need some help on a thought that I have - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

need some help on a thought that I have

What'up fam, Well here it goes. I have a 2000- v6 -automatic, I have been looking into getting a bbk 70mm throttle body spacer which adds some hp....then I seen something called fam 3.73 gears. So would it be wise to put the two additions on or will I damage my car if I did? Would I get the same results if I just added one of the two?....and if I add the two would I damage the car if I put on the over drive or I would't need that anymore. Thanks for anyones help and these forums are very interesting. thamarix:thumbsup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

There will be such a little difference in the addition of HP that the T-body spacer will give you that you will never know. The gears will make a huge difference in the way the car feels. They will not add any HP but will make the car feel faster and will give it quicker acceleration. They are kind of pricey to put in though as I would not recomend doing it yourself. The gears have to be set up just right or they will make a lot of noise. With an auto I would go with 4.10's though instead of 3.73. You will also need to get you speedometer recalobrated as the gears will throw it off.

1998 V6
1987 GT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have a cool air intake and one of those mod so call chips in the car. So the gears just makes it acclerate faster then. Thanks alot.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

won't 4.10's be very noisy? also that xcalib. for tuning do you recommend that or do you recommend custom tuning.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamarix
I have a cool air intake and one of those mod so call chips in the car. So the gears just makes it acclerate faster then. Thanks alot.
What kind of chip? It's not one of those cheap e-bay chips is it?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
What'up fam, Well here it goes. I have a 2000- v6 -automatic, I have been looking into getting a bbk 70mm throttle body spacer which adds some hp....then I seen something called fam 3.73 gears. So would it be wise to put the two additions on or will I damage my car if I did? Would I get the same results if I just added one of the two?....and if I add the two would I damage the car if I put on the over drive or I would't need that anymore. Thanks for anyones help and these forums are very interesting. thamarix:thumbsup
Before you start putting a bunch of parts together, you need to figure out

1) your budget

2) your goals

3) how long you're gonna keep the car.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
What kind of chip? It's not one of those cheap e-bay chips is it?
yeah it's one of those. would it really hurt my car? I plan to keep my car as long as I can maybe six yrs no less than four.
I have seen your name pop up alot so I will appreciate your help thanks. I think I have made a dicission....I want more accleration more than hp so I think I will go with 3.73. I heard that there is not much difference in them and also the 4.10 burn more gas and we all know what's (up) with that.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
yeah it's one of those. would it really hurt my car? I plan to keep my car as long as I can maybe six yrs no less than four.
I have seen your name pop up alot so I will appreciate your help thanks. I think I have made a dicission....I want more accleration more than hp so I think I will go with 3.73. I heard that there is not much difference in them and also the 4.10 burn more gas and we all know what's (up) with that.
yeah, they can hurt your car.

what's your budget?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

three thousand dollars to spend.

If you have three grand to spend then maybe instead of just getting 3.73 gears your should get a 8.8" rear end with the 3.73. The 8.8" can handle 400 HP+ and will give ur V6 a positract rear end.

I did the same swap on my 94 and it was by far the best upgrade i could have done so far. If u put 3.73 in ur 7.5" rear end and no positract system then you might have issues getting off the line with out burning one tire.

94 3.8L, AT, 8.8" 3.73, cold air intake, headers, dual exhaust, mac mufflers, superchip, 17" cobra R wheels, canary yellow

oh yeah and i agree dont try putting 3.73s or any gear in by yourself. I use to work at ford and even ppl who know how to do em they can be a pain.
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
won't 4.10's be very noisy? also that xcalib. for tuning do you recommend that or do you recommend custom tuning.
Gears will only be loud if they are not set up right. You shouldn't be able to hear them when they are set up right.

1998 V6
1987 GT
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto
Gears will only be loud if they are not set up right. You shouldn't be able to hear them when they are set up right.

Is he talking highway drone or gear whine?

You'll be around 3000 RPM at highway speeds, so yeah, it'll be loud that way, but gear whine wouldn't be that bad . . .

I kept my stock gears in my 1968, my cousin did 4.11s -his car was intolerable on the highway.

Again, you've got to go back to goals.

If you want around 300 hp, an 8.8 would be overkill, you can use the remaining $2000-2300 from doing gears and girdle on the 7.5" and get a pretty good port polish, cam, subframe connectors, and other items on your list . . .

Idk coyote, i dont think an 8.8" is over kill. I thought about building my 7.5" rear end, but then i did some shopping and found someone that had a wrecked 95 GT that had 3.73 8.8" in it for $200. It took me a while to find this but if hes smart about it he can save money and have a better rear end that can take more abuse like axle hop.

And when im running 65 out the interstate my tach is less 2500 so its really not that bad even tho my gas mileage ate the dust.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangHarry_94
Idk coyote, i dont think an 8.8" is over kill. I thought about building my 7.5" rear end, but then i did some shopping and found someone that had a wrecked 95 GT that had 3.73 8.8" in it for $200. It took me a while to find this but if hes smart about it he can save money and have a better rear end that can take more abuse like axle hop.

And when im running 65 out the interstate my tach is less 2500 so its really not that bad even tho my gas mileage ate the dust.
I've never replaced a rear on the newer cars, but the 65-68's were a PITA.

Shoot, sometimes the springs, after having the load off em would shift, and you'd have to mess with those, or replace both, - Total PITA.

Around here, it's a popular swap, so junk yards charge a premium.

Unless you have the tools, you're gonna have to invest in those as well . . . but if you've go the time, tools and ability -can't hurt. and you can throw on a power adder at a later date with NO worries whatsoever.

Speed limit up here is 75, cops don't stop you until you go over 83/84, which is what most people drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page