Side pipe advice and whether they scratch on speed bumps... - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006 Thread Starter

Side pipe advice and whether they scratch on speed bumps...

I am trying to develop a list of things I want to do with my 3.9 Liter 2004 V6.

This question is about exhaust systems. I have been considering side exhaust systems like this one from mustangtuning.com:

http://www.mustangtuning.com/sidepipes.html

I plan on going true dual but I am concern about ground clearance issues in front of the rear wheels.

The question is... Does the side exhaust tips scratch on speed humps and speed bumps in the road, or scratch when you have to go up an curve entrance way that is on some cars scratchs the under side of the front bumper?

Thanks for any advice or information given, and if anyone out there be it GT/Cobra or V6 owner that is a member of this forum and has side pipes tell me what you like about them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Mustang
I am trying to develop a list of things I want to do with my 3.9 Liter 2004 V6.

This question is about exhaust systems. I have been considering side exhaust systems like this one from mustangtuning.com:

http://www.mustangtuning.com/sidepipes.html

I plan on going true dual but I am concern about ground clearance issues in front of the rear wheels.

The question is... Does the side exhaust tips scratch on speed humps and speed bumps in the road, or scratch when you have to go up an curve entrance way that is on some cars scratchs the under side of the front bumper?

Thanks for any advice or information given, and if anyone out there be it GT/Cobra or V6 owner that is a member of this forum and has side pipes tell me what you like about them.
It's almost impossible, unless you go over a norrow median. It's so close to the tires, that you'd have other issues before it could hit the side pipes.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks I was worried about it doing that. So that sounds like a good mod then?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
depends on the pipe size . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

You don't want to go over 2.25 inches in pipe diameter, 2 inch would be the best for a mostly stock v6.

New Toy - Custom 92 GT soon to be a turbo beast
DHG 01 Bullitt - JLT, Mac o/r H, MGW, Bama tune, Focus pump, 3.73s, DRs best 1/4 13.50 @ 101 best 1/8 8.53 @ 82
Red/White 88 GT vert (SOLD)
Autumn Orange 97 GT (SOLD)
Black 89 LX best 8.46 1/8 mile (SOLD)
2011 F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Spin Techs are cheaper . . .

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006 Thread Starter

from what I thought was that 2.5" is good for it and I think that the side exhaust dual/dual tips are 2 inch square tips...

Spin Tech, is that a good quality company?
And will I have to do like I had to in my camaro and replace the pipes after 2 to 3 years?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
from what I thought was that 2.5" is good for it and I think that the side exhaust dual/dual tips are 2 inch square tips...

Spin Tech, is that a good quality company?
And will I have to do like I had to in my camaro and replace the pipes after 2 to 3 years?
yeah, stainless steel & seam welded. good quality.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006 Thread Starter

I always like the look of the Borla exhaust and with the version I want costing almost, if not more than $1000 USD, I think that the the Steeda's are a better choice.

But after seeing the side exhaust in person I am not sure whether I want it or not. They look weird almost as if the rear exit was designed for the mustang and the side wasn't. A GT or even a V6 with the V6 bumper 2003-2004 Mustang I saw recently and it had rear exit that looked nice. But I want a some what exotic look to my V6 and I am not sure about the exhaust.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I always like the look of the Borla exhaust and with the version I want costing almost, if not more than $1000 USD, I think that the the Steeda's are a better choice.

But after seeing the side exhaust in person I am not sure whether I want it or not. They look weird almost as if the rear exit was designed for the mustang and the side wasn't. A GT or even a V6 with the V6 bumper 2003-2004 Mustang I saw recently and it had rear exit that looked nice. But I want a some what exotic look to my V6 and I am not sure about the exhaust.
The Spin Techs look exactly like the 2000 CobraR- with the optional tips, anyway.

The cost is only $424 or so at www.GTRHipo.com. They dynoed better than all except Bassani in a comparison by 5.0LMustangs a few years ago.

If you get the borlas, you shoud get the side valence to go with them to make them look OEM. they do look different.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006 Thread Starter

Different, that for sure. Hay thanks for the website I was having trouble navigating on the Spin Tech Mufflers site.

Hay at that much, WOW...

Will The Aftermarket Exhaust Mod Look Like The Gt Stock, Some Look A Little Awkward
Rookie

watch out for curbs, I hit one when I had side pipes on my crown vic and it ripped everything off up to the header... but if you have the body panels for these to go through you should be fine

Khyren
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyren
watch out for curbs, I hit one when I had side pipes on my crown vic and it ripped everything off up to the header... but if you have the body panels for these to go through you should be fine

Khyren
Crown Vics have a longer wheelbase . . . I had over-axle rear exhaust ripped by a stone in the road I couldn't avoid . . . -Caught on the muffler.

But on a short wheelbase carthe chances are minimal. If you want, screw in a block about 3x6" and see what damage it gets . . .

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINGOLD
Will The Aftermarket Exhaust Mod Look Like The Gt Stock, Some Look A Little Awkward
No it'll look like a Cobra R.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page