Semi-Automatic Transmissions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06GTKING Send a message via Skype™ to 06GTKING
Question Semi-Automatic Transmissions?

I have been hearing about Semi-Automatic Transmissions on Mustangs. Does anyone know what this is all about? How does it work? Is there a clutch? Do you have to manually shift? Any info is appreciated.

2006 Mustang GT Coupe Automatic
Mods:
C&L Street Intake, 93 Octane Tune (Brenspeed & BamaTunes), Pypes Longtube Headers, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Axelbacks, FRPP 4.10's, 20x8.5 inch Godspeed Omega Deep Dish Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangV6Man
I have been hearing about Semi-Automatic Transmissions on Mustangs. Does anyone know what this is all about? How does it work? Is there a clutch? Do you have to manually shift? Any info is appreciated.
There are only a few running around, it uses Aston Martin technology, and was adapted by Tiger racing for paraplegics.

There was talk of having them as an option, but none have been produced.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. Before the 05 Mustangs came out I was looking into getting one and had a book on the options that would be available. I am not sure If I should post this question in the 05 forum but do you or anyone else know if this was an option that was available?

I am looking into get a GT or that new Cobra :kooky: by the end of the year, but I did not want an automatic and I do not want the manual. I want the "clutchless manual" where I can change the gears but not have manual depress clutch i want it down automatically. Any reply appreciated.

Mods:
C&L Street Intake, 93 Octane Tune (Brenspeed & BamaTunes), Pypes Longtube Headers, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Axelbacks, FRPP 4.10's, 20x8.5 inch Godspeed Omega Deep Dish Wheels

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Before the 05 Mustangs came out I was looking into getting one and had a book on the options that would be available. I am not sure If I should post this question in the 05 forum but do you or anyone else know if this was an option that was available?

I am looking into get a GT or that new Cobra :kooky: by the end of the year, but I did not want an automatic and I do not want the manual. I want the "clutchless manual" where I can change the gears but not have manual depress clutch i want it down automatically. Any reply appreciated.
You have to go to Ford Mobility, or Tiger Racing.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Kscoyote, how would I go about getting information about the clutchless manual from the two sources you are offering? I know nothing about any of them.

Mods:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006
Rookie

If you are talking about the same clutch-less style trasmission that I am, you can't use it on the street. A clutchless transmission, like a Liberty, G-Force or Doug Nash, used for drag racing can not be up shifted without completely stopping the car.

The only other type of "semi-automatic" transmisison that I know of are the pneumatically shifted trannies, they use a button like in Indy cars or a paddle in most street cars that use them, but you normally only find them in the high end porsches, lambos or ferraris.
Quote:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Kscoyote, how would I go about getting information about the clutchless manual from the two sources you are offering? I know nothing about any of them.
Ford Mobility is on the Ford Corporate Website. Tiger Racing in in the archives somewhere .. .

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3096
If you are talking about the same clutch-less style trasmission that I am, you can't use it on the street. A clutchless transmission, like a Liberty, G-Force or Doug Nash, used for drag racing can not be up shifted without completely stopping the car.

The only other type of "semi-automatic" transmisison that I know of are the pneumatically shifted trannies, they use a button like in Indy cars or a paddle in most street cars that use them, but you normally only find them in the high end porsches, lambos or ferraris.

Ford Mobility teamed with Tiger Racing to develop one adapting Aston Martin's Clutchless transmission.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys, I am going to look on the Ford Mobility site and see what they have to offer, if I can't find much info about it then I will just go with the Automatic GT, because I do not think they will have a manual Shelby, or am I wrong?

Mods:

here you go this way there is no fuckin around with the other systems in the car just plug and play...maybe a lil work but it looks kick ass and it can be done in any auto car....i like the feature of total pressure contol or you can flip back to full auto at anytime...a new toy

http://www.tcugo.com/products.html
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thumbs up

This seems like a nice setup 7500. Has anyone else seen this new toy, if so what do you think about it?

Mods:
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Hey Guys, I was looking up about this TCUGO thing and I see alot of ricers with this setup. Do you thing this is too ricey? I personal like it but don't think I would use it in an 05/06/07 Mustang GT.

Mods:
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Hey Guys, I was looking up about this TCUGO thing and I see alot of ricers with this setup. Do you thing this is too ricey? I personal like it but don't think I would use it in an 05/06/07 Mustang GT.
If I cared what other people thought, I'd never get anything done- for that matter In the 80's I would have been a mullet-headed Chevymonkey.

Do what you want. Tell everyone who thinks it's "ricey," to go take a flying leap.

N20, for example was a Stanger's tool to compensate for the 50ci difference between the chevymonkeys and the 302. Now, hondaheads run it to compensate for the same reason. Is N20 NOW ricey, because someone else is using it?

If you define yourself by whatever everyone else is doing, you'll end up being "everybody else" and not your own man, -or woman.

It's hard to shine when you're dull.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Wink

Kscoyote, I knew that would be your reply and I feel the same way. In the end, I will do what satisfies what I need and like. It is just nice to hear what others think as well sometimes.

Mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page