99 v6 Roller Rockers - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

99 v6 Roller Rockers

www.moranav6racing.com sells a set of roller rockers for my 99 v6 for 350. They say this is a bolt on you can add with nothing else and get 15-18 hp with no additional parts? Would these actually give you that much more power on a pretty stock 99 v6? Would this be a good upgrade?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang9584
www.moranav6racing.com sells a set of roller rockers for my 99 v6 for 350. They say this is a bolt on you can add with nothing else and get 15-18 hp with no additional parts? Would these actually give you that much more power on a pretty stock 99 v6? Would this be a good upgrade?
that's at the crank, rwhp would be 10-15 hp. depending on transmission & tune.

the six is really hampered by the intake more than the exhaust, and it has a LESS radical cam than the 94-98s.

The more air you can get into the cylinder, the more power you make.

With the 1.8RRs, you increase the lift a pretty good amount, and a little on the duration as the leverage opens them a little faster.

They're cheaper at www.RPM-Mustangs.com.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Its a 99 v6 5-spead manual. So this and a BBK cold air fenderwell or a densecharger would be a good couple upgrades to start with?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Its a 99 v6 5-spead manual. So this and a BBK cold air fenderwell or a densecharger would be a good couple upgrades to start with?
The BBK is only worth 1-2 hp over just a drop in filter. It's metal, so as the temp goes up, the drop-in filter could outperform the BBK.

But yeah, or your first mods, you should try to get free hp & increase efficiency.

CAI, Underdrivers, Roller Rockers, a programmer, manifold spacer, exhaust, and traction-lok should all be on the table, and you can use the savings to increase your purchasing power.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

at rpmoutlet.com they have a ford racing posi-trac traction lok. There are two other options there thought... a ford racing modified cross shaft and a 4-ounce friction modifier for Posi-Traction. What would these do for me? Would they be worth the money if i ordered the traction lok system?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
at rpmoutlet.com they have a ford racing posi-trac traction lok. There are two other options there thought... a ford racing modified cross shaft and a 4-ounce friction modifier for Posi-Traction. What would these do for me? Would they be worth the money if i ordered the traction lok system?
If you live with cold winters -totally.

If you can afford it, you should pick up a Detriot Locker over the Ford Racing Unit.

Forget the modifier & use Royal Purple synthetic.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
that's at the crank, rwhp would be 10-15 hp. depending on transmission & tune.

the six is really hampered by the intake more than the exhaust, and it has a LESS radical cam than the 94-98s.

The more air you can get into the cylinder, the more power you make.

With the 1.8RRs, you increase the lift a pretty good amount, and a little on the duration as the leverage opens them a little faster.

They're cheaper at www.RPM-Mustangs.com.
Should I get the performance camshaft and the roller rockers from them? What kind of gains would i be getting with both? And what is the difference between the billet cam and the other one?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Should I get the performance camshaft and the roller rockers from them? What kind of gains would i be getting with both? And what is the difference between the billet cam and the other one?
If you decide to change your cam, don't swap your roller rockers to 1.8s, you need to have them selected for the cam you choose.

The amount of horsepower from a cam is going to go to intended use, what else you've done to the car in the way of porting, etc. The cam swap can get you as much as 25-30 hp or as little as 10-15.

RPM-Mustangs provides quality work and parts for really good prices. Sometimes they can get backlogged, but by all means give him a call.

I'd recommend calling competition cams (since they're toll free) and discussing cam selection with them.

www.compcam.com

Morana www.moranav6racing.com is probably putting together the most powerful engines -he's up to 500 rwhp. But it will probably not make a good daily driven vehicle.

Supersix motorsports www.supersixmotorsports is another place to look at, but they tend to get pricey -but they do hold the record for the quickest v6 mustang, or at least they did. But they field a car of their own, and the rest really don't. So you're paying for their racing program.

The others build engines and can't control the chassis they go in. So they have a lot of powerful engines sitting in chassis' that can't put the power to the ground.

