Exhaust and 02 sensors - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006 Thread Starter

Question Exhaust and 02 sensors

I have canary yellow 94 3.8 Mustang that im trying to put new exhaust on. It currently has headers going throught 4 catalytic converters ( 2 on each side) going into an X pipe then into the Mac mufflers and out the back like a GT.

My problem is i want to get rid of my catalytic converters (or at least 2) and get rid of the X pipe by running two seperate pipes to the mufflers. But im having problems doing this because there are 4 oxygen sensors, one in front of the catalytic converters, and one behind them.

What worries me is that if i do this to the exhausts is that the second oxygen sensor will read wrong and throw off the Air/Fuel mixture. I dont know how to fix this issue. I called Summit and they said get a free flowing cat, but they are way to exspensive for my taste. I could buy the dummy O2 sensor which is 88 dollars apiece, but the summit guys says it will turn off the CE light, but may not exactly work. so why spend 176 dollars on something that may not work right.

Im basically looking to just cut off the catalytic converters, weld some piping in, and figure out what to do about the oxygen sensors that wont cost me alot of money.

i have a superchip (along with cold air intake and a 8.8" rear end with the 3.73 trac loc) and was wondering if the superchip can somehow help me fix the air to fuel ratio.

Any help would me much appriciate, after all this is my first post on the mustang forums.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangHarry_94
I have canary yellow 94 3.8 Mustang that im trying to put new exhaust on. It currently has headers going throught 4 catalytic converters ( 2 on each side) going into an X pipe then into the Mac mufflers and out the back like a GT.

My problem is i want to get rid of my catalytic converters (or at least 2) and get rid of the X pipe by running two seperate pipes to the mufflers. But im having problems doing this because there are 4 oxygen sensors, one in front of the catalytic converters, and one behind them.

What worries me is that if i do this to the exhausts is that the second oxygen sensor will read wrong and throw off the Air/Fuel mixture. I dont know how to fix this issue. I called Summit and they said get a free flowing cat, but they are way to exspensive for my taste. I could buy the dummy O2 sensor which is 88 dollars apiece, but the summit guys says it will turn off the CE light, but may not exactly work. so why spend 176 dollars on something that may not work right.

Im basically looking to just cut off the catalytic converters, weld some piping in, and figure out what to do about the oxygen sensors that wont cost me alot of money.

i have a superchip (along with cold air intake and a 8.8" rear end with the 3.73 trac loc) and was wondering if the superchip can somehow help me fix the air to fuel ratio.

Any help would me much appriciate, after all this is my first post on the mustang forums.
The cats aren't a restriction. You're more in danger of losing power due to losing backpressure from an exhaust that's too open.

You have nothing to gain, except an expensive ticket.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006 Thread Starter

there has to be some restriction here what about the X pipe? I mean there are 4 cat converters! thats 2 too many.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
there has to be some restriction here what about the X pipe? I mean there are 4 cat converters! thats 2 too many.
nope. most people go too big on the exhaust and lose 10+ hp. There is no restriction until you have a supercharger, or build a ported/polished and cammed engine, and even then, it's not as bad as you think. You'd have to be making 250-275 hp before you started running into trouble.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006 Thread Starter

alright well thanks, any idea on what would be a good upgrade for the cheap dollars?

like i said i already have headers, duals, superchip, cold air intake and the 3.73 8.8" rear end.

I thought about underdrive pulleys but dont think they are really for me.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
alright well thanks, any idea on what would be a good upgrade for the cheap dollars?

like i said i already have headers, duals, superchip, cold air intake and the 3.73 8.8" rear end.

I thought about underdrive pulleys but dont think they are really for me.
Start putting together your parts for a 99+ head and intake upgrade, then port & polish them.

For really cheap power, get an intake spacer to increase plenum volume.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006 Thread Starter

well i know nothing about intakes or heads on my 3.8 to be honest so when u say parts you mean what?

Port and polish i can do, my GFs Grandpa has a machine shop im sure he can do it.

where can i get an intake spacer?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
well i know nothing about intakes or heads on my 3.8 to be honest so when u say parts you mean what?

Port and polish i can do, my GFs Grandpa has a machine shop im sure he can do it.

where can i get an intake spacer?
THe intake is the two parts between the cylinder banks.

The heads are the top of the cylinder banks, where the valves are seated, under the valve covers.

A port and polish job increases the size of the holes the air flows through, and smooths the airflow.

Your GFs Grandad can tell you about it . ..

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006 Thread Starter

well damn i knew part! lol thanks anyway
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Oh, the spacer. You might check with v6power.net, there's a couple of folks there who make them.

Of you can make your own with a respirator -nasty stuff . . .

Rookie

Re: Exhaust and 02 sensors

Hi guys, I'm having a hard time understanding this. If the V6 Mustang has four cats and most of these aftermarket H-pipes w/ cats only have two, how will it work without the "service engine soon" light coming and staying on? I'm thinking of going with MAC from front to back but always wondered about the two cats that will be missing and what do do about the O2 senors that went in them.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak
Hi guys, I'm having a hard time understanding this. If the V6 Mustang has four cats and most of these aftermarket H-pipes w/ cats only have two, how will it work without the "service engine soon" light coming and staying on? I'm thinking of going with MAC from front to back but always wondered about the two cats that will be missing and what do do about the O2 senors that went in them.
The cats are higher effeiciency then OEM.

Rookie

I can dig it, but what I'm trying to get at is when the new H-pipe is put on with only having two cats, where will the extra O2 sensors(the ones that go to the upper cats) go? Will they be needed or do they get eliminated and if so , how would I keep the "service engine soon" light from coming on?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak
I can dig it, but what I'm trying to get at is when the new H-pipe is put on with only having two cats, where will the extra O2 sensors(the ones that go to the upper cats) go? Will they be needed or do they get eliminated and if so , how would I keep the "service engine soon" light from coming on?
You don't need both of them. They come with provisional sensor locations. the extra set of cats are eliminated.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
You don't need both of them. They come with provisional sensor locations. the extra set of cats are eliminated.
Ok, that's sounds good, I haven't seen any of these pipes up close yet so I didn't know. Thanks, that puts my mind at ease.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page