in advance
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddunn
i have been looking at this for some time and have been thinking about getting the set . Has anyone bought this and is it worth the money would you feel the gain in horse power ?I am looking at option b the intake pac
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/newv6m.htm
thanks in advance
steve
The underdrive pulley is definitely worth it.

I wouldn't trust the water pump pulley, and the CAI isn't any better than a drop in K&N filter.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006 Thread Starter

what about the 70 mm throttle body do you think its just a farse ?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
what about the 70 mm throttle body do you think its just a farse ?
Not unless you have a power adder or a pretty healthy cam.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

so if I bought power option A (underdrive pullys) you dont think I should swap the water pump pully? would the belt still fit if I didnt? this package doesnt underdrive the alternator?

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

also whats a harmonic balancer? I just sold my old truck and I have some extra cash to blow, mayby on this:eyepoppin

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex117
so if I bought power option A (underdrive pullys) you dont think I should swap the water pump pully? would the belt still fit if I didnt? this package doesnt underdrive the alternator?
All of the pulleys run off the crank pulley, which is connected to the harmonic balancer. It's 1 unit.

So, the alternator is already underdriven by the crank pulley.

Call them to make sure the belt is the correct size.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
also whats a harmonic balancer? I just sold my old truck and I have some extra cash to blow, mayby on this:eyepoppin
It balances the rotating mass of the engine.

Whether or not you blow it on this, kinda depends on your budget, your goals, and your plans . . .

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

$250 bucks is well within my range, and as far as my goals go I'm not 100% sure but right now I'm thinkin about being able to hang with or beat a 99-04 GT. This summer I'm gunna try to break into engine work (heads, cam, valve springs) but I figure the pulleys would be easy no attachments power.

-Ronald Reagan
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to GuitarstarX7
underdrive pulleys

I have a 2004 and I got option "A" with the water pump and 42% crank pulley. The belt they send will work whether you put the water pump pulley on or not. They sent me a water pump pulley that was slightly different looking than in the picture. It looked better; they said it was the 2nd generation one. The only thing was that when i put the water pump pulley on, the part of the belt that runs on top of it was very close to the part that runs right above it near the alternator. I havent had any problems with them.

2004 3.9L/auto
-Mac CAI, 73mm Mass Air
-Dual Flowmaster 40s, H pipe, 2.25 in pipe
-42% Underdrive Pulleys
-SCT Tuned
-4.10 Gears & Trac-lok

Last edited by GuitarstarX7; 02-15-2006 at 02:59 PM.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
$250 bucks is well within my range, and as far as my goals go I'm not 100% sure but right now I'm thinkin about being able to hang with or beat a 99-04 GT. This summer I'm gunna try to break into engine work (heads, cam, valve springs) but I figure the pulleys would be easy no attachments power.
The underdriver never hurts!

But to get a 99-04 GT, you've really got to plan. You've got the goal, now you need a budget and a plan.

They've got a power to weight ratio of approximately 12.5-13 lbs/hp.

ours have 16.

to match a 99+ GT it's going to take $3000-4000, no matter how you cut it.

Whether it's engine work + N2O, or SC+ intake porting & exhaust, or fairly extensive lightening + either of the other options.

The pre -99 GT's are an easier target with 15 lbs/hp. You can get into the ballpark with bolt-on hp or even by taking 150lbs off the car, and helping the car to hook.

Lets say you added 20hp with boltons.

you'd have to still remove 325 lbs to get into the ballpark . . .

-It's doable, plastic rear & side glass, carbon fiber hood decklid & driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, revoved rear seats, and replaed fronts with middle to light weight seats, but even then, the pieces will cost $3-4000.

So let's say you took an easy 162.5 lbs off the car.

you'd need to make 229 hp. That's also doable, but you're going to need some head & intake work, a more aggressive cam, etc.

Is this making any sense?

So some people go all out on power, but leave the weight in, or start adding weight with wheels, tires, stereo equipment, etc, and end up shooting themselves in the foot, and wondering why they're so slow. Add a couple of hundred lbs of stereo equipment and suddenly you've got to make 250-260 hp, which is REALLY tough unless you go with a stroker, etc.

GT Member
V6 Member

I know weight is important but I dont want to do stuff like rear seat delete because I like my car the way it looks. Also, beating a 99-04 gt is not an immediate goal; I have no problem taking the long way to get there.

And you right, power isn't everything, I really need to start getting suspension and grip work done. Anyways, it sounds like the pulleys aren't a bad idea as long as I dont swap the water pump pulley.

-Ronald Reagan
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to GuitarstarX7
water pump pulley

hey, what do you all have against the water pump pulley, its almost exactly the same as stock just slightly larger, and lighter. It may not really do anything power wise, but it looks nice. The only thing that it is doing is turning the water pump slightly slower. The coolant temp is in the exact spot as it was before the pulleys were put on. As far as water pump cavitation, the pulleys would reduce/prevent it because cavitation happens at high rpms.

2004 3.9L/auto
-Mac CAI, 73mm Mass Air
-Dual Flowmaster 40s, H pipe, 2.25 in pipe
-42% Underdrive Pulleys
-SCT Tuned
-4.10 Gears & Trac-lok
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006 Thread Starter

K well i have a flowmaster exhaust and the under drive pulley kit and i still want some more oumf with out getting into the superchargers and nos what would gives you the best bang for your buck ??
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
K well i have a flowmaster exhaust and the under drive pulley kit and i still want some more oumf with out getting into the superchargers and nos what would gives you the best bang for your buck ??

What year car do you have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page