3.9 liter specs sheet (newbie is just curious) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

3.9 liter specs sheet (newbie is just curious)

Hi I'm new here... I was wondering if anyone had a specs sheet for the 3.9 Liter V6 that came out in October 2003 for the 2004 Ford Mustang...Thank you...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Mustang
Hi I'm new here... I was wondering if anyone had a specs sheet for the 3.9 Liter V6 that came out in October 2003 for the 2004 Ford Mustang...Thank you...
Ford never published them. Costs were too high for a 1 year run. You can look up the windstar specs, they are similar . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

kscoyote, thanks... I'm a convert from a V6 Chevy Camaro and just wanted to be able to see for my self what differences and specs where for the engine. It feels like it is more torquey than the camaro's V6 3.8 Liter which had 200HP and 225TQ...

Thanks again.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
kscoyote, thanks... I'm a convert from a V6 Chevy Camaro and just wanted to be able to see for my self what differences and specs where for the engine. It feels like it is more torquey than the camaro's V6 3.8 Liter which had 200HP and 225TQ...

Thanks again.
Those are about the same numbers you will get from the mustang. It probally feels more torquey cause the stang is a touch lighter and has better gearing

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

So gearing and the fact that it isn't 3420 +/- a few pounds heavy like the my Camaro was, has that much of an effect?

I was expecting that because I loss 7 horsepower plus whatever horsepower the mods I had did to the Camaro gave it, would make Mustang seem slower and all, but I haven't noticed any slowness about it. In fact it is or feels a whole lot faster, and it doesn't take a lot of RPMs to get it to accelerate pretty fast. E.g. in the Camaro you could accelerate to 60 from 0 mph letting it shift (auto tranny) at about 3000 RPMs and in the mustang, watching the speedo you see the same acceleration and the car is doing a little less than 2500 RPMs and doing 40MPH @ somewhere around 1200RPMs, the Mustang has a pulling feel to it than the Camaro. So would it have that much of an effect...

Note that the Mustang has a 3.27 Rear Axle Gear and the Camaro had a 3.42 Rear Axle Gear
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
So gearing and the fact that it isn't 3420 +/- a few pounds heavy like the my Camaro was, has that much of an effect?

I was expecting that because I loss 7 horsepower plus whatever horsepower the mods I had did to the Camaro gave it, would make Mustang seem slower and all, but I haven't noticed any slowness about it. In fact it is or feels a whole lot faster, and it doesn't take a lot of RPMs to get it to accelerate pretty fast. E.g. in the Camaro you could accelerate to 60 from 0 mph letting it shift (auto tranny) at about 3000 RPMs and in the mustang, watching the speedo you see the same acceleration and the car is doing a little less than 2500 RPMs and doing 40MPH @ somewhere around 1200RPMs, the Mustang has a pulling feel to it than the Camaro. So would it have that much of an effect...

Note that the Mustang has a 3.27 Rear Axle Gear and the Camaro had a 3.42 Rear Axle Gear
put 300 lbs in the trunk, and see how it feels .. ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

Nice, I like Power balanced with Economy (both budget and fuel)... So I think not (in reference to the statement about putting 300 lbs in the trunk).

Is this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Es...%28Canadian%29 Which talks about the 3.9 only being like .004 added to the stroke, and that it is still a 3.8 liter engine. If that is so then why put 3.9L on the sticker under the hood.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Nice, I like Power balanced with Economy (both budget and fuel)... So I think not (in reference to the statement about putting 300 lbs in the trunk).

Is this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Es...%28Canadian%29 Which talks about the 3.9 only being like .004 added to the stroke, and that it is still a 3.8 liter engine. If that is so then why put 3.9L on the sticker under the hood.
wikipedia is good on history, but on cars, those people have no vetting process. I've found several errors, but I haven't taken the time to send them an e-mail to correct them . ..

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

Oh,

Off topic:
What do you use? About.com or something...

Just curious...
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Oh,

Off topic:
What do you use? About.com or something...

Just curious...
Dealership, engine rebuilders, other sources from FoMoCo.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

Oh,

Back on topic...

I guess it is just a 3.8 liter with a .1 liter added with no additional power adders. I quess it makes about the same power and torque.

Thanks for all of you all's help...
Later...
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Oh,

Back on topic...

I guess it is just a 3.8 liter with a .1 liter added with no additional power adders. I quess it makes about the same power and torque.

Thanks for all of you all's help...
Later...
my sources claim 3hp/tq. It's impossible to increase displacement w/o increasing hp/tq everything else being the same. . .

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
my sources claim 3hp/tq. It's impossible to increase displacement w/o increasing hp/tq everything else being the same. . .
From what I had found it looks like it should produce 240 lbs ft of torque and the same horsepower 193... But I can't understand why people say that it doesn't...

When I took my mustang for a spin, I decided to rev to about 4500 rpm and when I went from idle to 3500 it pulled nice and strong just before 4000 rpm it started feeling like it was doing more reving than pulling and then about 4500 it started pulling again. I decided to call it quits there though, because I felt like I had prove my point to my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page