Any HP Gain with Single Exhaust System? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Question Any HP Gain with Single Exhaust System?

Hi!

As i know dual is for sounding. So i dont care about sound. I need some hps over that If i need sound i will buy v8
At the moment im thinking about single system (only new perfomance muffler and new tip). Have any one done this here? All i found was only dual..dual..dual
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3383
And thats all? Should i change any other things and what is default pipe diameter (2.5" or 2")?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

My Son has a '97 V6(my old one) and he ended up going with duals because it helped with the HP gain. I really don't think you'll pick up any HP until you go to dual exhaust. You can purchase one without all the big sound and still get off the line quicker. I'm not sure about the stock diameter, but he went with 2.25". He had the shop cut right after the cats, and go true dual out the back-big difference. Not alot of money invested. The '95 GT tailpipes were used for both bend and axle clearance. Do you have a K&N filter in it? Even a drop in would be better than the stocky.

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuudor
Hi!

As i know dual is for sounding. So i dont care about sound. I need some hps over that If i need sound i will buy v8
At the moment im thinking about single system (only new perfomance muffler and new tip). Have any one done this here? All i found was only dual..dual..dual
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3383
And thats all? Should i change any other things and what is default pipe diameter (2.5" or 2")?
If you're going single exhaust you should go 2.5" minimum - you could probably do a 2.75 or 3". For dual you need to keep it small.

It's easier to find dual exhaust, and it balances the look of the car from the rear.

The only single exhaust system for the six that I've seen is by SpinTech, and it's single side exhaust.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006
V6 Member

I'm new to this site but not new to what works to gain HP a dual exaust will gain you HP and as will a Cold air intake the more cold air going in will help make HP and then with a dual exaust it breathes better.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM04Stang
I'm new to this site but not new to what works to gain HP a dual exaust will gain you HP and as will a Cold air intake the more cold air going in will help make HP and then with a dual exaust it breathes better.
Exhaust will get you more. The intake is the same as a GT's up to the throttle body. A correctly sized exhaust (2"-2.25") will net you 12-16 hp. Going too large on the exhaust will lose you both hp and torque.

Metal CAIs perform no better than a drop in K&N Filter. That said, plastic CAIs like from DeMolet & K&N have gains of 7-12 hp. As far as bang for the buck, it's about equal.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006
PONY Member

i wanted sound and hp, so i got dual flowmaster 40s. the 2.25 is the best size for the v6, and i can really feel the difference in my car off the line.

2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Manual
Mods: Roushcharger, Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, MGW Shifter, Flowmaster Hushpower Cat-back, various suspension upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in