which Headers to get - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006 Thread Starter

which Headers to get

Hello, I am conteplating on getting new headers. I already have a true dual exhaust(2.25in pipes) with flowmasters. I see long tube and shorty headers online. will they both work? will i need to get attachments to make them fit. or will only certian ones fit. Any information you could give would be very helpful. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006

Aftermarket header aren't to hard to install, however, i payed to have mine installed. I would go with shorty headers that is what i did. I read more positive reviews when i googled the product. I buy most of my mods at summitracing.com and the web page as an easy to use search engine for make and model and year, even engine size. Plus they are usually relatively cheeper than everyone else.

bored 15 over, comp cam, after market upper plenum, bbk 400 hp rated fuel pump, cold air induction, egr delete, ford racing 8.8 w/locking 3.73 gears, custom flowmaster cat back true dual exhaust h-pipe, 19lb fuel inj

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marseea1
Hello, I am conteplating on getting new headers. I already have a true dual exhaust(2.25in pipes) with flowmasters. I see long tube and shorty headers online. will they both work? will i need to get attachments to make them fit. or will only certian ones fit. Any information you could give would be very helpful. thanks in advance.
Long tube headers will require the MAC h-pipe or a custom setup.

Short Tubes (JBA, BBK, and MAC) can run the OEM or use an adapter.

Neither are much good on a relatively stock 3.8L. It's only on boosted or fairly heavily modded cars that they do any good.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006 Thread Starter

thanks for you help, i appreciate it. Let me ask you this ks, what do you think my next mod should be. im going for as much horse as possible. would you reccomend UDP or something else?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006
V6 Member

I asked pretty much the same question and everyone suggested UDP, Cold Air Intake, Chip, and new rear end gears.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
thanks for you help, i appreciate it. Let me ask you this ks, what do you think my next mod should be. im going for as much horse as possible. would you reccomend UDP or something else?

If you're going for as much hp as possible, you need a supercharger.

Otherwise, yeah, pick up the UDP, it'll pay for itself, and bang for buck -it doesn't have many equals.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang9584
I asked pretty much the same question and everyone suggested UDP, Cold Air Intake, Chip, and new rear end gears.
What year do you have?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006 Thread Starter

I have an 02. my mods are listed on my signature. and unfortionatly i do not have the money for a supercharger, so the UDP are more in my price range. thanks for your help
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I have an 02. my mods are listed on my signature. and unfortionatly i do not have the money for a supercharger, so the UDP are more in my price range. thanks for your help
I always go for bang 4 buck & efficiency 1st -take care of the pennies & the dollars take care of themselves - works for modding, too.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006 Thread Starter

ok. so i purchased a some mac headers for 165. i thought that was a good price so i went ahead and picked them up. would you reccomned getting them professioanlly installed or doing it myself?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
ok. so i purchased a some mac headers for 165. i thought that was a good price so i went ahead and picked them up. would you reccomned getting them professioanlly installed or doing it myself?
Depends -do you have the time, tools and patience? It's not tough, the toughest part is clearing away all teh junk and reaching the back bolts.

Make sure you have new gaskets, and try to get locking bolts.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006 Thread Starter

so i would need to purchase new gaskets? how much are those and where could i get them?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
so i would need to purchase new gaskets? how much are those and where could i get them?
If you want to go all out, go to an auto parts store and pick up a set of Mr. Gasket gaskets, or something similar.

Otherwise the plain old Ford gaskets would be fine.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006 Thread Starter

I was told head gaskets cost $45 each at my local auto store. is this around the right price?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I was told head gaskets cost $45 each at my local auto store. is this around the right price?
did you tell them head gaskets or exhaust gaskets?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page