4.10 gears on a v6? Advice plz? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

4.10 gears on a v6? Advice plz?

Ok, 98 v6, true dual flows. How much of an improvement are 4.10s? I need to know anything you can tell me.

How big of a deal to install?
Speed/Acceleration improvement?
Cost?
Stress engine (auto)?
Good for everyday driver?

My car is an everyday driver, but I tend to race at any chance I can get and would love an advantage over other sixbangers. Help if you can. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlik3
Ok, 98 v6, true dual flows. How much of an improvement are 4.10s? I need to know anything you can tell me.

How big of a deal to install?
Speed/Acceleration improvement?
Cost?
Stress engine (auto)?
Good for everyday driver?

My car is an everyday driver, but I tend to race at any chance I can get and would love an advantage over other sixbangers. Help if you can. Thanks
I have a 2002 V6 with 4:10's... I love them I can take GT's off the line, and sometimes win...

I installed them myself, it was not really that hard... To get them installed is going to be $200-$350.... My car is an everyday driver... at 100MPH the engine is at 3400 RPM's...

I have not really seen a decrease in MPG... since the difference in the highway and city balanced out well... i get aroung 25MPG average...

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

$200 just to install , I wish I was older and had a real job lol. The gears are going to cost about another $100-$150 right?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member

Quote:
$200 just to install , I wish I was older and had a real job lol. The gears are going to cost about another $100-$150 right?
Yea... plus you should get it programmed... around 300 for Diablo predator....

You could install them yourself....

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
so are they safe for my engine ?? im thinking about getting some withing the month and are 4.10 the best for the 3.8 ? and whats the best brand to go with ??

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom810
so are they safe for my engine ?? im thinking about getting some withing the month and are 4.10 the best for the 3.8 ? and whats the best brand to go with ??
Might be a little much for a manual, but it depends on what percentage you drive on the highway.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

So they'd be fine for my auto?

Also, is it really going to make a big difference. Like after I get them will I be like " Thats cool I think I can take v6 camaros now" or " HELL YEA I'M RIPPEN GTs!" loll....
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
So they'd be fine for my auto?

Also, is it really going to make a big difference. Like after I get them will I be like " Thats cool I think I can take v6 camaros now" or " HELL YEA I'M RIPPEN GTs!" loll....
Gears alone won't get you there, but the WILL help you out alot, if that's your goal.

If you plan non-N2O power adder, though, it's best not to touch the gears too much.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

No lol, no power adders, im on a low budged here.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
No lol, no power adders, im on a low budged here.
If you've got an auto, you're gonna need another 300-400 dollars for the chip or programmer -after the install and the gears -it's not a cheap option.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Greattt, well I guess i wont be getting gears.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Go for efficiency 1st, and use the savings for what you want to do.

What have you done so far?

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

All I have so far is new tires and true dual flows.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
All I have so far is new tires and true dual flows.
You have a 1998?

you can

1) pick up a set of 25% Underdriver pulleys for $69-$85

2) install 1.8 Roller Rockers $250

3) Pick up a DenseCharger for $60-70.

Do some porting work on your intake or swap to a split port intake & headsfor big power. $500+

V6 Member

How much hp are those densechargers supposed to add on a stock 99 v6. And where can you get them? I was considering getting those roller rockers from morana in my earlier post and a BBK cold air fenderwell intake. But would the densecharger be better than the BBK?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page