supercharger myth - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

supercharger myth

OK, i keep hearing that superchargers will destroy my engine and i also hear they do not really mess it up . If i get a supercharger for a 2004 mustang with 40K miles on it, what will be the life span of my car with a SC?

Also, stock cars have turbos, is it true that a stock SC or turbo is designed to work with the engine there for it wont screw up the engine.
If thats true can i get a SC from a 3.8 thunder bird?(I hured its the same engine)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by via sin dios
OK, i keep hearing that superchargers will destroy my engine and i also hear they do not really mess it up . If i get a supercharger for a 2004 mustang with 40K miles on it, what will be the life span of my car with a SC?

Also, stock cars have turbos, is it true that a stock SC or turbo is designed to work with the engine there for it wont screw up the engine.
If thats true can i get a SC from a 3.8 thunder bird?(I hured its the same engine)
you've got it backwards. The aftermarket SC units ARE designed to work with your engine.

The T-bird SC is designed to work with an SC engine, which has forged pistons, rods, cranks, etc.

The T-bird SC can make mincemeat of a 94-8 Mustang 3.8L engine. the 99+ has a stronger block, but you should upgrade the pistons crank & rods if you're going to use that system.

All in all, it would be cheaper to purchase a REBUILT SC engine from O'Reilleys, or someplace similar, and reflash your computer to run it.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

if i get a aftermarket SC wat would my engine life span be? (3.8, 40K miles on it, 2004)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
if i get a aftermarket SC wat would my engine life span be? (3.8, 40K miles on it, 2004)
As long as you follow manufacturers recommendations and driv it normally, there is no effect on the engine.

If you RACE every weekend, it may shorten the life expectancy by 10% more than racing would which is 25-35%.

So with the SC, total life expectancy would be shortened by 32-43% if you race every weekend.

Boost doesn't come on line with a centrifugal unit until approximately 3000 RPM. How often are you at 3000 RPM? I would guess very rarely . . .

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
As long as you follow manufacturers recommendations and driv it normally, there is no effect on the engine.

If you RACE every weekend, it may shorten the life expectancy by 10% more than racing would which is 25-35%.

So with the SC, total life expectancy would be shortened by 32-43% if you race every weekend.

Boost doesn't come on line with a centrifugal unit until approximately 3000 RPM. How often are you at 3000 RPM? I would guess very rarely . . .
nice, where can i find a cheeper supercharger or turbo, i dont want to spend over 3K on one
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
nice, where can i find a cheeper supercharger or turbo, i dont want to spend over 3K on one
You absolutely will not find a turbo under $5000, because of the customization.

The cheapest route is probably Vortech, but without an intercooler, you'll only be able to run 5-7 psi. Those have generally come in at approximately 2700 dollars.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to NoRiceForMe
how can i get 2700 dollars (20 yrs. old, 6'1", 160 lbs)

hahahaha, just figured he's ask that next

2008 Mustang GT/CS 5 speed, Steeda Axle Back's, Steeda UDP's, Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 93 octane tune, C&L CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in