Is it possible to swap 2000 3.8L engine into my 97 Mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Question Is it possible to swap 2000 3.8L engine into my 97 Mustang?

Hi, I am needing to know if you can change out a 2000 3.8, and put it in a 1997? I have had a few people tell me its not possible! Please someone let me know if this is possible!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs&stripes
Hi, I am needing to know if you can change out a 2000 3.8, and put it in a 1997? I have had a few people tell me its not possible! Please someone let me know if this is possible!
Thanks!
anythings possible but why would you throw a 97 in a 200o ? its gonna make the car drag butt and you loose 40 hp.. it will cost you alot to make it fit right also .. like a throwing a 94 cobra 5.0 in there would run about the same price but far less worth it

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

no no no!! i'm wanting to put a 2000 3.8 into my 97! but i have been told that its not possible! i need to know if it is! b/c I can get a 2000 3.8 for $200, so i need to know! sorry for the confusion!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
Quote:
no no no!! i'm wanting to put a 2000 3.8 into my 97! but i have been told that its not possible! i need to know if it is! b/c I can get a 2000 3.8 for $200, so i need to know! sorry for the confusion!
lol ahh sorry man i read it wrong , just got home from the bar bro ... but ye u can deff. put a 2000 3.8 into a 97 and thats a good price for the engine .. its gonna cost you still to fit it not sure about total price tho

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

what do you mean to fit it?! what all would i have to do? i think it comes with everything, computer, harness, and all that fun stuff!? would i have to make modifications in the compartment?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
what do you mean to fit it?! what all would i have to do? i think it comes with everything, computer, harness, and all that fun stuff!? would i have to make modifications in the compartment?
nope, no mods to the engine bay, it all should bolt up and run fine if you change out the cpu

1998 V6
1987 GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto
nope, no mods to the engine bay, it all should bolt up and run fine if you change out the cpu
I dont think the tranny will match up.... since the 99+ uses the same as the GT... i dont think it will fit... but i maybe wrong

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006
V6 Member

You mean the 99+ v6s share the same auto tranny as the GT v8s? Thats good news. That means the tranny can take the same power/ torque abuse a GT could without switching to a diff tranny for higher HP.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36
You mean the 99+ v6s share the same auto tranny as the GT v8s? Thats good news. That means the tranny can take the same power/ torque abuse a GT could without switching to a diff tranny for higher HP.
Yea.... But i dont think he will be able to get the 99+ Engine to fit with the 97 tranny.... Since its the same tranny as a GT it will not fit...meaning that he will have to get a 99+ tranny also...

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36
only the 01+ cars . .. I think.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmagn13
I dont think the tranny will match up.... since the 99+ uses the same as the GT... i dont think it will fit... but i maybe wrong
Yeah, you may have to swap the bellhousing.
Give roger a call at www.rpm-mustangs.com to know for sure what you'll need.

If you're planning to mod it, drop in the engine, if not just take the heads, intake, fuel rails, etc and swap it onto your long block and swap the computer.

It will all bolt on.

but the 01+ blocks are a lot stronger.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
only the 01+ cars . .. I think.
Was it 01???? i dont know... i think your right....

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmagn13
Was it 01???? i dont know... i think your right....
Mid-cycle update to lower costs while the 2004.5 was being developed (which ended up boing an 05) . ..

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

hey guys! its me again! okay, so the 2000 3.8 will fit if i get the transmission to go with it! but what about the wires? I know i will need the CPU with it! but is there any difference in the sensors, or wiring diagrams? If the new motor comes with the harness, there shouldn't be any problem right!?
Let me know!
Thanks!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
hey guys! its me again! okay, so the 2000 3.8 will fit if i get the transmission to go with it! but what about the wires? I know i will need the CPU with it! but is there any difference in the sensors, or wiring diagrams? If the new motor comes with the harness, there shouldn't be any problem right!?
Let me know!
Thanks!
Did you call Roger?

you don't really need to swap the computer if you pick up a chip or programmer with the corrected fuel maps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in