What to do with $1,500? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter

Question What to do with $1,500?

im sure this has been asked a million times but i couldnt find anything .

$1500 what to do? i know real power isn't within that price range. im looking for a good deal on a 4.2
but if i cant find a 4.2 what are some other options. will i have a chance with a 99-04 gt for that much money?

used s/c is still out of that price, and hard to find

N20 can be a option but... i would rather that not be the only increase in power.

gears/t-lok, chip, gt take offs and a 75 shot tho...? (that sound like a good way to go?) and what could my 1/4 time be.

or just keep the car for a while and not do anything, and keep that 1,500 for a down payment on something else much later downt he road. college student now money isnt exactly rolling in.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donks232
im sure this has been asked a million times but i couldnt find anything .

$1500 what to do? i know real power isn't within that price range. im looking for a good deal on a 4.2
but if i cant find a 4.2 what are some other options. will i have a chance with a 99-04 gt for that much money?

used s/c is still out of that price, and hard to find

N20 can be a option but... i would rather that not be the only increase in power.

gears/t-lok, chip, gt take offs and a 75 shot tho...? (that sound like a good way to go?) and what could my 1/4 time be.

or just keep the car for a while and not do anything, and keep that 1,500 for a down payment on something else much later downt he road. college student now money isnt exactly rolling in.

thanks!
You can actually pick up quite a bit of power for 1500, depending on what you've already done.

port and polish your heads and intake ($800+-) swap your cam ($300+-) and pick up a CAI, underdriver, and GT takeoffs.

Properly done, you should have around 240/250 hp equivalent (I say equivalent because the UD Pulley doesn't add hp, it frees hp) - which will put you pretty close to a 99+ GT in performance.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006

Hey ks where can you get heads and intakes port and polished for $800?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96mustang12
Hey ks where can you get heads and intakes port and polished for $800?
dang! He's raised his prices.

It's $500 now

http://rpm-mustangs.com/cart/product...cat=345&page=1

http://rpm-mustangs.com/cart/home.php?cat=340

and the intakes are $550 now . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006

How much of a hp difference is there between a 3 angle valve job and a 5 angle valve job? Is the cut and weld really worth the extra money that it costs?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96mustang12
How much of a hp difference is there between a 3 angle valve job and a 5 angle valve job? Is the cut and weld really worth the extra money that it costs?
I'd guess around 5-7% of total.

It's probably only worth it if you're going all-out for competition.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006

Something nice goes here, instead of calling people dummies.

Last edited by lcurle; 06-14-2006 at 03:32 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstangownr
Invest it, dummy.

Peace.
I reckon nobody would have much to talk about then . ..

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
I reckon nobody would have much to talk about then . ..
good point.

hey ks, I just ordered the UD pully kit and hurst shifter from rpmoutlet and I was wondering if the motoblue thermostat would be good to add on with it. not so much for performance but for reliability.

2002 v6 manual, SSM P&P Heads, Comp Cam from SSM, and some other stuff full list in profile.
214 RWHP, 215 RWTQ :tongue

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so"
-Ronald Reagan
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex117
good point.

hey ks, I just ordered the UD pully kit and hurst shifter from rpmoutlet and I was wondering if the motoblue thermostat would be good to add on with it. not so much for performance but for reliability.
Won't do anything without a programmer, and there's a real chance you could do some damage to the engine without reprogramming the computer, because of sensory misconfiguration. . .

The benefits are so small, it's not worth it . . .

If you wanna talk investments -I'm sure E.F. Hutton or Merrill Lynch has a site for ya.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter

ive never heard of any kind of over heating issue due to a 25% udp?

i might just get gears/tlok and maybe N2O (only if i get that cheap)

4.10 or 3.73 how much will 4.10 hurt my highway mpg, i should be doing too much highway, maybe 1 time a week 2 hours round trip
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
ive never heard of any kind of over heating issue due to a 25% udp?

i might just get gears/tlok and maybe N2O (only if i get that cheap)

4.10 or 3.73 how much will 4.10 hurt my highway mpg, i should be doing too much highway, maybe 1 time a week 2 hours round trip
it's an old school trick for an easy 5 hp -before EFI

Each step will knock off 1-2 mpg. What'll kill you is your RPM. If you like screaming at 3000+ rpm, then 4.10s are for you!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
it's an old school trick for an easy 5 hp -before EFI

Each step will knock off 1-2 mpg. What'll kill you is your RPM. If you like screaming at 3000+ rpm, then 4.10s are for you!
i know what a udp is, i think some ppl have dyno'ed it to give 7-8hp/tq. thats pretty nice for about 200$

im not 100% what gears come stock. are the 3.27 then 3.55 then 3.75 then 4.10
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
i know what a udp is, i think some ppl have dyno'ed it to give 7-8hp/tq. thats pretty nice for about 200$

im not 100% what gears come stock. are the 3.27 then 3.55 then 3.75 then 4.10
what year car is it?

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter

yeah that might help wouldnt it...its a 00 v6 stick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page