Help on big problem - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Unhappy Help on big problem

Hey guys I got a big problem I need help on. Starting about like two months ago there has been a small ticking noise that would get louder as you accelerate but it was a quite ticking noise. I am almost 100% sure that it is a exhaust leak but anyways. Well I kept driving it because I thought no worries and i would take it to the exhaust shop when i get a chance. Well tonight on my way home from work i was horseplaying around a lil bit and all of a sudden my exhaust became extremely loud. So i think it has just become loose on the drivers side where it connects to the header but what do you guys think?? What would be the solution for this?? Im hoping i just nead to tighten some bolts and stuff but i wana know from the experienced. Thanks guys

Luke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur_Stang
Hey guys I got a big problem I need help on. Starting about like two months ago there has been a small ticking noise that would get louder as you accelerate but it was a quite ticking noise. I am almost 100% sure that it is a exhaust leak but anyways. Well I kept driving it because I thought no worries and i would take it to the exhaust shop when i get a chance. Well tonight on my way home from work i was horseplaying around a lil bit and all of a sudden my exhaust became extremely loud. So i think it has just become loose on the drivers side where it connects to the header but what do you guys think?? What would be the solution for this?? Im hoping i just nead to tighten some bolts and stuff but i wana know from the experienced. Thanks guys

Luke
how many miles does it have ?? could be just getting old and need a new exhuast set up ... if so can get it replaced for like $200 ... my 2000 v6 stock exhuast was rusted and need to be replaced so i just got all new everything on when i got my duals so it all totaled to around $620

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:

Luke
What year is it? and are they OEM headers?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Hey guys thanks for the quick replys cause today is my day off. Ok it is a 2001 v6, it has about 70,000 miles on it and I but dual exhaust on it about 5000 miles ago. It still has stock headers but the noise sounds like it is coming from the driverside in the front.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for the quick replys cause today is my day off. Ok it is a 2001 v6, it has about 70,000 miles on it and I but dual exhaust on it about 5000 miles ago. It still has stock headers but the noise sounds like it is coming from the driverside in the front.
What kind of dual exhaust?

Could be a leak in the headers, but it sounds more like your mufflers have rusted out . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

When i got the dual exhaust put on the guy order me a true dual exhaust setup with flowmaster 40's. I dont think they could be allready rusted but i just dont know what to do, Im going to go check to see exactly where the sound is coming from now. Thanks
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Ok guys here is the update. I got my car all jacked up so i could see what was going on. On the drivers side, where the mid pipe and the headers come together you know how they connect using those two flange steal plates, well there still screwed in but both plates are attached to just the mid pipe... so i can move the pipes around because it is not connected to the headers... What should i do guys?? I thought that the two steel flanges were suppose to be before the header meets the mid pipe and they werent suppose to be able to slip over because the pipes get more round on the end. Thanks for the help guys
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok guys here is the update. I got my car all jacked up so i could see what was going on. On the drivers side, where the mid pipe and the headers come together you know how they connect using those two flange steal plates, well there still screwed in but both plates are attached to just the mid pipe... so i can move the pipes around because it is not connected to the headers... What should i do guys?? I thought that the two steel flanges were suppose to be before the header meets the mid pipe and they werent suppose to be able to slip over because the pipes get more round on the end. Thanks for the help guys
Can you send a pic?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Ok, I gotcha, took me a while to figure it out.

Whoever put in your system screwed up. Run it back to them, and they shoudl repair it for free.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

So the only thin is both of the flange steal plates are pushed and still tightened to just the driverside tip of the mid pipe... How could of the flange slipped over the end of the header?? It doesnt make since and i would like to just fix it myself. Is there anything i could try fellas or do you think im going to need new headers?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
So the only thin is both of the flange steal plates are pushed and still tightened to just the driverside tip of the mid pipe... How could of the flange slipped over the end of the header?? It doesnt make since and i would like to just fix it myself. Is there anything i could try fellas or do you think im going to need new headers?
Did they take off the cats?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Hey thanks again, what happened is that the end of the header broke off so the flange and a small piece of the header is still attached to the mid pipes. How hard is it to replace the headers on a 2001 v6 mustang or can i just get a factory replacement and just change out the drivers side? I am not sure but i believe that there still are cats on because he didnt charge me for any 02 sensor eliminators
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Hey thanks again, what happened is that the end of the header broke off so the flange and a small piece of the header is still attached to the mid pipes. How hard is it to replace the headers on a 2001 v6 mustang or can i just get a factory replacement and just change out the drivers side? I am not sure but i believe that there still are cats on because he didnt charge me for any 02 sensor eliminators
What else have you done to it?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member

The car is a 2001 v6 mustang, automatic, K&N fipkII, true dual exhaust, flowmaster 40's, and thats it.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
The car is a 2001 v6 mustang, automatic, K&N fipkII, true dual exhaust, flowmaster 40's, and thats it.
Well, if you want to go farther, pick up a set of JBA or BBK headers, -if you figure you're not going to go any farther -stick with OEM . .. .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page