RPM problem (need to rev to 3k before car starts moving) - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

RPM problem (need to rev to 3k before car starts moving)

Hey guys,

I've just recently noticed a change in the way my car drives. From a stand-still...I've noticed I have to give more gas than normal to get going. All of a sudden I have to push my pedal to 3000 RPM's before I begin my normal (slow) start at a light. Normally what should get me going is 1500-2000 IIRC.

I've also noticed that my gas mileage has dropped since this problem started.

Any ideas what would cause this? I havent made any engine mods at all or touched my car since buying it.

P.S. It's a 1995 V6 Mustang. Not that it should matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhard
Hey guys,

I've just recently noticed a change in the way my car drives. From a stand-still...I've noticed I have to give more gas than normal to get going. All of a sudden I have to push my pedal to 3000 RPM's before I begin my normal (slow) start at a light. Normally what should get me going is 1500-2000 IIRC.

I've also noticed that my gas mileage has dropped since this problem started.

Any ideas what would cause this? I havent made any engine mods at all or touched my car since buying it.

P.S. It's a 1995 V6 Mustang. Not that it should matter.
How many miles on the car?

What kind of transmission? (I think I know)

When did you last check and replace your transmission fluid?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply kscoyote.

158,000 km on it...roughly 100k miles. It's a manual transmission.

I just bought this car 6 or 7 months ago...so I havent replaced it. I dont know when it was replaced.

How likely do you think its the transmission fluid? Could it be a gasket?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
S197 Member

clutch may be worn out
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

That could be it. This is my first standard car, so I dont know much about how clutches wear down.

I do know that my 'release' point is very close to me having my foot right off the clutch. I have been assuming that it would need to be replaced soon. I guess maybe now is the time :S

Is that how a car would react if the clutch was starting to go? If so, how long do I have before it totally craps on me?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006

This may sound dumb but in case u didnt notice b4 or that (i think u would have) but check the handbrake and make sure it isnt on or any thing.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006
S197 Member

i think the Brake light would be on in the dash

my friends 2000 GT was the same now we knew it was the clutch cause we burnt it out (Factory and it smells baaaad) but the car would start moving about 4K+ rpm and then would drop back down after it engaged. when engaged if u gunned the throttle it would slip (the clutch).

I would tend to say it is the clutch
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

I dont know if this makes a diff, but even when I'm already going and I need to speed up; I need to jump 2k-3k RPM before I start acelerating. Your clutch will do that if its starting to go?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply kscoyote.

158,000 km on it...roughly 100k miles. It's a manual transmission.

I just bought this car 6 or 7 months ago...so I havent replaced it. I dont know when it was replaced.

How likely do you think its the transmission fluid? Could it be a gasket?
It's probably the clutch, but you should change the fluid at that many miles.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

I've talked with some of the guys from work and they think I can adjust the clutch by pushing down on it and side stepping off of it so it pops back up. I'm going to try this on my lunch break, but has anyone heard of this working?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I've talked with some of the guys from work and they think I can adjust the clutch by pushing down on it and side stepping off of it so it pops back up. I'm going to try this on my lunch break, but has anyone heard of this working?
Older Mustangs on the 80s had a self adjusting clutch, but I think there were problems with it, and the feature was removed.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

I'll give it a try and see if it works. Is there any other easy way to adjust the clutch?

While we're on the topic, will it be a nightmare to replace a clutch on a 95 mustang? My dad's got the tools and we could do it...just worried about how long it takes. I dont want to waste a weekend fixing it if I dont have to.

P.S. Thank you kscoyote and 06BlkMustanGT for your quick replies and help
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

I received a quote from a local shop at $600-650 CAN. Still looking for quotes. I think its best to have a shop do it.

95 Mustangs use a cable for the clutch, correct? Not hydraulics? Can't I tighten the cable?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I received a quote from a local shop at $600-650 CAN. Still looking for quotes. I think its best to have a shop do it.

95 Mustangs use a cable for the clutch, correct? Not hydraulics? Can't I tighten the cable?
Shouldn't cost more than $350 US. At least around here -but COL is cheap here.

Swapping the clutch on a RWD vehicle is easy. Just check your u-joints, etc., while you have it apart.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Wow, $350 US...I'll ask around then.

I'm going to get a Hanes manual and check out how easy your easy is

Thanks for all your help kscoyote. If you ever come up to Canada, I'll buy you a big pitcher of quality beer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in