Blown Head Gasket HELP - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 6stang02

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Any Suggestions? Blown Head Gasket HELP

My 97 Mustang V6 3.8L recently Blew a head gasket. 152,325 Miles. I'm not very experienced in engine work but I'm replacing the head gasket myself. I don't have 2K to get it done at a shop. I have been told that before I take off the heads, I have to make sure the engine is in DTC or else when I take off the heads and replace everything, I'm going to mess up the factory Tune on the Stang. Is that true? Any and all help is much appreciated!!

This is my passion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015
Rookie

Not on a push rod motor. But you want to loosen up the rocker arms so when you do this you want to make sure the cam is not pushing on the rods. Its best to do it in the firing order so you don't have to rotate the engine as much

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015
Rookie

Also when your undoing the head bolts start on the outside and work inward

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95er View Post
also when your undoing the head bolts start on the outside and work inward
number one buy a manual instead of listening to backyard mechanics.you will find in the manual the correct way to tear down your motor. Use the latest torque specs and follow to a "t"use only the latest headgasket from ford.these motors have a habit of blowing headgaskets.get your specs from ford when you buy your gaskets.get new headbolds and lube them with antiseize before installing them.do not use motor oil on them.

OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER BUT YOUNG ENOUGH TO STILL ENJOY IT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015
MACH I Member

Garage
97-98 V6 has revised head bolts. 94-96 were the problematic years.

I would not slap headgaskets in a 152K mile motor. Asking for headaches.

Find a used 97-98 motor and drop it in.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
97-98 v6 has revised head bolts. 94-96 were the problematic years.

I would not slap headgaskets in a 152k mile motor. Asking for headaches.

go ahead and fix your '96. The 1st set of head gaskeys on my '96 left town at 75k,replaced them using new updated gaskets,bolts and revised torque specs still going strong at 200k go to your ford dealer talk to their motor man get ford gaskets bolts and new torque specs

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
97-98 v6 has revised head bolts. 94-96 were the problematic years.

I would not slap headgaskets in a 152k mile motor. Asking for headaches.

go ahead and fix your '96. The 1st set of head gaskeys on my '96 left town at 75k,replaced them using new updated gaskets,bolts and revised torque specs still going strong at 200k go to your ford dealer talk to their motor man get ford gaskets bolts and new torque specs

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I picked up a Haynes Manual and its helped a lot so far. The car didn't run that long with it puttering and misfiring. Should I get the head looked at? Where is a good place to get it looked at if so? And would the firing order be in the Manual? I can get the Head bolts and torque spec from a buddy at Ford.

This is my passion
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015
GT Member

Garage
Honestly for something like this, i would of recommended the factory service manual instead of the haynes manuals. Faxon sells them and so does ebay. Also to the backyard mechanics comment.. Most people on here are more educated than just someone who picked up a wrench the first time. So listen to everyone. With your mileage i would strongly recommend checking your head with a machinist straight edge to ensure your head is not warped, i hate doing the same job twice. Any head we pull off at ford we check for warpage on the block and head because you never know. Imho only a backyard mechanic would just start throwing parts on cars and hope it fixes it. How do you know the head gasket is blown? Did a compression test prove it to be low or oil in coolant/coolant in oil? Oil and or coolant in the combustion chamber? You could also just have burnt valves, if you revved it when it started did the misfire go away? The firing order is in the manual as is the cylinder o order as well. I posted pictures of my ford manual for my car so you can compare it to your haynes manual. Those are much more informational than haynes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443610177259.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	468658  
sn95er likes this.

19 GT PP1
65 GT A-Code Mustang 289
66 GT A-Code Mustang 289
GT Member

I would decide on whether to repair it or replace it by looking at how the gasket blew. If it's leaking between cylinder and water jacket, I would say have at it and slap some new gaskets on there after making sure the head is flat.

But if the gasket blew in such a way as to allow coolant into the oil, the coolant may have "flushed" oil out of the bearings. In that case, the engine is on borrowed time and I wouldn't bother repairing it (unless you want to tear into the bottom end).

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

oil and the coolant were mixing, because the oil had to go some where and it wasn't in the oil pan. The coolant was over flowing from the resifwar which is a symptom of a head gasket. The misfiring did not go away when you revved it. At the moment all i have to do is losen the rocker arms, take out the push rods and place them through the card board box. after that remove the Head bolts and its off to IDM to get it checked for warping. When i get the heads off ill take more pictures and put them up here to see what you guys think. THANKS!

This is my passion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page