"The Turbonator..." - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
sparticus56's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 64
 
"The Turbonator..."

Just curious to see if anyone has used this product or anything similar to it...and if there were any hp gains or increased gas mileage as it claims. Thanks.
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=overture

sparticus56 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006
mbhmustang1998
Guest
 
mbhmustang1998's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
From what i have read in EVERY forums its a piece of crap and better used as a paper weight.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
 
5.0 in a 66's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Parkersburg
Posts: 682
 
Your kidding right?

66 coupe 5.0/T5, home-brewed power 4 wheel disc setup, 350hp+, looks like it belongs in 1968
5.0 in a 66 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006
 
Eleanor_Mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 61
 
No he's not kidding...

The turbonator is a piece of crap... you get more performance from adding a 30 pound statue to the hood of the car, than you get from that...

EDIT= I felt like I need to clarify my last statement above.
The even if you use that device it doesn't move and thus wouldn't help add power and by the time the air moves to the back of the engine and then has to move forward into the intake ports it would have lost its swirling action. If you take any form of aerodynamics or fluid-dynamics, then you can see that the only way to use something to swirl the are is to use something like a supercharger or turbocharger. If you think about formula 1 cars or even stock high performance cars like Ferrari's and Lambo's , they don't have any type of device like that to swirl the air. They as well as most of us here would go with getting a ram air intake or an upgraded cold air intake or just use the stock equipment. In the Lambo's and Ferrari's case, I would use the stock equipment because they have specially design air ports that allow lots of air to go into the intakes to be forced into the engine.
Eleanor_Mustang is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
 
Tominator's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cahokia
Posts: 3,106
 
It works perfectly!....a fool and his money....

SEARCH!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Tominator is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006
 
Eleanor_Mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 61
 
I don't know about you... But my V6 has variable intakes (long runners and really short runners)...

If you go to this site (NOTE: wikipedia has some questionable stuff on it in other areas.) but this is practically factual (being its something I read on other sites as well...) Here is the website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_intake

The part about the swirl is the way I think my variable intakes work. So you don't need the turbonator at all.
Eleanor_Mustang is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JEB's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Vicksburg
Posts: 1,916
 
Dear God,,,,,,,

Not AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lock :lock :lock

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
JEB is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006
 
Eleanor_Mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 61
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB
Dear God,,,,,,,

Not AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lock :lock :lock
I am just offering an alternative to that individual. Your response isn't called for...

Besides you are a GT driver that only has a stock single stage intake, not a variable. And you aren't even suppose to be in here because this is for V6 owners only.

For all of you that don't know what a variable intake is, here is a picture of one...

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/00mustang/gallery7.html This is not my car, but its a V6 with a 3.8L that has the variable intake as well...

Types of cars that use this are the Acura NSX, Toyota Supra (non turbo), Nissan 350Z (I believe, not absolutely sure), and some pocket rockets, just to name a few. I didn't have this feature in my Camaro but now that I have it I love it. Even though you have an OHV engine you can stil get the preformance of a DOHC out of it to a degree, because Ford was kind-enough to put it on Ford Mustang V6 engines from (???? -2004 and the new V6's have it as well), Proven technology...


NOTE: I may be wrong about the swirl or resonance one... The reason is because 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder inline engines usually use the swirl effect. The resonance effect is usually used by Boxster and V-style engines.

here is another site that tells you more...
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...h_engine_2.htm
Eleanor_Mustang is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006
GT Member
V6 Member
 
tex117's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: San Marcos
Posts: 1,490
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Mustang
I am just offering an alternative to that individual. Your response isn't called for...

Besides you are a GT driver that only has a stock single stage intake, not a variable. And you aren't even suppose to be in here because this is for V6 owners only.
Hey man don't talk crap to JEB, he's been here alot longer than you rookie. All he was doin was making a joke, and as long as he is not bashing the v6 he's got more right to be here than you.

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
tex117 is offline  
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JEB's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Vicksburg
Posts: 1,916
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Mustang
I am just offering an alternative to that individual. Your response isn't called for...

Besides you are a GT driver that only has a stock single stage intake, not a variable. And you aren't even suppose to be in here because this is for V6 owners only.

For all of you that don't know what a variable intake is, here is a picture of one...

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/00mustang/gallery7.html This is not my car, but its a V6 with a 3.8L that has the variable intake as well...

Types of cars that use this are the Acura NSX, Toyota Supra (non turbo), Nissan 350Z (I believe, not absolutely sure), and some pocket rockets, just to name a few. I didn't have this feature in my Camaro but now that I have it I love it. Even though you have an OHV engine you can stil get the preformance of a DOHC out of it to a degree, because Ford was kind-enough to put it on Ford Mustang V6 engines from (???? -2004 and the new V6's have it as well), Proven technology...


