V6 mustang= hopeless - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

V6 mustang= hopeless

My ride: 98 v6, true dual flowmasters...

I was out almost all day today and got destroyed by almost everything on the street (sports cars). Basically, what I've reliazed is that the v6 mustang is the slowest sports car. I was killed by a prelude, eclipse (prolly modded) 2 v6 camros and every gt/z28 that I rode up on. Oh yea, I was taking my girl home about 5 minutes ago and I went past a GT (through a light) going about 40, I hit the gas and that GT (03'ish...) still caught up/past me.

What I'm saying is, unless you have the money to buy a twin turbo or supercharger, the v6 is not made for driving fast... plus if I could afford a supercharger wouldn't I have a GT?

I'm really considering dropping plan A ( a v6 that can run with GTs) and going to plan B (going all out on looks/system).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hey man your v6 can only be as good as you want it to be. In every car especially if you want to drag or track race, your going to have to put money into it. Even go for the cheap stuff such as CAI and a tune stuff like that. Maybe some headers or somthing.:hihi: :hihi:

2005 v6 black Mustang Manual
Hurst shifter, Jba dual exhaust, CnL CAI, SCT Xcalibrator tune
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlik3

I was out almost all day today and got destroyed by almost everything on the street (sports cars). Basically, what I've reliazed is that the v6 mustang is the slowest sports car. I was killed by a prelude, eclipse (prolly modded) 2 v6 camros and every gt/z28 that I rode up on. Oh yea, I was taking my girl home about 5 minutes ago and I went past a GT (through a light) going about 40, I hit the gas and that GT (03'ish...) still caught up/past me.

What I'm saying is, unless you have the money to buy a twin turbo or supercharger, the v6 is not made for driving fast... plus if I could afford a supercharger wouldn't I have a GT?

I'm really considering dropping plan A ( a v6 that can run with GTs) and going to plan B (going all out on looks/system).
well for one thing you only have around 140 horses , another you need mods !! and if you would of had a 99 and up the prelude and eclipse woulda ate dust.. i had a eclipse gt v6 and compared to my mustangs that thing is so weak, sure its quick off the line but when the line is behind you theres no power to push it.. duals aint gonna make a 98 fast , plus how much wieght do you got in there ? subs / spare / amp / your girl ? lol gotta ad that stuff up

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:

the 96-8 GTs have the same problem.

It doesn't take all that much money to be able to run with the Sport Compacts you mentioned. and it won't take much to run with GTs from your era, Running with 99+ GTs will take a little more effort, and the fastest way is with a power adder, but the same goes for the rest of the sub compacts.

That's why you have to have goals.

the prelude had at the most 170 hp. you only need 30 hp to beat them. a head & intake swap will do that and then some.

same goes for the Eclips GT, so those goals are easy.

the 94-98GTs have 215hp and more weght. you can go two routes from the above -swap in a 4.2L short block -and you're there. those short blocks generally run 75-200 dollars -no big deal.

now is where the hard part comes in, and you're going to have to make a decision.

do you want to go after the 99+ GTs. that's a bigger challenge, and doing it naturally aspirated will be more difficult, and there aren't as many ways of getting there without running into money. you're going to need a port and polish of both heads and intakes, along with a pretty racy cam, etc.

now if your GOAL is to beat the 99+ GTs you need to build your foundation 1st.

If your goal is to beat the imports 1st, then you can forget about the foundation, because you aren't talking about that much more power.

Does this make any sense?

If your goal is to beat accords and eclipses, then go with underdrivers, CAI, and y-exhaust. and pick up an intake manifold spacer, and you're almost there. pick up some 1.8 Roller Rockers, and you should have that goal.

but if you're going after 99+ GTs, then you're going to have to throw a lot of that stuff away in the end.

So what do you want to do?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Honestly, once I'm off to college (like actaully away not my first 2 years at a junior college) im going 2 sell the v6 and get a z28. So I'll be driving this thing for 3 years max. I think the wise choice would to be basic bolt ons to beat imports, and then some on the looks?

50% perfomance/50% Looks, and I dont want to invest more then 2k

So what would you recommand...
- New CAI first?
- Or save up for new gears?
- Get the headers?

Oh yes and what your saying makes perfect since. My problem is i'm to young 2 get a real job (so s/c and turbos are out of the question).

Oh yea, the 4.2 swap, how would that work? Just go to a shop, rip mine out and stick that one in for $200? Wouldn't I need new brakes and everything? Why not just get a v8 put in? I don't know anything about engine swaps...

And then again, by the time I put in $200 for gears, $300 for a programmer, $300 for headers, $300 for CAI, plus the $350 that I just spent on my exhaust... thats roughly $1,500. Hell, thats enough for a S/C.

I dont know, I'm just being a ***** I guess lol, i have no idea where to go from here.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Honestly, once I'm off to college (like actaully away not my first 2 years at a junior college) im going 2 sell the v6 and get a z28. So I'll be driving this thing for 3 years max. I think the wise choice would to be basic bolt ons to beat imports, and then some on the looks?

50% perfomance/50% Looks, and I dont want to invest more then 2k

So what would you recommand...
- New CAI first?
- Or save up for new gears?
- Get the headers?

Oh yes and what your saying makes perfect since. My problem is i'm to young 2 get a real job (so s/c and turbos are out of the question).

