95 mustang not starting??? ANYHELP - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006 Thread Starter

95 mustang not starting??? ANYHELP

I just put new head gaskets on my 95 mustang.......
It started right up when I was done so I shut it off. But then it wont start again???
I dont know why it turns over fine but it sounds like the timing is off because from what I can hear its firing when the exaust is open.
Would it have started right up the first time if the timing was off is there something I should check before I start messing with the timing???
I did have the distributor off I pulled it out when I was working on the car but I think I put it back down in the teeth in the right spot...
IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS THE TIMING THEN HOW AND WHAT DO I SET THE TIMING AT?????

any help it appreciated thanks

J0SH!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayville1
I just put new head gaskets on my 95 mustang.......
It started right up when I was done so I shut it off. But then it wont start again???
I dont know why it turns over fine but it sounds like the timing is off because from what I can hear its firing when the exaust is open.
Would it have started right up the first time if the timing was off is there something I should check before I start messing with the timing???
I did have the distributor off I pulled it out when I was working on the car but I think I put it back down in the teeth in the right spot...
IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS THE TIMING THEN HOW AND WHAT DO I SET THE TIMING AT?????

any help it appreciated thanks

J0SH!!!
Your car shouldn't have a distributor . ..

The timing chain could have jumped.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006 Thread Starter

well maybe its not the distributor but under the cail pack where the plug wires go to. Under that there is something that i pulled out could that have something to do with why its not running any more???

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
well maybe its not the distributor but under the cail pack where the plug wires go to. Under that there is something that i pulled out could that have something to do with why its not running any more???
Do you have a Chilton's or Haynes Manual?

Check to see if the plugs are goin to the correct terminals.

how many miles are on tyhe car?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006 Thread Starter

175,000 miles on the car......

I have a haynes book......

ANY IDEAS WHATS WRONG IM GOING TO CHECK TIMING I GOT A TIMING LIGHT BUT IF YOU GOT ANY THING TO HELP LET ME KNOW....

thanks, josh
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
175,000 miles on the car......

I have a haynes book......

ANY IDEAS WHATS WRONG IM GOING TO CHECK TIMING I GOT A TIMING LIGHT BUT IF YOU GOT ANY THING TO HELP LET ME KNOW....

thanks, josh
There should be a troubleshooting section.

Have you tried disconnecting the plug wires one by one to see which is misfiring?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

how long since you've cleaned the injectors, changed plugs, etc?

your chain may have stretched being that old.

It could be lots of things -but all you're gonna get here is the same questions in the troubleshooting section. Can't say without looking at it.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006 Thread Starter

well as I was reading through my haynes book.... I noticied what the thing is called its a camshaft positioning sensor. And that is what we moved the book says that it has to be perfectly set up to run.
So I went to my local napa auto parts and ordered the syncro postioning tool to align it correctly so tomorrow when the part gets here I will inform you on how it works out!!!!

Thanks for the help anyway...
HAS ANY ONE EVER HAD TO DO THIS BEFORE JUST A QUICK QUESTION????

thanks, Josh
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
well as I was reading through my haynes book.... I noticied what the thing is called its a camshaft positioning sensor. And that is what we moved the book says that it has to be perfectly set up to run.
So I went to my local napa auto parts and ordered the syncro postioning tool to align it correctly so tomorrow when the part gets here I will inform you on how it works out!!!!

Thanks for the help anyway...
HAS ANY ONE EVER HAD TO DO THIS BEFORE JUST A QUICK QUESTION????

thanks, Josh
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...amshaft+sensor

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006 Thread Starter

OK IM CONFUSED ON THIS.........

How do you set cylinder 1 to 26degrees atdc(after top dead center). Where do you get these numbers from????
I cant seem to figure out how to set that help me on this.... PLEASE

Thanks, Josh!!!!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
OK IM CONFUSED ON THIS.........

How do you set cylinder 1 to 26degrees atdc(after top dead center). Where do you get these numbers from????
I cant seem to figure out how to set that help me on this.... PLEASE

Thanks, Josh!!!!
Do you have the indexing tool?

Teh Haynes guide should have pictures and descriptions

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006 Thread Starter

No i dont have that where can u get it from

I ordered the syncro postioning tool online though because it says I will need that.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
No i dont have that where can u get it from

I ordered the syncro postioning tool online though because it says I will need that.
You don't have it yet?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006 Thread Starter

do i said I had to order it now does any one no how to set cylinder 1????
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
do i said I had to order it now does any one no how to set cylinder 1????
It's on page 6-16 of your chiltons.

The old school way (if everything is fubar) is to pull the plug on cylinder 1, disconnect the belts and turn the crank with a breaker bar until you see TDC and thenmove the crankshaft X degrees.

with the CPS the pulse works to set the timing, since there's no distributor. You need a voltmeter and turn the crank.

Or look at diagram 4.86 -you put the tool on the synchronizer assembly.

You can't do it without the tool

Do you have the Haynes, or not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page