Water pump bearing or center support bearing - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006 Thread Starter

Water pump bearing or center support bearing

Hey guys Im new here,
About 5 weeks ago I baught a 97 V6 5spd mustang . It was clean as could be and well maintainedand serviced every 3000 miles.It has 100,000 miles on it and being a collage student who lives in a dorm I put barley any miles on it.
and I don't beat on it or any thing like that.A cuple weeks ago it started making a intermitent sqweeking noise like a bad belt or water pump bering. My auto instuctor said it said the water pump was bad. The noise has went away in the last week but I buaght a new water pump and was going to replace it today in auto shop. When I got to class the instuctor said " I had a ford 3.8 with the same simptome com into the shop and it was not the wather pump. It was the center support bearing. So we had it running durring class but could not produce the noise so we could not diagnos it. I asked him what it would take to replace the center support bearing . He said I would be better off replacing the motor. Ok so how alarmed should I be? Is it just an intermitant noise that I should Just live with? or is the motor on its last legs
and could blow in the near fuiture? Also Im planning to drive it home for spring break in two which is about 400-450 miles one way. It made the trip here a month ago But with this problem I hope it makes it.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

If it were the bearing, it could only get worse and not better.

A slightly loose alternator belt will give a sound like a bearing just as a thought.

If you can't reproduce the sound and the belts are tight , I'd not worry about it.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

If your car's temperatur is starting to vary then more then likely its your spelling, I mean water pump.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006 Thread Starter

I did some research and found that the 96-98 v6 mustangs don't have the counter balance shaft. My teacher went on one of those computer scimatic program and printed diagram that says it does have the shaft. Since the water pump looks clean (along with the rest of the engine) he assumes that somone has approtched this problem before by replacing the water pump and that the problem is the counter balance shaft.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack01
I did some research and found that the 96-98 v6 mustangs don't have the counter balance shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack01
Since the water pump looks clean (along with the rest of the engine) he assumes that somone has approtched this problem before by replacing the water pump and that the problem is the counter balance shaft.
Contradicting yourself here man. Take it to ford for an oil change and see if they can find the problem for you, or let them know and they might search and do a diagnostic for free.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in