Waterpump Problems - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006 Thread Starter
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3
 
Waterpump Problems

Hey everyone,

I am a noob here and I need a little help because this problem is/has been really frustrating for the last year or so. I own a 1995 3.8L automatic V6 Mustang with about 193,000km.

About 1.5-2 years ago I blew my head gaskets as we all know happens on this year mustang. So I put in a rebuilt engine. Ever since then I have had problems with my waterpump breaking/leaking every little while...probably had about 6-7 within the last 2 years. It is not just the part either because I have had everything from just regular suppliers to genuine ford waterpumps. Also, I have been smelling coolant sometimes when I turn off the car, but cannot find a leak.

I guess I just want to know what you all think about this problem and what I should be doing and looking into to fix this?

I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks

Bender is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Hey everyone,

I am a noob here and I need a little help because this problem is/has been really frustrating for the last year or so. I own a 1995 3.8L automatic V6 Mustang with about 193,000km.

About 1.5-2 years ago I blew my head gaskets as we all know happens on this year mustang. So I put in a rebuilt engine. Ever since then I have had problems with my waterpump breaking/leaking every little while...probably had about 6-7 within the last 2 years. It is not just the part either because I have had everything from just regular suppliers to genuine ford waterpumps. Also, I have been smelling coolant sometimes when I turn off the car, but cannot find a leak.

I guess I just want to know what you all think about this problem and what I should be doing and looking into to fix this?

I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks
can you positively identify where the leak is coming from?

at 193,000 miles, it may be contamination from your radiator that's screwing up your water pump.

I'd consider dropping in a low mile replacement engine (you've probably spent enough to have gotten one already).


Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member
 
Kmagn13's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Corpus
Posts: 984
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
can you positively identify where the leak is coming from?

at 193,000 miles, it may be contamination from your radiator that's screwing up your water pump.

I'd consider dropping in a low mile replacement engine (you've probably spent enough to have gotten one already).
The Engine will only cost $400-$600... well worth it... it can save alot of time and money

02 stang, True Dual exhaust, CAI, 4.10 gears, 180 Thermostat, Diablosport tuned, dropped 2", Cross Drilled rotors, Zri Fuzion Tires, GT RSB + more
Kmagn13 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006 Thread Starter
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3
 
Is there anything that I can do to correct this problem, because the rebuilt engine I put in about two years ago can't have more than 60,000km on it.
What might cause this problem to be happening in the first place?

What exactly is a low mile replacement engine? (I can guess, but not 100% sure)

Thanks
Bender is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Is there anything that I can do to correct this problem, because the rebuilt engine I put in about two years ago can't have more than 60,000km on it.
What might cause this problem to be happening in the first place?

What exactly is a low mile replacement engine? (I can guess, but not 100% sure)

Thanks
poor seals, contamination coming from the radiator, contamination from old hoses, could be a lot of stuff.

is it coming from the weephole?

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006 Thread Starter
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3
 
It is not leaking presently because it was just recently replaced, but
it may have been coming from the weephole and dripping onto the pulley below. However, If it was coming through the weephole would that indicate a clog, or am I totally off base?
Bender is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member
 
kscoyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Topeka
Posts: 11,432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
It is not leaking presently because it was just recently replaced, but
it may have been coming from the weephole and dripping onto the pulley below. However, If it was coming through the weephole would that indicate a clog, or am I totally off base?
If it's not coming from your weephole, it's not your waterpump that's failing .. .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
kscoyote is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 Mustang Coupe Power Steering Problems lads_john Classic Tech 2 07-13-2006 12:30 AM
shifting problems on my 06 lagypsy 2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech 4 07-06-2006 11:59 PM
96- 98 GT Automatic Problems 97woodwarddream 4.6L Tech 2 05-31-2006 09:36 PM
Top Mustang Problems MGPony 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech 1 02-07-2005 05:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1