Castrol Synthetic Oil - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Castrol Synthetic Oil

I just saw the tv commerical for Castrol Synthetic motor oil and it claims that it "frees up horsepower," and gives your car added performance. Just wondering if anyone has used it, and if it does in fact work. Also, if it does work, how much hp gain if at all. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticus56
I just saw the tv commerical for Castrol Synthetic motor oil and it claims that it "frees up horsepower," and gives your car added performance. Just wondering if anyone has used it, and if it does in fact work. Also, if it does work, how much hp gain if at all. Thanks
Yes it will free up hp, maybe 2-3, but it's an expensive proposition compared to semi-synthetics. Bang for buck is low.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
Rookie

The synthetic oil is definitely worth some power. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is worth in you street car, but I have built a few high HP BBC's, and through dyno testing, have seen as much as 15 HP in switching from conventional 10W-30 to a Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3096
The synthetic oil is definitely worth some power. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is worth in you street car, but I have built a few high HP BBC's, and through dyno testing, have seen as much as 15 HP in switching from conventional 10W-30 to a Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30.
yeah, but it's a smaller bore/stroke (MUCH smaller than a BBC) so the effect will be much smaller due to a much smaller surface ares, and the testing was already done using motorcraft semi-synth. it won't be that dramatic.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
yeah, but it's a smaller bore/stroke (MUCH smaller than a BBC) so the effect will be much smaller due to a much smaller surface ares, and the testing was already done using motorcraft semi-synth. it won't be that dramatic.
Yeah, you're definitely right, I couldn't imagine more than 5, depending what you are switching from. But, I would still reccomend the syn. if you don't change your oil right on time, just for the added protection.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3096
Yeah, you're definitely right, I couldn't imagine more than 5, depending what you are switching from. But, I would still reccomend the syn. if you don't change your oil right on time, just for the added protection.
you'd probably get more from switching your rear gear fluid for full synth . ..

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006

I heard that if your car is higher millage and you switch over to synthetic you could develop/uncover leaks. Is that true?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfieldracin
I heard that if your car is higher millage and you switch over to synthetic you could develop/uncover leaks. Is that true?
I've heard that about transmissions, but not engines . . .

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfieldracin
I've seen it occur in transmissions, it happened to me, and I've heard of that happening to people with thier engine oil, but I have never actually seen that occur. The leak is normally from a small crack in the gasket. But the instances I have seen this happen were in older cars that used either a paper or cork gasket. With today's rubbuer/silicon gaskets, that should not be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page