Porting Heads - Need advise on pushrods, springs, cams adjustable rockers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006 Thread Starter

Question Porting Heads - Need advise on pushrods, springs, cams adjustable rockers

SO im going to keep the heads on my 3.8 and just have them ported. But im also thinking while i have the heads and intakes off i might as well throw in a cam, a set springs and some rods. ( maybe adjustable rocker arms?) So i would a cam that wouldnt break parts of my motor but still have a good high RPM range. (6000ish) What do u guys suggest for rod springs cams, and adj rockers if i even need them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangHarry_94
SO im going to keep the heads on my 3.8 and just have them ported. But im also thinking while i have the heads and intakes off i might as well throw in a cam, a set springs and some rods. ( maybe adjustable rocker arms?) So i would a cam that wouldnt break parts of my motor but still have a good high RPM range. (6000ish) What do u guys suggest for rod springs cams, and adj rockers if i even need them.
Well you've got 4 choices.

CompCams (which has an excellent help desk that will match the parts for you), RPM-Mustangs.com -which does custom work at very reasonable prices, Supersixmotorsports (uses 1-off Crower cams) a bit more expensive compared to the others -helps pay for their racing program & research) and Moranav6racing.com who doe s alot of custom work, as well.

-what year car do you have?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006 Thread Starter

Its a 94........i have the number to comp cams in my wallet. So i was planning on going through before i found this website.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006 Thread Starter

^^^ TYPO
I was plannin going through comp cams before i found this website
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
^^^ TYPO
I was plannin going through comp cams before i found this website
You should probably have your expected flow numbers before ordering the cam.

So you're going to need to know whether or not you're going 3-angle, 5 angle, split-ported, or flow ported, etc.

Once you figure out a blllpark of where you should flow after the porting, it will be a lot easier to select the cam, valves, pushrods, etc.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006 Thread Starter

well maybe i should talk to the guy whos porting my intake and heads and he will have an idea for a good cam? And when u say flow numbers im guess u mean airflow, and i have no idea what 3 angle, 5 angle, split ported or flow ported means lol. So i guess ill talk to him and see what he thinks. I just ordered an throttle body spacer today and im looking for a 56 mm throttle body but the cheapest ive seen them run is about $250 at v6 mustang stuff.com. I called rpmoutlet and they didnt even have them for my car. Some other sites i looked around to but no luck. Know anywhere cheaper than v6mustang stuff when it comes to throttle bodies?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
well maybe i should talk to the guy whos porting my intake and heads and he will have an idea for a good cam? And when u say flow numbers im guess u mean airflow, and i have no idea what 3 angle, 5 angle, split ported or flow ported means lol. So i guess ill talk to him and see what he thinks. I just ordered an throttle body spacer today and im looking for a 56 mm throttle body but the cheapest ive seen them run is about $250 at v6 mustang stuff.com. I called rpmoutlet and they didnt even have them for my car. Some other sites i looked around to but no luck. Know anywhere cheaper than v6mustang stuff when it comes to throttle bodies?
Forget about the spacer, if you can get a refund, get it . . .

RPM-outletcom has good prices for bolt-on stuff. GTRhipo.com is also close.

For Ford Racing stuff try gefracing.com or buyfordracing.com

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
yeah, he may have a pretty good idea if what they'll flow . . . you can't order a cam without knowing the flow numbers.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006 Thread Starter

mkay thanks kscoyote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in