Gear Question - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006 Thread Starter

Gear Question

I'm pretty new to the mustang scene and had heard some things about gears. I've heard people putting 3.73's or 4.10's in their stangs and i was wondering which one's would be best for me. Some of my friends at school that have camaro's and eclipse's have been wanting to race me and i new that my bone stock v6 won't beat em which is how this question came about. My stang is a 2002 v6 automatic. I dont know if it means anything but it has the traction control option on it from the factory. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02v6Mustang
I'm pretty new to the mustang scene and had heard some things about gears. I've heard people putting 3.73's or 4.10's in their stangs and i was wondering which one's would be best for me. Some of my friends at school that have camaro's and eclipse's have been wanting to race me and i new that my bone stock v6 won't beat em which is how this question came about. My stang is a 2002 v6 automatic. I dont know if it means anything but it has the traction control option on it from the factory. Any help is greatly appreciated.
What kind of Camaros and Eclipses?

Gears are a very expensive mod.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
What kind of Camaros and Eclipses?

Gears are a very expensive mod.
Gears are pricey buy they are a better mod then any bolt on IMO.

with an auto I would go with 4.10's. Don't forget to throw a tloc in it

1998 V6
1987 GT

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006 Thread Starter

the camaro is a 1995 bone stock v6 and the eclipse is a 2001 with an exhaust. other than the exhaust the eclipse is stock.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
the camaro is a 1995 bone stock v6 and the eclipse is a 2001 with an exhaust. other than the exhaust the eclipse is stock.
4 or 6 cylinder Eclipse?

Is the Camaro manual or auto?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006 Thread Starter

the eclipse is a 4 cylinder and the camaro is an auto.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

I wouldn't worry too much.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006 Thread Starter

The guy with the camaro said that if he could beat me off the line then he would pretty much beat me down the whole stretch. I've never raced him so i dont know much about his car. I know that it's a 1995 Camaro V6 Auto with a bone stock motor. However I am pretty worried about the eclipse. It registers 160 and i've riden with him when he's been up to 130 on it and my top speed limiter only lets my car get up to about 115 and it takes forever for it to get there. And another thing is he raced one of my buddy's a while back who has a 2001 Mustang V6 Auto just like mine and beat him. That was my reasoning for asking how much it would help if i put 4.10's the rear.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
The guy with the camaro said that if he could beat me off the line then he would pretty much beat me down the whole stretch. I've never raced him so i dont know much about his car. I know that it's a 1995 Camaro V6 Auto with a bone stock motor. However I am pretty worried about the eclipse. It registers 160 and i've riden with him when he's been up to 130 on it and my top speed limiter only lets my car get up to about 115 and it takes forever for it to get there. And another thing is he raced one of my buddy's a while back who has a 2001 Mustang V6 Auto just like mine and beat him. That was my reasoning for asking how much it would help if i put 4.10's the rear.
http://www.car-stats.com/stats/shows...tsgivenid.aspx

Car-Stats.com Report for 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Obtained from R&T November, 2001
0-60:
Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed:

Car-Stats.com Report for 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS
Obtained from C&D May, 2002
0-60:
Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed:

I don't know what the designation is for the 4 cylinder. The GTS's gearing get's him to 60 faster, but it's within a couple of tenths for a manual Mustang v6.

The regular GT manual is within a couple of .1s.

Does your friend know how to powerbrake?

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006 Thread Starter

I don't think he knows how to powerbrake because i used to ride with him a lot and i've never seen or heard of him powerbraking. Also his car and my car are both automatics. I don't know how much of a difference in numbers that would make. Plus his car has an exhaust on it but other than it's stock and my car is completely stock.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I don't think he knows how to powerbrake because i used to ride with him a lot and i've never seen or heard of him powerbraking. Also his car and my car are both automatics. I don't know how much of a difference in numbers that would make. Plus his car has an exhaust on it but other than it's stock and my car is completely stock.
You can only powerbrake in an automatic. Try to do it in a manual, and you'll kill the engine.

No wonder he lost . . .

Ok, put your left foot on the brake, and your right foot on the gas. push the throttle up until the rears start to break loose, then hold it. When the light goes, lift your left foot off the brake, and nail the gas pedal simultaneously.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006 Thread Starter

ok i got it. So if i powerbrake do you think i'll be able to beat the eclipse?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
ok i got it. So if i powerbrake do you think i'll be able to beat the eclipse?
I think you will. But My car was modified on the 7th day after I bought it. I already had parts ordered . . .

But most of my mods are for efficiency, until recently -I'm shoring up the chassis, so I'm adding weight in getting ready fo rthe rebuild. ..

Disconnect the battery, and do 5-6 0-60 runs to be sure . . .

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006 Thread Starter

When I tried it today it felt like the tire spun for a while before it would get traction and actually pick up some speed. It seemed like i could get to 60 quicker whenever i don't powerbrake but i only tried it twice. I think i held the gas a little too long before i left off the brake. But i'm not sure.
Rookie

Quote:
When I tried it today it felt like the tire spun for a while before it would get traction and actually pick up some speed. It seemed like i could get to 60 quicker whenever i don't powerbrake but i only tried it twice. I think i held the gas a little too long before i left off the brake. But i'm not sure.
If you are getting a better 60 when you don't power brake, then you are doing something wrong. How high to you bring the R's up before you launch? Are the tires spinning when you launch?

You have to bring the R's up as high as they can go without breaking the tires loose. If the tires break loose before you launch you are essentially doing a burn out and you will just fry the tires when you let off the brake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page