Chassis setup is always THE MOST important thing in racing of ANY kind. Which is why you should invest in your chassis FIRST, power foundations SECOND and Engine THIRD.

If you have your chassis sorted, you can beat cars with a LOT more power, because their power is going into twisting the chassis, uneven power distribution, compensatory steering, etc. If the chassis is out of control, you can never keep the throttle planted.

That's how you'd see little 5.0L cars beating the daylights out of 454-455 ci monsters. It was chassis setup and engineering superiority

billet cams are made of harder material and last longer.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

So as I said I have a pretty much stock 99 v6 5-speed. It's got a roush dual exhaust kit and thats it. I'd like it to be a daily driver as of now with a lot of power (Plenty to keep up with gts and hopefully cobras) that as I get more money will hopefully turn in to my secondary collector car with ALOT more power. So exactly where should I start including chassis, power foundations, and engine.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
So as I said I have a pretty much stock 99 v6 5-speed. It's got a roush dual exhaust kit and thats it. I'd like it to be a daily driver as of now with a lot of power (Plenty to keep up with gts and hopefully cobras) that as I get more money will hopefully turn in to my secondary collector car with ALOT more power. So exactly where should I start including chassis, power foundations, and engine.
There are a lot of options, depending on your budget and what you want to do.

All out, 100% race quality stuff? Griggs, Maximum motorsports, and Steeda. Mid-level stuff that you can continue to upgrade? Kenny Brown, Steeda, Hans Racecraft, QA1, & Evolution Motorsports are all good choices.

Your power foundations are going to depend on which wayt you want to go -Naturally Aspirated or Power Adder?

In either case, re: foundation, you've got to shore up your rear-end with a Limited Slip Differential either from Ford Racing or Detriot Locker, and a pumpkin from TA Performance. You're also going to have to decide what to do about the rear end as a whole. you're going to need to either pick up some traction bars, or have someone attach mounts for quad shocks to keep the rear end under control. Depending on how much power you want, you may have to switch to better upper and lower control arms, or scrap the whole thing altogether and use a Steeda 5-link, for example, or something else, depending on how much handling capabilities you want.

Street/Road Race or street/strip?

If you decide Naturally Aspirated is the way to go, then you don't have to worry so much about cooling a outside of an oil cooler, but you should start picking up upgraded ingition pieces so that when the engine is done, you've got a reliable spark, and that includes a doubleroller timing chain, etc.,

If you know you want a power adder, you may have to swap out the radiator for a Cobra Spec Unit, at a minimum.

You're also going to have to start putting together the foundational pieces for the engine (windage tray, stud girdle, forged pistons & connecting rods, etc.)

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Sorry, got off on a tangent.

You should start with the items that will pay for themselves engine wise -the stuff that will make your engine more efficient -which means stuff that will make more power with your engine tune set at stock.

Pick up a set of underdrivers, a CAI, and if you can find one, an intake spacer of 3/4" that fits between the upper and lower intake manifold.

-if you know you're going to take a while, you might want to consider the 1.8RRs for the time being if you know you're not going to swap out the cam for 1 or two years -if that makes any sense . ..

put away the money you save and start with subframe connectors, a rear sway bar, a strut tower brace at a minimum, and after that go to work on your rear end.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Well I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up the limited slip differential and probably a flasher from diablosport. I only have on other question for now... what exactly is a pumpkin?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Well I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up the limited slip differential and probably a flasher from diablosport. I only have on other question for now... what exactly is a pumpkin?
Rear Differential Brace. TA Performance is the only manufacturer. They used to make it for the SVOs. They still make 'em for the 7.5" Ford Rear.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
Rear Differential Brace. TA Performance is the only manufacturer. They used to make it for the SVOs. They still make 'em for the 7.5" Ford Rear.
Are you talking about their rear end girdles? Because I couldn't exactly find a rear differential brace on their website and their search doesn't work...
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Are you talking about their rear end girdles? Because I couldn't exactly find a rear differential brace on their website and their search doesn't work...
yeah, brace/girdle. I use the term interchangeably.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page