Whats the best side exhaust kit to use? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblack
KS, weren't you considering such a sc install at one point?
Yep, just waiting for the current engine to die. Hitting 130,000 miles this week. Assembling the parts I want as they become available, or cheaply acquired.

Got the upper and lower intake manifolds for $20 ap piece, and am just about finishing the polish work on the upper. I've been finding all kinds of cheap Kenny Brown hardware, and I've now gotten just about everything I want except the K-member and the seat tracks for 50% off or better.

Found a 94-5 Kenny Brown K-member for $300-350 (I'd pick it up if I were still planning the all-aluminum 302 -but I'm bound and determined to build the six) but no deals, so far, on the one I need.

Looking for cheap heads . . . I'll probably just go to the salvage yard down the road if no super deals come along.

For the bottom end, I'm picking up a complete SC engine, taking the forged bits and selling the rest on E-bay (heads, intake, rebuilt SC, block, brackets, etc) -

The forged parts I want should end up being free -I may end up making a profit . . .

What I've got done so far . . .

http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/galler...g0dvPT.PZNsMkF

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Journalism

I hope you're keeping good records and pics of everything. Looks like an automatic mag article if you can get her finished and looking pretty. You certainly have the writing skills. Its the sort of thing that MMFF would jump at.

I'll keep an eye peeled for those tbird heads. There's a group of real crazies herabouts that really loves the old tbirds, and some of them also have several later models (several have supercoupes). Might be a source in there sormewhere.

What sort of exhaust do you plan to use? Do they make headers for this sort of swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Yep, just waiting for the current engine to die. Hitting 130,000 miles this week. Assembling the parts I want as they become available, or cheaply acquired.

Got the upper and lower intake manifolds for $20 ap piece, and am just about finishing the polish work on the upper. I've been finding all kinds of cheap Kenny Brown hardware, and I've now gotten just about everything I want except the K-member and the seat tracks for 50% off or better.

Found a 94-5 Kenny Brown K-member for $300-350 (I'd pick it up if I were still planning the all-aluminum 302 -but I'm bound and determined to build the six) but no deals, so far, on the one I need.

Looking for cheap heads . . . I'll probably just go to the salvage yard down the road if no super deals come along.

For the bottom end, I'm picking up a complete SC engine, taking the forged bits and selling the rest on E-bay (heads, intake, rebuilt SC, block, brackets, etc) -

The forged parts I want should end up being free -I may end up making a profit . . .

What I've got done so far . . .

http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/galler...g0dvPT.PZNsMkF

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
I hope you're keeping good records and pics of everything. Looks like an automatic mag article if you can get her finished and looking pretty. You certainly have the writing skills. Its the sort of thing that MMFF would jump at.

I'll keep an eye peeled for those tbird heads. There's a group of real crazies herabouts that really loves the old tbirds, and some of them also have several later models (several have supercoupes). Might be a source in there sormewhere.

What sort of exhaust do you plan to use? Do they make headers for this sort of swap?
I'm not planning to leave it auto, I only got the auto so Jasmine could drive it if necessary . . . I want to use the CTS-V 6 speed, if I can talk someone into fabbing a bellhousing. -The ratios are more amenable to the 3.8L, less of a dropoff in 3rd as opposed to the T-56, but I'll go T56 if I have to.

Once it's rebuilt, it won't be a daily driver anymore.

I'm not looking for SC heads, They flow horribly -I'll sell the heads, intake, and the Eaton M90.

the 01+ split-port heads naturally aspirated make almost as much power as the SC.

All I want from the SC engine are the pistons, rods, and the crank. But I'll have to send the crank off to be zero-balanced . ..

A set of rebuilt T-bird SC heads used to go for $800, I figure I can sell the rebuilt Eaton M90 & intake for 600 at a minimum and the block and brackets, etc. for $200-300 minimally . .. So I get the rotating assembly for free.

If I make any money off it, it will go for modding the crank.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Heads

01+ for a 3.8 should be easy to find - I just saw some at a swap meet. I'll pm you with data if I find a deal - what would be a good price? Shouldn't cost that much - probably something like $100 a pair used. As I recall, these were on display as samples at a booth where the guy and his partner were selling custom chrome services - the heads had been chrome plated (might have been just for show - doubt if they had them machined properly to compensate). Must admit I gave them just a glance.

Have you checked into any of the jaguar trannys? Will any of them fit? Jaguar has some very fine manuals, including some designed to fit V6 motors. Have you thought of just upgrading to a 3650? It will bolt right in, and if you build it right, its very stout. The T56 is a heavy booger, and notchy feeling (you might want to test drive one). I really don't think ANY of the Ford manuals are particularly great - though I haven't really driven a new GT with a good shifter yet. That oe shifter is too rubbery for my taste.

I'd check out the oil pump swap for the forged parts - you might need some minor clearancing to fit your block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
I'm not planning to leave it auto, I only got the auto so Jasmine could drive it if necessary . . . I want to use the CTS-V 6 speed, if I can talk someone into fabbing a bellhousing. -The ratios are more amenable to the 3.8L, less of a dropoff in 3rd as opposed to the T-56, but I'll go T56 if I have to.

Once it's rebuilt, it won't be a daily driver anymore.

I'm not looking for SC heads, They flow horribly -I'll sell the heads, intake, and the Eaton M90.

the 01+ split-port heads naturally aspirated make almost as much power as the SC.

