hey everyone im new and wants to know a little about swapping - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

hey everyone im new and wants to know a little about swapping

hey everyone im new here and have 96 stang .... its putting out 150hp i believe but im not satisfied with that because ive got my ass handed to me quite a few times .. so i was thinking about swaping my engine to 4.2. im wondering how much hp i would be putting out with that and if it is good idea to swap the engine because i dont want to damage my ride. i have to keep this car for couple of more years so yeah. also how much would the swapping cost, i have about 1500 on me right now so you think i would be able to get low milage, good conditioned engine and get installed in that price range... and right now im running 0-60 in 9.8s but with that 4.2 what'll be my 0-60 .. any estimates ... anyways guys thanks for taking your time and reading the post :shiny:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangness
hey everyone im new here and have 96 stang .... its putting out 150hp i believe but im not satisfied with that because ive got my ass handed to me quite a few times .. so i was thinking about swaping my engine to 4.2. im wondering how much hp i would be putting out with that and if it is good idea to swap the engine because i dont want to damage my ride. i have to keep this car for couple of more years so yeah. also how much would the swapping cost, i have about 1500 on me right now so you think i would be able to get low milage, good conditioned engine and get installed in that price range... and right now im running 0-60 in 9.8s but with that 4.2 what'll be my 0-60 .. any estimates ... anyways guys thanks for taking your time and reading the post :shiny:
You'll just want to swap in the block, the intake won't clear.

You should move to mid-6's in th e0-60. You won't get much more hp, because of the restriction in heads and intake, but if you put a 3/4" spacer between teh upper and lower intake your hp should jump to 215-217hp.

the 4.2L makes 202-205 hp, but 255-260 ft/lbs of torque. The Mustang has a more aggressive tune, and you'll neet a programmer of chip to run the combination so with a proper tune, it could go up 7-15 +- more depending on octane, etc.

http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2006/ford/f-150/techspecs/
http://www.fordf150.net/specs/engines.php

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
You'll just want to swap in the block, the intake won't clear.

You should move to mid-6's in th e0-60. You won't get much more hp, because of the restriction in heads and intake, but if you put a 3/4" spacer between teh upper and lower intake your hp should jump to 215-217hp.

the 4.2L makes 202-205 hp, but 255-260 ft/lbs of torque. The Mustang has a more aggressive tune, and you'll neet a programmer of chip to run the combination so with a proper tune, it could go up 7-15 +- more depending on octane, etc.

http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2006/ford/f-150/techspecs/
http://www.fordf150.net/specs/engines.php
For all the trouble of swapping motors, computers and so fourth for those small gains wouldnt he be better off modding his current car?

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

hnmmmm thanks for the reply .... oh ya any idea how much the used motor will cost and would i still be able to mod my car or i'll be stuck around 215hp ... i want to get udp, gears, tlok, programmer and intake in the future but for now ive set my goal on engine swapping because its the cheapest bang for buck IMO
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONECOLD
For all the trouble of swapping motors, computers and so fourth for those small gains wouldnt he be better off modding his current car?
25-30 ft/lbs is pretty big!

It's pretty easy to get 245hp out of the 4.2L, with dual exhaust, throttlebody, intake spacer, mild street cam, and a CAI with a tune. (The F-150 cam is more geared for torque production . .. )

Getting it with single exhaust, and everything else stock would be tough.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
hnmmmm thanks for the reply .... oh ya any idea how much the used motor will cost and would i still be able to mod my car or i'll be stuck around 215hp ... i want to get udp, gears, tlok, programmer and intake in the future but for now ive set my goal on engine swapping because its the cheapest bang for buck IMO
Yeah, F-150 owners take all kinds of stuff from the Mustang mods. It's the same block.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

oh ok thanks for the reply guys and one more thing ... i heard that with 3.73 gears n t-lok u can reduce 1/4 by 1 second ... so if i get the engine and top of that i install gears,tlok,cai,tru duals and UDPs then will i be running low 5s from 0-60?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
oh ok thanks for the reply guys and one more thing ... i heard that with 3.73 gears n t-lok u can reduce 1/4 by 1 second ... so if i get the engine and top of that i install gears,tlok,cai,tru duals and UDPs then will i be running low 5s from 0-60?
0-60 is about 1/3-1/2 of the time it takes to run the 1/4 mile - so 0-60 will take off around 0.33 seconds with gears.

You should be in low 6s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in