New To Nitrous - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006 Thread Starter

New To Nitrous

I have a 2002 3.8L with a completely stock motor. I really want to put nitrous on my car right off the bat. My problem is that i don't know jack about nitrous. that's where my question comes in. How do u guys think it would effect my car. it has just over 70K miles on it. Dry or wet kit? What shot? All that good stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006
Rookie

I've heard that the stock bottom end is good for up to a 100 shot, I would limit it to 75. The problem is, if you don't know anything about nitrous, you won't know how to tune it, which is a neccessity if you want the motor to live. I would never reccomend a dry kit, that is just way to harmful to pistons. Your best bet for safe spraying is a 75 shot, with someone who knows what they are doing to help you tune the car. It is preferable to have an AFR meter, I personally love INNOVATE's equipment, to help in the tuning proccess. If you don't know of anyone who has the equipment to do this, then you need to find someone who has experience reading spark plugs.

As for the system, I personally think a fogger style system is easier on parts, and more tuneable. You should get a higher volume pump to handle the extra fuel demand, if you don't just get a seperate pump for the nitrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02v6Mustang
I have a 2002 3.8L with a completely stock motor. I really want to put nitrous on my car right off the bat. My problem is that i don't know jack about nitrous. that's where my question comes in. How do u guys think it would effect my car. it has just over 70K miles on it. Dry or wet kit? What shot? All that good stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006
4.6L Member

That car has high mileage for nitrous. Your just asking for a rebuild.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the98stang
That car has high mileage for nitrous. Your just asking for a rebuild.
yeah, and unless you've been using the recommended semi-synth . . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006 Thread Starter

So you guys don't think i should use nitrous at all? I've heard of people putting nitrous on cars with over 100,000 miles and mine only has 70,000. I was wanting to use a dry kit with about a 50 or 75 shot in my stang. What do u guys think? Here's a link to the kit that i plan on buying.

http://www.nitrousdirect.com/domesticnitrouskits.html

Let me know what you guys think.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006
Rookie

Quote:
So you guys don't think i should use nitrous at all? I've heard of people putting nitrous on cars with over 100,000 miles and mine only has 70,000. I was wanting to use a dry kit with about a 50 or 75 shot in my stang. What do u guys think? Here's a link to the kit that i plan on buying.

http://www.nitrousdirect.com/domesticnitrouskits.html

Let me know what you guys think.
If you tune the car correctly, you should have no problem using the juice, even over 100,000.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006 Thread Starter

Do u think the same place that i get to install my nitrous kit on my car will be able to tune it also? And what exactly do u mean by tune it? And lastly what do i need to know about nitrous as far as the do's don'ts and tips? Cuz when i talked to my friends about it EVERY one of them said that i was going to blow up my motor.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006
Rookie

Quote:
Do u think the same place that i get to install my nitrous kit on my car will be able to tune it also? And what exactly do u mean by tune it? And lastly what do i need to know about nitrous as far as the do's don'ts and tips? Cuz when i talked to my friends about it EVERY one of them said that i was going to blow up my motor.

I would venture a guess that the place that does your install could tune the car for you, but I'm not positive. The possibility is very real to burn all the pistons. A friend of mine fried all eight in his 351 Windsor the first time he sprayed it on the street, only because he tried to set it up himself and didn't know what he was doing. But, if the system is tuned correctly, you can get a lot of use out it with no problems at all. By tune it, I mean the Air to Fuel ratio must be correct. If the motor runs too lean, you will burn the pistons out of it. The easiest way to tune it is to have it dynoed. I would suggest running the car a little on the rich side, just to be safe, say an AFR in the low to mid 12's. The normal range is high 12's low 13's for an N/A car, if I'm not mistaken. To tune the car this way, you would need access to an Air-Fuel meter. If you get the car dynoed, the place you take it should have this equipment, and they should know how to tune the car for you. They would have a better idea of ideal AFR and such than I do, because most of the nitrous apps. that I have worked on are carbuerated motors with a plate or fogger system. They could also give you tips for using it and the do's and don'ts. My only tips for use are to only spray it when the car is at high RPM (above 3,000) and you have to have a full throtle switch and N2O pressure gauge. You should also have a low fuel pressure shut-off.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006 Thread Starter

ok i have just one last question. In parentheses beside the kit that i plan on buying it says "for use on vehicles with MAF( mass air flow sensor ). I was wondering if my car had one or if i would have to buy one in addition to the kit.
Rookie

Yes, your car has a mass air sensor.
Quote:
ok i have just one last question. In parentheses beside the kit that i plan on buying it says "for use on vehicles with MAF( mass air flow sensor ). I was wondering if my car had one or if i would have to buy one in addition to the kit.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006 Thread Starter

So i wouldn't have to buy anything else after i bought the nitrous kit and installed it on my car? Besides a tune that's all that i would need right is just the kit? I know it's a lot of questions but i really want to make my car perform the best it can and i'm not all that knowledgable about it.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3096

If you tune the car correctly, you should have no problem using the juice, even over 100,000.
If he or she has been using regular oil, the rings might not take the pressure. If they've been using synthetic or semisynthetic, I wouldn't worry about it.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Rookie

Quote:
So i wouldn't have to buy anything else after i bought the nitrous kit and installed it on my car? Besides a tune that's all that i would need right is just the kit? I know it's a lot of questions but i really want to make my car perform the best it can and i'm not all that knowledgable about it.
You may need to get a higher flowing fuel pump, but the place where you purchase the kit would be able to tell you for sure. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
If he or she has been using regular oil, the rings might not take the pressure. If they've been using synthetic or semisynthetic, I wouldn't worry about it.
I think as long as he or she kept up with the oil changes and everything, it should be able to handle it, even on conventional oil. If he or she didn't keep up with the changes, then you are definitely right.

Guys I have the same as him, However I only have 35,000 miles. How much Hp is to be gained with the NOS and do you think it is better then adding the Turbo?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page