control arms - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006 Thread Starter
 
MylilPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 71
 
control arms

hey guys.... i have a question
i apparently need to replace my front control arms... im not sure if its upper or lower or both... or even if there is upper and lower on the front... .anyway the mechanic told me (i got my car serviced today and this is not covered in my limited warranty) to buy aftermarket ones as they are cheaper and weigh less than the stock OEM's.
anyway.... which are the best ones to buy, how much do they cost, and will i be able to do this myself?
also, i have to change the springs in the back.... i looked in a magazine and all they advertize is lowering springs... i dont want to lower my car because im going to do a side exhaust and i dont want there to be clearance issues..... so basically what im asking is are there springs that are upgrades from stock which will not drop my car?
thanks for the help!

MylilPony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilPony
hey guys.... i have a question
i apparently need to replace my front control arms... im not sure if its upper or lower or both... or even if there is upper and lower on the front... .anyway the mechanic told me (i got my car serviced today and this is not covered in my limited warranty) to buy aftermarket ones as they are cheaper and weigh less than the stock OEM's.
anyway.... which are the best ones to buy, how much do they cost, and will i be able to do this myself?
also, i have to change the springs in the back.... i looked in a magazine and all they advertize is lowering springs... i dont want to lower my car because im going to do a side exhaust and i dont want there to be clearance issues..... so basically what im asking is are there springs that are upgrades from stock which will not drop my car?
thanks for the help!
Why would you need front A- arms?

THey are pretty sturdy, and I've never seen a situation where they "needed" to be replaced." That said, the cheapest thing to do would be to pick up replacements at a salvage yard.

As far as aftermarket A-arms go, Griggs and Kenny Brown have a-arms that significantly improve handling by extending the wheelbase. The cost depends on the finishing.

The Cobra R is dropped, and there are no clearance issues. If you go lower than 1.5" you'll have some problems . .. .

But the ride height is set for running chains in snow, not for clearance of road obstacles.


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter
 
MylilPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 71
 
hey kyscote... thanks for replying (again) .... these A-arms that you're speaking of are in fact the shape of an A right?..... i have a 98 mustang, are there A arms on there now or is it something that I would upgrade to? how much do these run? also, u said these are adjustable, can i do them at home in the driveway? and what is the optimal adjustments?
MylilPony is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilPony
hey kyscote... thanks for replying (again) .... these A-arms that you're speaking of are in fact the shape of an A right?..... i have a 98 mustang, are there A arms on there now or is it something that I would upgrade to? how much do these run? also, u said these are adjustable, can i do them at home in the driveway? and what is the optimal adjustments?
they are not adjustable. the only control arms on the front are the A-arms. You can get them with a wheelbase offset to improve handling and weight bias.

the cost depends on the finish and the offset.

I don't know how much they're running now, you'll have to go to griggs racing, maximum motorsports, Steeda, and Kenny Brown for pricing.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
I take that back!

www.griggsracing.com does have adjustable A-arms . ..

Don't know about the rest.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
www.steeda.com

does not have adjustable a-arms

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006 Thread Starter
 
MylilPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 71
 
will the steeda control arms effect anything else on the suspension i.e. will i have to change something else? below is a discription..... "This kit enables owners of 1994-04 Mustangs to upgrade to 2003 Cobra Mustang control arms. The kit features (2) front lower control arm assemblies with 50% stiffer rear bushings and low friction ball joints. This control arm has a redesigned stamping to improve the turning circle approximately 10% on 1994-98 Mustangs".

Will this change the alignment specs... etc?
MylilPony is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilPony
will the steeda control arms effect anything else on the suspension i.e. will i have to change something else? below is a discription..... "This kit enables owners of 1994-04 Mustangs to upgrade to 2003 Cobra Mustang control arms. The kit features (2) front lower control arm assemblies with 50% stiffer rear bushings and low friction ball joints. This control arm has a redesigned stamping to improve the turning circle approximately 10% on 1994-98 Mustangs".

Will this change the alignment specs... etc?
You'll have to get it aligned, yes.

What you'll have to change depends on the kit, with some you have to switch to coilovers. Best bet is to call and make sure you get what you need.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Control Arms outcry 4.6L Tech 5 05-27-2005 11:50 AM
Front control arms schlot 2.3L Tech 4 11-03-2004 02:25 PM
Lowering a 2000 Convertible with Eibach Pro Syst. Plus, do I need control arms? TarPony 4.6L Tech 3 05-26-2004 10:43 PM
Will I get any benefit from just changing out lower control arms? Twokingsracer 4.6L Tech 12 12-26-2002 06:08 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1