All I want from the SC engine are the pistons, rods, and the crank. But I'll have to send the crank off to be zero-balanced . ..

A set of rebuilt T-bird SC heads used to go for $800, I figure I can sell the rebuilt Eaton M90 & intake for 600 at a minimum and the block and brackets, etc. for $200-300 minimally . .. So I get the rotating assembly for free.

If I make any money off it, it will go for modding the crank.

tripleblack

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
01+ for a 3.8 should be easy to find - I just saw some at a swap meet. I'll pm you with data if I find a deal - what would be a good price? Shouldn't cost that much - probably something like $100 a pair used. As I recall, these were on display as samples at a booth where the guy and his partner were selling custom chrome services - the heads had been chrome plated (might have been just for show - doubt if they had them machined properly to compensate). Must admit I gave them just a glance.

Have you checked into any of the jaguar trannys? Will any of them fit? Jaguar has some very fine manuals, including some designed to fit V6 motors. Have you thought of just upgrading to a 3650? It will bolt right in, and if you build it right, its very stout. The T56 is a heavy booger, and notchy feeling (you might want to test drive one). I really don't think ANY of the Ford manuals are particularly great - though I haven't really driven a new GT with a good shifter yet. That oe shifter is too rubbery for my taste.

I'd check out the oil pump swap for the forged parts - you might need some minor clearancing to fit your block.

Nah, the whole rotating assembly drops in -the balance is different, but it can be zero balanced -Would also like to -what's the word for when they slice the crank to keep it from wacking the oil?

If I found a pair of heads for $100, I'd be mighty happy, -the shops were asking $200 each for cores -I haven't checked lately, I'm sure supply is up -at one point they were around 400.

-Just checked - cores are $100. The cheapest I've seen on e-bay is $400, and they run $200 around here so for the region, $100 is a good buy.

Really wanting a 6 speed, and the AY6 and the T-56 weigh about the same, but the gearing is a little better . .. Hadn't looked at Jaguar, but I'm guessing they would be pretty expensive. I can't think of any ford transmissions that would work, except the stuff out of Australia, but then I'm looking at importing again . ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._transmissions

Aisin AY6 transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_AY6_transmission
Aisin AY transmission
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The AY-6 is a 6-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 345 ft·lbf (468 N·m) of torque.

General Motors used the AY-6 as RPO MV1.

I'm going to work this out real quick.

T56 * 1.58

1 - 4.20
2 - 2.81
3 - 2.05
4 - 1.58
5 - 1.17
6 - 0.79

AY6

1 - 4.15
2 - 2.33
3 - 1.53
4 - 1.15
5 - 1.00
6 - 0.79

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:

Kenny Brown is blowing my budget, though - I'm having to buy the chassis stuff a lot faster that I had planned.

I hear he's in pretty good shape again. So perhaps the factory will start running . . .

I want to be able to wait until next year, to pick up a k-member and IRS parts.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Corral

You may already have this site bookmarked, but if you don't I'd check it regularly:

http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=319

One of the first listings is a guy with some nice new heads (says they've been worked over and intake to match) he got from RPM and is asking $900 for. Probably a good deal.

tripleblack

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
You may already have this site bookmarked, but if you don't I'd check it regularly:

http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=319

One of the first listings is a guy with some nice new heads (says they've been worked over and intake to match) he got from RPM and is asking $900 for. Probably a good deal.
Hadn't seen that classified section -there were never that many 6ers there in the past . .

It's a good deal for assembled heads, but I'm looking for bare heads -got my own ideas about the valves, seats and springs .. .

V6 Member

Quote:
No doubt turbos can be more labor to install. Cost is roughly a third more than, say, a good centrifugal unit (all but the PowerCharger/ATI sc's will require taping oil out of the pan, just like turbos). Power is about double, and lots of the extra cost are for things like tubular k members, headers, and coil overs, which have a value in and of themselves. Custom fabbing is pretty much a thing of the past - modern kits have all the pieces, its mainly a bolt on affair, though lots MORE bolts than the typical supercharger. You might check out www.modularpowerhouse.com. They list a very complete Twin Turbo install at $9300. A similar VorTech install (with intercooler, headers, tubular K member, tubular A members, etc.) would run about $6400. A 2.2 Kenne Bell will set you back about $7200 installed with comparable parts list.
I was looking at the turbo kit at www.modularpowerhouse.com but did not see a category for v6 turbo kits? And the only one turbo kit I found just listed power ratings for gts and higher. Do they have any v6 kits?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
What model, year and style Mustang do you have?

In general terms, it is a bad idea, for instance, to install a side exhaust on a convertible (body flexes too much, and you need to be adding subframe connectors instead of side exhausts).
If you use HANS Racecraft, Kenny Brown, or Spintech S-F Connectors, you can still run side exhaust on 'verts.

Griggs and MM preclude side exhaust, though . . . I think Steeda's do too . ..

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang9584
I was looking at the turbo kit at www.modularpowerhouse.com but did not see a category for v6 turbo kits? And the only one turbo kit I found just listed power ratings for gts and higher. Do they have any v6 kits?
TMA turbo has a system, as does -dang it, can't remember the name. There are 2-3 places that sell them, here's a favorite among 6ers.

http://www.tmaturbo.com/

The remote turbos will also work with a little modification.

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

These guys are suposed to come out with one soon for 94-04 GTs. The sizing isn't much different, particularly if you throw in a 4.2L rotating assembly from an F-150.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page