After Market Parts Are Hard To Paint - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006 Thread Starter

After Market Parts Are Hard To Paint

Alright I am pissed. I got an aftermarket 01 Cobra Bumper Cover for my 2000 V6 and it fits great and everything :thumbsup BUT I have had some major problems painting it. Everytime I have tried to paint it the paint will bubble (lift) ont he bottom. My rear aftermarket bumper was the same way. They are both urethane and the rear bumper all I did was sand and paint it again. But I have tried to fix the front bumper the same way and it will not work. I painted my hood with now problems but for some reason I just can't seem to get the front bumper to work. If you have any ideas of what the problem would be please let me know right away so I can drive it when the weather gets better.

Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006

dumb question but did it come primed? or did you try primer? sorry if you talking about something completly different. its been along night

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006 Thread Starter

Yes I think my dad mentioned something about a thin layer of primer that already came on it. I know there is a certain paint that you need for certain plastics to make it stick better but I asked my paint guy and he said that not too many ppl use that and they don't seem to have any problems with paint rising.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006
GT Member

I understand what you are talking about . I work in a garage and have ran into the same problems myself . These are some of the things I do / try

wet sand and re-prep your bumper . If you are useing a sealer ( non sanding ) , apply in mist coats . small sections of the bumper at a time . Blow drying the sealer ( I use my paint gun for this ) on as you apply . You can also use a heat gun as to dry the paint on faster . As you get the sealer to stick , go over it a few times in real light coats . Let the sealer dry well , 30 minutes or so . check and make sure your surface is smooth . If it is run a tack rag over the bumper and then apply your color . If it has some ruffness then lightly sand and mist more sealer over just the bad spots . SOme of these parts can be a real pain in the butt ! Good luck .

I was Punxsy Stang before !
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98V65speed
Alright I am pissed. I got an aftermarket 01 Cobra Bumper Cover for my 2000 V6 and it fits great and everything :thumbsup BUT I have had some major problems painting it. Everytime I have tried to paint it the paint will bubble (lift) ont he bottom. My rear aftermarket bumper was the same way. They are both urethane and the rear bumper all I did was sand and paint it again. But I have tried to fix the front bumper the same way and it will not work. I painted my hood with now problems but for some reason I just can't seem to get the front bumper to work. If you have any ideas of what the problem would be please let me know right away so I can drive it when the weather gets better.

Thanks Mike
you've got oil on the part. You really have to degrease the heck out of it. Then prime it again with custom urethane primer and paint.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page