NOTE: I may be wrong about the swirl or resonance one... The reason is because 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder inline engines usually use the swirl effect. The resonance effect is usually used by Boxster and V-style engines.

here is another site that tells you more...
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...h_engine_2.htm
Tex had me picked. I was only joking, and for the people who've been here awhile, or lurked awhile, or read the posts awhile, can tell you, there are about 20 other threads on "the turdinator."

The modular engines have something like this built in that fixed some issues with the ealier versions of the engine. So, adding a turdinator would be a waste of time, and money.

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
JEB is offline  
 
Eleanor_Mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 61
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB
Tex had me picked. I was only joking, and for the people who've been here awhile, or lurked awhile, or read the posts awhile, can tell you, there are about 20 other threads on "the turdinator."

The modular engines have something like this built in that fixed some issues with the ealier versions of the engine. So, adding a turdinator would be a waste of time, and money.
You are wrong about that... The modular's are all single stage intakes because they are meant for power, not driveability. (I have done lots of research on Mustangs and other cars and the mustang gt doesn't include variable intakes. They have intakes that are single stage and that accelerate air into the cylinders but they don't have the little bump in horsepower that occurs about 3700 rpms that the v6 has. This bump is when the variable intake changes from long to short runners. The power is increasing smoothly and then a sudden decrease in the steady climb and then it starts pulling strong again.

Sorry, but I don't have a sense of humor... But I do apologize...
Eleanor_Mustang is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Mustang
You are wrong about that... The modular's are all single stage intakes because they are meant for power, not driveability. (I have done lots of research on Mustangs and other cars and the mustang gt doesn't include variable intakes. They have intakes that are single stage and that accelerate air into the cylinders but they don't have the little bump in horsepower that occurs about 3700 rpms that the v6 has. This bump is when the variable intake changes from long to short runners. The power is increasing smoothly and then a sudden decrease in the steady climb and then it starts pulling strong again.

Sorry, but I don't have a sense of humor... But I do apologize...
The swirl comes from the head design, not the intake. the variable intake increases volume.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JEB's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Vicksburg
Posts: 1,916
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Mustang
You are wrong about that... The modular's are all single stage intakes because they are meant for power, not driveability. (I have done lots of research on Mustangs and other cars and the mustang gt doesn't include variable intakes. They have intakes that are single stage and that accelerate air into the cylinders but they don't have the little bump in horsepower that occurs about 3700 rpms that the v6 has. This bump is when the variable intake changes from long to short runners. The power is increasing smoothly and then a sudden decrease in the steady climb and then it starts pulling strong again.

Sorry, but I don't have a sense of humor... But I do apologize...
No, you are wrong.

The modular engine in it's first "steppings" had an issue with airflow.
I don't know the technical details, but there were, for lack of better word, "deflectors" put in somewhere that did something with the airflow that made improvements.

I am not going to spend time to research this for you. There have been numerous threads here on the subject, with multiple people posting the same results.

Maybe on some cars this is a great upgrade, but is not needed for the Modular engine in it's current form.

Hey, maybe everyone else is worng on this, but I'll stick with the current "popular" opinion from the folks who know a hell of alot more than I do.

I also apologize for your lack of humor appreciation, don'[t take my post personally, I was only trying to get chuckles from people to lighten their day...

Good luck! If you get it, why don't you post your before and after dyno results, or mpg tracking results. You may be right, and if so, everyone may learn from it.:thumbsup

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
JEB is offline  
 
Eleanor_Mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 61
 
hay JEB, I would but I am not the one that wanted it... I however remember seeing something about like it before it was called the Tornado Air Management System which works and is practically the same device as the turbonator. I found this on About.com (I trust about.com's information because it is usually what my instructors want and what they trust)...

Here is the site...
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/produ...afpr052002.htm

For those who don't like reading. He says, that it increased the gas mileage in 2 of the 3 test cars by .2-.4 mpg and that in 1 of the 3 it decreased it by .4 mpg. The drivers noted they felt more power. He dyno tested the cars again and they had exactly the same horsepower as they had before (without the tornado or turbonator air thingy)...

So, no I am not going to test it because it is a was of $60 dollars that could go into a cold air intake or a shaker hood for my v6.

NOTE: I don't usually trust what people say unless they can give me factual proof of their claims, which is why I usually post a website that has some proof of what I am claiming on it.
Eleanor_Mustang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Always Off Topic Gang" Stoenr 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 7469 05-21-2019 08:33 PM
Help naming "The Girls" 2horseowner 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 15 11-21-2005 07:37 PM
Anyone have experience with "The Spoiler Factory" Hlifino 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 3 06-01-2005 09:17 PM
"The Call" wb7x 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 8 02-02-2005 09:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1