suspension - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006 Thread Starter

suspension

ok so im ordering the Bullitt suspension kit from ford racing - the kit includes front struts, rear shocks, front and rear springs, front and rear sway bar. Im also gettin front cobra control arms.... so i go to my mechanic and he said its gonna take him about 2 hours on the front and at least 1 hour on the rear....hes gonna charge me 300 total to put all the stuff i need in.... does this sound reasonable??? it sounds expensive to me.... if i wanted to do all the work myself, what tools am i going to need???? any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilPony
ok so im ordering the Bullitt suspension kit from ford racing - the kit includes front struts, rear shocks, front and rear springs, front and rear sway bar. Im also gettin front cobra control arms.... so i go to my mechanic and he said its gonna take him about 2 hours on the front and at least 1 hour on the rear....hes gonna charge me 300 total to put all the stuff i need in.... does this sound reasonable??? it sounds expensive to me.... if i wanted to do all the work myself, what tools am i going to need???? any help is appreciated!
yeah, that sounds about right. You'll need a spring compressor, torque wrench, a lift or a couple of jack stands . .. If you don't have them you can usually rent them, but you may only save around $100 if you don't already have the tools . ..

Figure $20-50+ for the jack stands etc, rent on the spring compressor $50 or so, a GOOD torque wrench is 30-50 dollars, and then you'll need a 4wheel alignment, which is gonna cost you $80 . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006

i dont know ???? i just did the drop on mine yesterday and yea it took awhile but if i knew what i was doing the first time it would not have taken that long at all good luck !!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddunn
i dont know ???? i just did the drop on mine yesterday and yea it took awhile but if i knew what i was doing the first time it would not have taken that long at all good luck !!
They're doing the control arms, too . .. and if I recall swapping out rear bushings?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
They're doing the control arms, too . .. and if I recall swapping out rear bushings?
well the reason im going with the cobra control arms is because they come with the bushings and the ball joints and they are an upgrade......
do u think i really really need a torque wrench?
i can get a spring compressor and i already have jackstands.....
wut else do u guys think about this job im gonna do?
thanks for the help as always
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006

its a good couple hrs work but if you are at all mechanicly inclined and have some time on your hands it is totaly possible . now if you are like me and would rather just have it done and not be bothered the three hundred bucks is worth it ??? kinda up to you really
good luck !!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006 Thread Starter

well the thing is.... its a combined cost of labor and the parts.... the cost of the parts run over 500 bucks... plus the 300 labor...... and this guys works pretty freakin slow - so 300 would be best case ... i dunno
who wants to buy a mustang :[
its a 98 with 58000 miles
this whole suspension thing is makin me crazy...i shoulda just bought a brand new stang
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006

trust me do it and you will be happy that ya did it sure makes it look way better !!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006 Thread Starter

recently ive had the problem of my car shaking- rather the steering wheel shakes when im going above 65mphs- but it doesnt happen below 60 and above 70 ..... will doing the suspension cure this problem? or could it be just an alignment....... the shaking gets more evident when i step on the brake..... i feel like all this stuff is related
what do u guys think?

if it is shaking when going down the highway and not touching the brakes only at certain speeds i would say your tires are in need of a balance . if it happens all the time i would say seperated tire . now if it happens only when you put your foot on the brakes warped rotors and that would be brakes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006 Thread Starter

yea... im pretty sure its a balancing issue.... the tires are basically brand new although im not sure what brand they are bc i havnt cared to look.... the car shakes with the foot on the brake..... it gets worse when i step on the brake until i slow down out of that 55-65 mph range.....
if its a balancing issue why wouldnt it do it all the time?
if its a roder - how much am i looking at spending to get that fixed.....
about 2 weeks ago i had a problem with what i thought was the brakes... it felt like they were grinding... except when my mechanic looked at them and took the whole thing apart he saw that the brakes were brand new...and everything seemed to be fine so he dismissed it and told me that it could be the metallic brakes - and they're just at a spot where theres a lot of metal- hence metal on metal
well that grinding has stopped... but now this shaking
eh i dunno

if it is the rotors they are not expensive at all !! and for sure do this job yourself there is a total of for bolts ( excluding the lugs that hold the tire on ) if i had to guess new rotors are probably 40 bucks each. you could always get them turned and any tire shop will do that for about ten bucks a rotor most people now adays just put on new ones
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddunn
if it is the rotors they are not expensive at all !! and for sure do this job yourself there is a total of for bolts ( excluding the lugs that hold the tire on ) if i had to guess new rotors are probably 40 bucks each. you could always get them turned and any tire shop will do that for about ten bucks a rotor most people now adays just put on new ones

thanks... u've been a huge help..... if u think of any other stuff or have anymore advice please post... it wont go unappreciated!!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilPony
recently ive had the problem of my car shaking- rather the steering wheel shakes when im going above 65mphs- but it doesnt happen below 60 and above 70 ..... will doing the suspension cure this problem? or could it be just an alignment....... the shaking gets more evident when i step on the brake..... i feel like all this stuff is related
what do u guys think?
could be a bad rotor. or an out of balance tire.

Have you tried the dealership?

Re: suspension. Do it my way. -2 things at a time.

This month, put in the struts - next month, or a couple of months later -shocks, after that front springs, etc.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006 Thread Starter

nope..... my 60-day warranty is now up... so im stuck with the problems.... they're no help over there anyway, i guess they didnt make enough on the car- i think i got a good deal, 3000 bux

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page