Ford Racing posi lock. - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Ford Racing posi lock.

I thought about getting the posi traction unit from rpm outlet. Heres a link. http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6fordgear.htmIs it good and is it worth it? Do I need friction modifier and new gears? What wall will I need to go with it? And is the stock diff 7.5" or 8"? I was thinking about going 3.73 gears how much will that hurt mpg? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36
I thought about getting the posi traction unit from rpm outlet. Heres a link. http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6fordgear.htmIs it good and is it worth it? Do I need friction modifier and new gears? What wall will I need to go with it? And is the stock diff 7.5" or 8"? I was thinking about going 3.73 gears how much will that hurt mpg? Any help appreciated.
You may want to look into a detrot locker.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Are Detroit lockers better? Does ne1 use the Ford posi lok. How much are they and where can I find one?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

GT takeoffs dual exhaust

After doing somemore searching I decided on using a GT exhaust system. From what I hear they are a direct replacement from the headers back and the only thing needed is the hardware to hang the pipe on the right side. Is that all? Is there anything else I should know?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Are Detroit lockers better? Does ne1 use the Ford posi lok. How much are they and where can I find one?
Yeah, they don't use clutches, so it will never wear out. The Locker used to be OEM for the SVO. They were impossible to find whan I bought mine, they only reissued it last year.

You have a 7.5" rear end.

Subtract approximately 1 mpg per 1/4 extra turn. 99+ cars have 3.27s so from that - 3.45 -1 mpg, 3.73 -2 mpg., etc.

I've got the Ford Racing Traction-Lok. Cheapest is at either www.buyfordracing.com or www.GEFracing.com -they average $179 or so + shipping.

If you pick up a Ford Racing Catalogue, you might be able to find a wholesale dealer closer to you so you can save on shipping charges.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
After doing somemore searching I decided on using a GT exhaust system. From what I hear they are a direct replacement from the headers back and the only thing needed is the hardware to hang the pipe on the right side. Is that all? Is there anything else I should know?
You'll need an adapter. Best buy is the adapter from Pacesetter Exhaust -which was $75 at www.summitracing.com

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Should I get one from a wrecked GT in the junkyard or price a new unit from the dealer?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Oh, re: friction modifier -you'll need it you use non-synthetic fluid.

If you use a good synthetic (which WILL help your MPG) you don't need the modifier.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Should I get one from a wrecked GT in the junkyard or price a new unit from the dealer?
cheapest is usually the junkyard. they're stainless steel, so you don't really have to worry about them rusting out.

If you go to the dealer, you'll end up paying $400+

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Are you sure I should take the detroit locker over the Ford racing. Why did you choose it. And are you talking about the pacesetter adapter that requires cutting and welding?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Are you sure I should take the detroit locker over the Ford racing. Why did you choose it. And are you talking about the pacesetter adapter that requires cutting and welding?
It was so long ago, I don't remember if it requires welding or not.

Regardless, you're going to have to cut the y pipe.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

If you're looking for performance and durability, the Detroit Locker is totally the way to go.

If you're not planning on keeping the car that long, or you plan to swap out the rear end with something else down the road -go with a FR unit.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Thanks this has all been very helpful. So I decided the Detroit locker. Hope summit sales them. Will fordracing gears work with the detroit locker?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Thanks this has all been very helpful. So I decided the Detroit locker. Hope summit sales them. Will fordracing gears work with the detroit locker?
yes.

Use froogle, or call Detriot Locker to see if there's a wholesaler somewhere .. .

V6 Member

how much more expensive is a detroit locker than the FR? and how long will it take for the FR to wear? dont u just have to replace what gets worn out or do u have to replace the entire thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page