Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much should I lower my car?

27K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  kscoyote 
G
#1 ·
lowering

hey i would like to know how much should i lower my car....i want to lower it a lot but i dont want to scratch the bottom of it in every driveway ... :: )

#27 ·
milw96cobra said:
if youou lower it too much, you're gonna be putting ALOT of stress on the Ball Joints... because the pivot point of gravity on the car will be UNDER the ground... eventually you'll end up breaking the ball joints and having them pop whenever you go over a bump. It's not pretty to listen to... trust me.

If you're gonna slam your car more than 1 1/2 inches, have the Steeda X2 Ball Joints installed as well.... They are oversidezed and meant for cars when they're lowered

Also, remember to get an alignment after you lower it, because it will surely be way out of spec.
I am beginning to wonder if my ball joints have gone out on my 96. Whenever i hit a bump or do a corner reasonably fast, it will occasionally do a loud pop. It seems to come from under the console, but i am just not sure about what the problem could be.

And there have been no suspension mods (that I can tell) that have been done to it.

#29 ·
ShadowFist said:
I am beginning to wonder if my ball joints have gone out on my 96. Whenever i hit a bump or do a corner reasonably fast, it will occasionally do a loud pop. It seems to come from under the console, but i am just not sure about what the problem could be.

And there have been no suspension mods (that I can tell) that have been done to it.
If it's from under the console, it's probably a transmission mount, and it would cause vibration.

#30 ·
ok so you guys think that the eibach pro kit is the best way to go? Will you really be able to notice the 1.5" drop by looking at it....im a collage student so i dont wanna make aby purchases that arent worht it. Plus will i NEED to buy any other suspension mods or will i be ok by just getting the springs? P.S. any one have pics of there car w/ the pro kit springs? Thanx alot

#31 ·
greenfieldracin said:
ok so you guys think that the eibach pro kit is the best way to go? Will you really be able to notice the 1.5" drop by looking at it....im a collage student so i dont wanna make aby purchases that arent worht it. Plus will i NEED to buy any other suspension mods or will i be ok by just getting the springs? P.S. any one have pics of there car w/ the pro kit springs? Thanx alot
yeah, it's noticeable. you should get pre-94 shocks, for best performance, ride, & longevity, but it's not necessary.

I don't know that Eibach is the best way to go -it's probably the top-low end system . ..

#33 ·
greenfieldracin said:
oh ya, i have a 98 v6 if that makes a difference.
no difference, it's been the same suspension since 79, pretty much . ..

#35 ·
kscoyote said:
yeah, it's noticeable. you should get pre-94 shocks, for best performance, ride, & longevity, but it's not necessary.

I don't know that Eibach is the best way to go -it's probably the top-low end system . ..[/QUOTE

So pre 94 shocks will be a direct replacement for my old shocks (I wont have to modify any thing?) So what, i would just go to like a parts store and say i need shocks for a 93 v6 mustang?

#36 ·
greenfieldracin said:
kscoyote said:

I don't know that Eibach is the best way to go -it's probably the top-low end system . ..[/QUOTE

So pre 94 shocks will be a direct replacement for my old shocks (I wont have to modify any thing?) So what, i would just go to like a parts store and say i need shocks for a 93 v6 mustang?
waitaminnit!

You're getting the entire Eibach set, right?

Tif you're getting the shocks, springs, and swaybars as a kit, you don't have to worry about it.

Sorry 'bout that.

#38 ·
greenfieldracin said:
no, i am just getting the springs
Ah, well, when you get shocks, go with the Eibach shocks . .. they're pretty reasonable . . .

#39 ·
I was thinking about lowering my car 1.25in I want to get 19" rims and have them actually fit. Should i get a camber kit along with the springs? anything else?

#40 ·
I haven't lowered my car, but I have a razzi body kit on it. It looks as if it dropped about 1 - 1 1/2 in. And yes it is pain when you do pull into some parking spots. I have cracked it about 3 times just from not being careful:sterb: . Also if you ever want to do anything with your car that has to do with jacking it up, that can be a pain in the @$$ too. I love my body kit and it looks sweet as hell too, and I was kind of thinking about lowering it a tad bit more just because I was sitting on a little dip one time, just my front wheel and it looked as if it was lowered in the front, it looked a lot nicer and a lot more stylish. But ya I'm just saying, even with it being about 1 1/2 inches lowered, it still is kind of a pain to get around, not speed bumps especially, but when I back out of my drive way the back scrapes unless i turn at an angle. If you want my opinion though, I say go ahead and lower it, it'll look good =)

#41 ·
white01stang said:
I was thinking about lowering my car 1.25in I want to get 19" rims and have them actually fit. Should i get a camber kit along with the springs? anything else?
They will fit, but they will suck all the torque out of the car, and your ride quality will be bad, even with the v6 shocks which are soft.

I wouldn't go more than 17s, with 18's you start to struggle to get wheelspin. with 19's you may as well drive a honda . ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.