My car took up smoking today. - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Blind_Guardian's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 133
 
My car took up smoking today.

Filthy habit... anyways. I was on the highway today I heard a pop and then well smoke everywhere. I pulled over and popped the hood and got the heck out of the car. (Making sure to grab my iPod on the way out lol) I did a bit of investigating after i determined that it wasnt a fire. It turned out to be oil and lots of it. I looked under the car and can see it dripping from all over the place so that was no help. All I can tell is it is on the passenger side.
So, does anyone have any ideas as to what could have exploded on me?
Also when i pulled over it stalled on me.
It is an 86 3.8L

If this turns out to be something I cant afford to fix I will say bye bye mustang maybe sell some of the parts.

Thanks for any help

-Guardian

Blind_Guardian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Re: My car took up smoking today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Guardian
Filthy habit... anyways. I was on the highway today I heard a pop and then well smoke everywhere. I pulled over and popped the hood and got the heck out of the car. (Making sure to grab my iPod on the way out lol) I did a bit of investigating after i determined that it wasnt a fire. It turned out to be oil and lots of it. I looked under the car and can see it dripping from all over the place so that was no help. All I can tell is it is on the passenger side.
So, does anyone have any ideas as to what could have exploded on me?
Also when i pulled over it stalled on me.
It is an 86 3.8L

If this turns out to be something I cant afford to fix I will say bye bye mustang maybe sell some of the parts.

Thanks for any help

-Guardian
Sounds like you threw a rod . .. .

Best case - something punched a hole in your oil pan . .. .


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Re: My car took up smoking today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Guardian
Filthy habit... anyways. I was on the highway today I heard a pop and then well smoke everywhere. I pulled over and popped the hood and got the heck out of the car. (Making sure to grab my iPod on the way out lol) I did a bit of investigating after i determined that it wasnt a fire. It turned out to be oil and lots of it. I looked under the car and can see it dripping from all over the place so that was no help. All I can tell is it is on the passenger side.
So, does anyone have any ideas as to what could have exploded on me?
Also when i pulled over it stalled on me.
It is an 86 3.8L

If this turns out to be something I cant afford to fix I will say bye bye mustang maybe sell some of the parts.

Thanks for any help

-Guardian
What's the budget? You can get just about anything fixed on the 3.8L cheaply. Entire engines with low (30-40,000) miles go for 3-400 dollars . . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Blind_Guardian's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 133
 
Re: My car took up smoking today.

Yeah the engine is dead now.
And where can i find an engine that cheap?
I was thinking of just selling off all the parts because I know someone who is selling a 88 5.0 that is in nice shape at the end of summer so im not sure what i want to do yet, I only need to drive for two more months and then im gone for the summer.
Blind_Guardian is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Re: My car took up smoking today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Guardian
Yeah the engine is dead now.
And where can i find an engine that cheap?
I was thinking of just selling off all the parts because I know someone who is selling a 88 5.0 that is in nice shape at the end of summer so im not sure what i want to do yet, I only need to drive for two more months and then im gone for the summer.
Check local salvage yards 1st. IT's a REALLY common engine.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Blind_Guardian's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 133
 
Yeah I have decided against getting the new engine. no point spending a few hundred now and buying a new stang after summer anyway. I cant drive this summer so it wont be a problem.

It was a freeze plug that popped out and that was what was burning. The overflow was full of coolant and i couldnt check the rad so i figured it was just oil when i saw it under the car. After i was done in the city I got a ride back to my car with some oil and we started driving again but as soon as it got to hot i was burning away all that oil. The plug is alot of owrk to replace and I got alot of melted hoses and there is possibly even more damage. My temp gauge was saying i was ok but I guess not. Oh well there is a good chance I will have a nerw stang when i come home this summer.
I know someone who wants the bady f my car but doesnt want the T-tops. Why I dont know so I can keep the t tops to sell (anyone know what they are worth?) Also i can sell the parts i just put in. A week ago i did cap and rotor, and starter. And about a month ago the alternator. also the battery is brand new. SO if anyone is interested Email me @ [email protected]
That starter also has a 5yr warranty. It was bpught brand new.


-Guardian
Blind_Guardian is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Guardian
Yeah I have decided against getting the new engine. no point spending a few hundred now and buying a new stang after summer anyway. I cant drive this summer so it wont be a problem.

It was a freeze plug that popped out and that was what was burning. The overflow was full of coolant and i couldnt check the rad so i figured it was just oil when i saw it under the car. After i was done in the city I got a ride back to my car with some oil and we started driving again but as soon as it got to hot i was burning away all that oil. The plug is alot of owrk to replace and I got alot of melted hoses and there is possibly even more damage. My temp gauge was saying i was ok but I guess not. Oh well there is a good chance I will have a nerw stang when i come home this summer.
I know someone who wants the bady f my car but doesnt want the T-tops. Why I dont know so I can keep the t tops to sell (anyone know what they are worth?) Also i can sell the parts i just put in. A week ago i did cap and rotor, and starter. And about a month ago the alternator. also the battery is brand new. SO if anyone is interested Email me @ [email protected]
That starter also has a 5yr warranty. It was bpught brand new.


-Guardian
T-tops are VERY rare. Not the tops but the CAR. You might try to sell the car on E-bay. I know a LOT of people who are jonesing for a t-topped fox body.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
 
Blind_Guardian's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 133
 
I havnt seen mustangs with the T-tops go for much on eBay. Even GTs that are running sometimes dont get much more than a grand or so. There is a GT on there right now that needs a new motor and its only at $200. I have seen the Tops themselves sell for more than that.
Blind_Guardian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my car today! drbino 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 17 10-27-2007 10:17 AM
Got My Gt Today!! Yeah!!! Read To Get Ideas On How To Get One!! jplaytym 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech 8 02-06-2005 12:59 PM
Starting Car Today Help!!! cmandockdunk 5.0L Tech 2 09-18-2004 10:18 PM
Well I got my car back today BUT.... Mana4Real 4.6L Talk 10 01-03-2003 01:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1