Oh yea, the 4.2 swap, how would that work? Just go to a shop, rip mine out and stick that one in for $200? Wouldn't I need new brakes and everything? Why not just get a v8 put in? I don't know anything about engine swaps...

And then again, by the time I put in $200 for gears, $300 for a programmer, $300 for headers, $300 for CAI, plus the $350 that I just spent on my exhaust... thats roughly $1,500. Hell, thats enough for a S/C.

I dont know, I'm just being a ***** I guess lol, i have no idea where to go from here.
You don't need headers unless you're pushing 250 hp at the wheels. The BEST CAI sells for 165.00 and you don't really need gears. If you've got 255-260 ft/lbs of torque (Which is what the baseline is on a 4.2L), 3.27s or better would be nice (and you can find THOSE cheap on e-bay -the 3.27s anyway) but if you're on a budget it's not necessary.

the 4.2L block is exactly the same. You don't need brakes etc, because it's the same weight as what you've got -there's no difference. The only difference is the stroke from the crank.

And that's why it's cheaper to simply exchange the block to increase your displacement. Everything else will bolt up. But I wouldn't recommend using your 98 heads because they're restrictive (just like the 94-8 GTs). If you're on a budget, run to the salvage yard find a cheap 4.2L in good condition they're like 300 dollars or so, pick up a 99-01 intake manifold, sell the 4.2L manifold and pick up a programmer. you'll pick up 60+ hp, 35-45 ft /bs of torque for 6-800 dollars + installation, depending on how much of the work you do yourself. You can disconnect all the fittings & electronics, have them drop the engine in, and you can take care of the rest of the installation.

Then you're a cam away from being competitive with the GTs, and you won't have to worry about the Sport Compacts.

A v8 swap requires a new computer rewiring, brakes, suspension, rear end etc. it all comes to $4000 or so + the cost of the engine.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006
V6 Member

are there any websites you would recommend for finding 4.2's (with low miles) to swap with the existing 3.8? Or would you just find the engine in a salvage yard? How much horsepower would it add (especially with my 1996 3.8? and how much total $, just for the engine?) Thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
You don't need headers unless you're pushing 250 hp at the wheels. The BEST CAI sells for 165.00 and you don't really need gears. If you've got 255-260 ft/lbs of torque (Which is what the baseline is on a 4.2L), 3.27s or better would be nice (and you can find THOSE cheap on e-bay -the 3.27s anyway) but if you're on a budget it's not necessary.

the 4.2L block is exactly the same. You don't need brakes etc, because it's the same weight as what you've got -there's no difference. The only difference is the stroke from the crank.

And that's why it's cheaper to simply exchange the block to increase your displacement. Everything else will bolt up. But I wouldn't recommend using your 98 heads because they're restrictive (just like the 94-8 GTs). If you're on a budget, run to the salvage yard find a cheap 4.2L in good condition they're like 300 dollars or so, pick up a 99-01 intake manifold, sell the 4.2L manifold and pick up a programmer. you'll pick up 60+ hp, 35-45 ft /bs of torque for 6-800 dollars + installation, depending on how much of the work you do yourself. You can disconnect all the fittings & electronics, have them drop the engine in, and you can take care of the rest of the installation.

Then you're a cam away from being competitive with the GTs, and you won't have to worry about the Sport Compacts.

A v8 swap requires a new computer rewiring, brakes, suspension, rear end etc. it all comes to $4000 or so + the cost of the engine.
Alright then, I'm seriously considering the 4.2 swap, thing is, I only have 25,000 miles on my 3.8. So I don't want to pick up a used 4.2 with 90,000 miles, know what I'm saying.

And yes, a website would be great :smilie, but I know a few local junkyards as well... thanks for your help
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to Venom810
Quote:
Alright then, I'm seriously considering the 4.2 swap, thing is, I only have 25,000 miles on my 3.8. So I don't want to pick up a used 4.2 with 90,000 miles, know what I'm saying.

And yes, a website would be great :smilie, but I know a few local junkyards as well... thanks for your help
25k miles on the 98 ? nice man just find a new and used parts store/website and see if they will take a trade in plus cash/paypal for a new 4.2 hook up.. i wouldnt wana swap that for a 4.2 with alot miles on either

2004 4.6 mustang GT - completely stock ATM.

Up for sale !!!!! will deal and talk trades .. PM ME
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticus56
are there any websites you would recommend for finding 4.2's (with low miles) to swap with the existing 3.8? Or would you just find the engine in a salvage yard? How much horsepower would it add (especially with my 1996 3.8? and how much total $, just for the engine?) Thanks
If you go to a website, you're gonna have to pay shipping.

Just call area salvage yards. You'll get the best deals that way.

Over a 94-97 car 60hp-40ft/lbs.

Over a 98 55hp-40ft lbs.

Over a 99-01 11hp-35 ft/lbs

over an 02-03 8hp-30ft/lbs

over an 04 5hp-27ft/lbs.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom810
25k miles on the 98 ? nice man just find a new and used parts store/website and see if they will take a trade in plus cash/paypal for a new 4.2 hook up.. i wouldnt wana swap that for a 4.2 with alot miles on either
yeah, that's a tough call.

If you have a 3.8L that's not worth saving, sell or auction the components, and get your money back.

Heads usually go for 250+

intakes generally go for around 200.

you already know the short block prices . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in