Lowering Kits for V6 stang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Lowering Kits for V6 stang

I was looking at a few lowering kits for my v6 stang and noticed that they make kits that drop the car to varying degrees (1 inch-2 inches). Also some kits drop the front more than the back.
Does anyone have any recommendations on which kit performs/looks the best and if I should go with one that drops the front more than the back? -thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

Re: Lowering Kits for V6 stang

As far as giving the best performance and handling, kits that lower the front and back equally would be the better. The reason some kits lower the front more is that it gives the car a more aggressive stance. Whether you want style or handling is your preference

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

I wouldnt wanna do anything that would compromise performance so an equal lowering will do, thanks. What about how many inches? What would be look and handle well without having my car scrape against every speed bump. I dont want my car to have a look like the wheels have sunken into the fender either.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

generally the lower the better it handles; and your right going down 2 inches would make it a ***** over any kind of bump or ramp. So if it were me I would go with 1.5" drop, Eibach makes good kits. FYI the kits that drop the front more than the back dont make your handling worse they just dont make it as good as an equal drop.

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex117
generally the lower the better it handles; and your right going down 2 inches would make it a ***** over any kind of bump or ramp. So if it were me I would go with 1.5" drop, Eibach makes good kits. FYI the kits that drop the front more than the back dont make your handling worse they just dont make it as good as an equal drop.
Actually, unless you change the K-Member, going lower than 1.5" will harm your handling, since the roll center is already below the surface of the road while the rear is above.

A lot of the cheaper springs will sack out, so look for Ford Racing, Steeda, Griggs, Maximum Motorsports, Eibach, KW, H&R, etc type of springs.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to NoRiceForMe
I'm looking at lowering springs as well, but I'm worried about alignment issues. What are the cons of lowering springs? I know the pro's, handling, stance, and what not. Is it an extremely harsh ride? Will it eventually make my tires wear incorrectly, etc. Any response is welcome. It's just hard to pass up something as inexpensive as this and to gain such good performance advantages.

2008 Mustang GT/CS 5 speed, Steeda Axle Back's, Steeda UDP's, Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 93 octane tune, C&L CAI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRiceForMe
I'm looking at lowering springs as well, but I'm worried about alignment issues. What are the cons of lowering springs? I know the pro's, handling, stance, and what not. Is it an extremely harsh ride? Will it eventually make my tires wear incorrectly, etc. Any response is welcome. It's just hard to pass up something as inexpensive as this and to gain such good performance advantages.
ride depends on springs, Ford Racing are probably the most comfortable.

If you drop you have to get Caster/Camber plates, or you will experience all of the above.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member

HAD........... the Eibach lowering springs (1.5) without the caster\camber adjusters on my 95. Ruined a set yoko 45's. The handling was great as long as the road was baby-but smooth. Actually you really get to feel every crack in the road and learn to avoid every rail-road crossing and stay off any road that has any kind of pot-hole.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansss95
HAD........... the Eibach lowering springs (1.5) without the caster\camber adjusters on my 95. Ruined a set yoko 45's. The handling was great as long as the road was baby-but smooth. Actually you really get to feel every crack in the road and learn to avoid every rail-road crossing and stay off any road that has any kind of pot-hole.
Yeah the Eibachs have always been an autocross spring.

FRs are probably the softest, followed by kenny brown & Steeda, then Saleen & Roush, after them, they start to get pretty punishing . .. the closer to a race spring you go, the more punishing the ride.

The best combination for the street are soft springs and tight anti-roll bars . ..

Apprentice
S197 Member

The best bang for the buck on a complete kit is the Bullitt handling kit. For about $400, the kit comes with springs, shocks, struts, and front & rear sway bars. It only lowers your car about 3/4 all around, but the modest drop means there is less geometric impact on the job the k-member and other moving suspension components do for you. I believe there is a very similar kit marketed as a Mach 1 kit, with slightly softer springs than the Bullitt kit and has a similar drop. If you have more to spend than that, there are great kits out there that will provide 1.2 - 1.5 drop. Be advised, the closer you get to 1.5, the greater the possiblity you'll need C/C plates to get a good alignment. Also, the other moving suspension components will be less effective in doing their job the more you drop. It all depends on what you want, and how much you have to spend.

Pony Ride 2 - 2007 Grabber Orange GT Premium with 5-speed manual transmission
4.6L Member

Doesn't dropping a the front more than the back increase Downforce? I'm not for sure so wait for KS' reply.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gro_oms
Doesn't dropping a the front more than the back increase Downforce? I'm not for sure so wait for KS' reply.
Has nothing to do with downforce. Downforce is an Aero issue. You get down force from spoilers, underbody aero treatment, etc.

HAs more to do with the roll center which is already below ground. If you drop the front a LOT more than the back, and you stand a greater chance of flipping the car around a quick corner or simply losing control.

On non-4-link, shock fronted cars it wasn't as much of an issue as it is with the Strut/4-link combo, which I really have grown to hate in comparison with my '68. the 68 was a LOT more predictable, if not quite as quick on it's tires. But a lot of that could be managed with tires, shocks, and weight management.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page