Makeing my own CAI and have a ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006 Thread Starter

Makeing my own CAI and have a ?

Ok, i made my own CAI and it runs into the fender. Now it works awesome and im very happy with it but i was thinking of trying do some kind of "forced air induction" by running pipping from under the front bumper and up to the filter but i was wondering if water would be a problem. Like if it was raining or snowing, would that collect in the pipping and go into the filter? Is there any way to prevent that? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

You can either go with flex hose, or pvc like what I did. took an old GT fog light and took the actual lense out, and attached some 2" pvs angles up running towards the filter. Air will take the path of least resistance, so you can drill a small drain hole in the bottom incase there is any question about water.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

yes actually one of my old friends did.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006
Apprentice

I did exactly what you're talking about, last year. I took the end of the original 'air horn', cut it off at the flare and attached it [the flare] to some "autozone" flex pipe and screwed it down at an orifice on my bumper, so the air rams straight in and up to my K&N. At the air box, I left the remains of the rubber boot and attached a correct size 'pvc' plumbing elbow [from any hardware store] on the upper end of the flex pipe. It works great. Water? The air flow isn't strong enough to pull droplets straight up, let alone it would catch on the ribbing if it could. It would take a very special drop of water to negotiate the two curves. Misty air might make it, but you'd have that with or without the low ram pick-up. The whole thing, including the K&N, was under $60.00. Hope this helps.

'95, white convertable, auto trans, under drive pulley, cai, 3:73 gear. Just enough snap for a 62 year old kid! (my wife's a blond so the top MUST be down, or she won't get in!!)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006 Thread Starter

Ya, others were telling me that the air flow wouldnt be strong enough to take the water up the pipe but i just wanted to mae sure. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgie
I did exactly what you're talking about, last year. I took the end of the original 'air horn', cut it off at the flare and attached it [the flare] to some "autozone" flex pipe and screwed it down at an orifice on my bumper, so the air rams straight in and up to my K&N. At the air box, I left the remains of the rubber boot and attached a correct size 'pvc' plumbing elbow [from any hardware store] on the upper end of the flex pipe. It works great. Water? The air flow isn't strong enough to pull droplets straight up, let alone it would catch on the ribbing if it could. It would take a very special drop of water to negotiate the two curves. Misty air might make it, but you'd have that with or without the low ram pick-up. The whole thing, including the K&N, was under $60.00. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page