engine ticking, no one has helped - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006 Thread Starter

engine ticking, no one has helped

Hi, this is my first post here, and I'm looking for some help. First, I know next to nothing about cars, but no one has been able to discover the problem so far, so if I can find the right direction...

My 1995 V6 engine makes a ticking noise. It gets faster as you press the accelerator, and eventually, after you drive it a while, it doesn't do it as loud. It doesn't do it unless you press the accelerator. If you press the gas super slow, it doesn't do it, at least not loud enonugh to hear easily.

No repair shop can tell me what it is. I've had the lifters replaced, its not the exhaust, new head new plugs, new plug wires, new radiator, new air intake and air intake sensor. I'm told "if it hasn't broken by now, it's no big deal", and "turn your radio up so you don't hear it". I'm told it could be a flat place in the "crank", but it doesn't do it all the time. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006
V6 Member

hey

okay well i am no mechanic and i probably know as much about cars as you, though i am in the process of learning, but i think i had the same problem with my mustang when i first got it. I have a 2000 mustang and everytime i turned on the engine a whistle sound would come out from under the hood, which then turned into a chirping sound...very annoying. Anyways, I realized that it was the type of gasoline that i was using. Might sound stupid but after i went a grade up the sound stopped. So maybe you should try that. I've recently had to go back down a grade cuz of the dam gas prices and thankfully that noise hasnt come back.

Hope thats the solution to the ticking sound in your car, let me know how it goes.

Daniel

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006

my buddy says its the fan bearing. my buddy has had that problem with his jeep. its either missing a bearing or the bearing is no good.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc142
Hi, this is my first post here, and I'm looking for some help. First, I know next to nothing about cars, but no one has been able to discover the problem so far, so if I can find the right direction...

My 1995 V6 engine makes a ticking noise. It gets faster as you press the accelerator, and eventually, after you drive it a while, it doesn't do it as loud. It doesn't do it unless you press the accelerator. If you press the gas super slow, it doesn't do it, at least not loud enonugh to hear easily.

No repair shop can tell me what it is. I've had the lifters replaced, its not the exhaust, new head new plugs, new plug wires, new radiator, new air intake and air intake sensor. I'm told "if it hasn't broken by now, it's no big deal", and "turn your radio up so you don't hear it". I'm told it could be a flat place in the "crank", but it doesn't do it all the time. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.
It's probably the exhaust manifold. There's a hot spot at the rear of the drivers side, that'll leak.

On some cars, it's under a silent recall. Depending on miles/year.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006

I had the same problem before and after I had a new engine put into my 96 mustang v6 engine. The mechanic disconnected a sensor that is for the emmisions system to filter the gas fumes instead of the fumes going into the carborator. Anyway, once he disconnected it, the ticking stopped. It only ticked when I accelerated too. Then the check engine light went on and I had it scanned which gave me a code of P1446, which is definitely the problem and related to the emmisions system. I was told that I should replace the sensor and the selenoid. Hope this helps you out. Cindy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

96 wasent carbed, it was fuel injected, FYI

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page