How much should I lower my car? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools

I was just wondering. I aint to worried bout it cause im baggin it in bout 6months.
I am just trying to get a little more power cause its gonna be mostly show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

5.0L Member

Vert Boy, this site is the best place I know of to learn about your stang, read tons of threads and have fun...

Droping your stang 3", won't make any more power than dropping it 1.5", or just leaving it stock...Please , if I am wrong, somebody correct me here LOL

Vert Boy, bro, Mustangs are LEGENDS because they are FAST, not just pretty. Some of us would say all show and no go, makes it a ricer...

Good Luck Dude...

GT Member
V6 Member

dropping ti will tighten your suspension and will give you a slightly better launch which will give you better Et 0-60 but not by much.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
----------------------------------------------
12v Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by found50
Another zombie thread -- back from the dead

Vert Boy, why would you want to lower your car 3"? You will lose all suspension preformance. Lowering a Stang "should " be about improved handeling, but it's your car...
Holy crap, this thread is 4 years old

I never said that droping it would add power. I was just stating that im not looking for a ton of power. Im just lookin for a little bit so it wont be all stock, Im not worried bout it cause its not gonna be set up for racing its gonna be for show. (Hence the reason im baggin it!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GREENVERTBOY
I never said that droping it would add power. I was just stating that im not looking for a ton of power. Im just lookin for a little bit so it wont be all stock, Im not worried bout it cause its not gonna be set up for racing its gonna be for show. (Hence the reason im baggin it!!)
if you want your car for show, you could get a cold air intake, one that is really bright and shiny chrome. That way you get a little more hp (not as much as if it were a plastic one but oh well) and it looks good (if you like that kind of stuff). you can get one off ebay for like $50 shipped.
GT Member
V6 Member

If your going for show, I would just take out the old springs, get a dremel and cut off a coil from the back and two from the front, that would give you a nice Uberslammed look all around and a nice stance. It will also close up the gap in your fenderwell, you can also get some bigger tires, say 17x9 in the front and 17x 10.5 in the rear this would look awsome in my books.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru

I got a buddy who is gonna sell my his saleen knock-offs and they are 18's and when i bag it ill close the gap in my fenderwell.

:green

Here is a little quote I read... How Much Drop - Most customers ask me "Is one inch really alot?". When lowering a vehicle, 1 inch is alot. Just think... Add 10 inches to a Honda Civic, and you have a Mercedes Benz S Class sedan. Just 10 inches!! I usually tell my customers to take the drop that the spring says, then double it in their mind... that is how it will look on the Mustang. First thing.... The lower the drop does NOT = better handling. Better handling is a combination of many other suspension components combined with the springs.

I have a 1.5 and my cats scrap on speed bumps with out friends ridging along.. Good springs and Good struts and shocks..
GT Member
V6 Member

your right. But to a point it doesnt give you better handling. after 1.5" you start to mess up the whole suspension idea in the first place.

Lee
2012 V6 Ingot Silver MT
2012 V6 Grabber Blue AT
1991 Ford F150
2005 Honda Civic
12v Guru

i lowered my car like 1.5 inches in the fron and 1.5 to 2 inches in the rear...looks tight as hell and i only have 17's on my car. the ridre is rougher than stock for sure but not bad, i dont have to worry about scrapin anythin when goin up droiveways or railroad tracks. id go with about 1.5 drop, looks good, and the ride is good

nick
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw96cobra
if youou lower it too much, you're gonna be putting ALOT of stress on the Ball Joints... because the pivot point of gravity on the car will be UNDER the ground... eventually you'll end up breaking the ball joints and having them pop whenever you go over a bump. It's not pretty to listen to... trust me.

If you're gonna slam your car more than 1 1/2 inches, have the Steeda X2 Ball Joints installed as well.... They are oversidezed and meant for cars when they're lowered

Also, remember to get an alignment after you lower it, because it will surely be way out of spec.
I am beginning to wonder if my ball joints have gone out on my 96. Whenever i hit a bump or do a corner reasonably fast, it will occasionally do a loud pop. It seems to come from under the console, but i am just not sure about what the problem could be.

And there have been no suspension mods (that I can tell) that have been done to it.
V6 Member

Also, would this cause some chassis vibration at various speeds?
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFist
I am beginning to wonder if my ball joints have gone out on my 96. Whenever i hit a bump or do a corner reasonably fast, it will occasionally do a loud pop. It seems to come from under the console, but i am just not sure about what the problem could be.

And there have been no suspension mods (that I can tell) that have been done to it.
If it's from under the console, it's probably a transmission mount, and it would cause vibration.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17

ok so you guys think that the eibach pro kit is the best way to go? Will you really be able to notice the 1.5" drop by looking at it....im a collage student so i dont wanna make aby purchases that arent worht it. Plus will i NEED to buy any other suspension mods or will i be ok by just getting the springs? P.S. any one have pics of there car w/ the pro kit springs? Thanx alot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page