Jumping Temp gauge. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006 Thread Starter

Jumping Temp gauge.

Hey all new to site. My wife just got a 96 mustang 5 speed. I noticed we will be driving and the temp gauge acts normal. It doesn't get to hot. But when you put the pedal to the floor the gauge will drop from where it was at all the way to the low side. When you let your foot up it will go right back to where it was. I checked the antifreeze and it is fine. Doesn't have any leaks. The heater does take awhile to heat up, but the ac blows cold. Not sure what to look for.. Have read a few threads that metioned possible head gasket. Could this be the case? I haven"t seen any coolant around. I sometimes do notice a smell that does kind of remind me of antifreeze, but I have never seen it.. Any info would be great .. Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006

try changing your thermostat sounds like it is on its way out to me

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006 Thread Starter

hey thanks going to change this weekend.. I also noticed that it does not seem to drop when the car is sitting in idle.. I was watching it parked in the driveway and when in neutral I would floor it and the gauge would act normal.. but go to drive it and floor it the gauge drops out again.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006 Thread Starter

Well went to change themostat and there was not one on the car.. Hmmm maybe thats why it was overheating.. Geez some people.. Well I put one in and the wire that attaches to the temp sending unit was falling off.. Tightened up.. Gauge works great now.. But the car was still overheating..Went to drain the radiator and water would not come out the drain..Pulled lower hose off and just a little water came through.. Ran hose in top and would come pouring out the top of the radiator and slow trickle out the bottom, still nothin from the drain... Long story short replaced the radiator and the car runs great... I am very thankful we didn't mess anything else up.. We have had the car since NOV. Well thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page