2001 V6 Mustang... Performance issues started during rain. Need help. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Exclamation 2001 V6 Mustang... Performance issues started during rain. Need help.

hi, i was just driving in the rain, been raining all day..., much less than what i've done (my stang has been through crazy washes and what not before no problem). anyways, shortly after a yota taco blazed past me and splashed horrendous amounts of water over the windshield and hood of the car it started running rough. i just had the exhaust repaired, suspecting bad workmanship i looked under the car for any visible damage as the exhaust note dramatically changed (much weaker, rougher), anyways, it idled rough at stop lights, service engine light was blinking then stayed solid, turned off, back on, blink, repeat, etc. acceleration and cruising seemed slightly odd to ME, but wouldn't have to somebody not familiar with my car. however acceleration s odd and somewhat rough under higher throttle.

friends said wet distributor cap. seems like it, but i cant explain the smell. i thought maybe a loose seal on my air filter b/c i cleaned and oiled my k&n just a couple weeks ago, so i think the seal should be ok cuz i've played w/ it a lot before and been able to reseal and assemble the stock airbox fine. so..., i guess what i'm asking is would a wet distributor cap be the cause, including the smell? (the water off this taco was crazy, and i hit a small puddle too fast due to bad headlights and oncoming brights, possible splashing water up and into the compartment.

i dunno, suggestions? i'm hoping after letting it drive 12 hours it should hopefully be ok if the distro cap is to blame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007
Apprentice
V6 Member

An over oild air filter could restrict the air to the engine. A distributor cap is not in use today. It was on much older cars. It was a way of getting power from the coil to the plugs(cap/rotor). Our newer cars use a coil pack that distributes the power to the plugs. I have no idea how you could have gotten water n it unless one of the wires was not pushed in properly, otherwise the pack is sealed. Now a possible cause for the check engine, could be the Mass Air Flow sensor, it is the wire that plugs in behind the filter tube. Also if u over oild the filter than the excess oil could have gotten on the sensor, and u will have to clean it off with electronic cleaner. i have forgotten to plug my sensor in after maintinence too.

Ford eats Chevy and Sh!Ts Dodge

Cars are just nuts and bolts were just dumb enough to mess with them!

Real cars don't power the front wheels they lift them!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to jgt58
I had the same problem with a corolla with a [email protected] filter. I overoiled it and the oil got on the mass airflow sensor. I had to get some mass airflow sensor cleaner and cleaned it , and wola back to normal

2000 V6 mustang Vert- Boss Shinoda Legacy conversion in progress!!!

Go: GT cat back exhaust with H pipe , [email protected] air filter
Show : Bullitt : door lock knobs , shifter trim ring , fuel door , pedals , Smoked and clear cornered headlights , white face gauges , GT fogs , Mach 1 Grille Delete , Shinoda front chin spoiler, Bunch of Billett stuff , Gt hood scoop , and GT side scoops

Waiting for paint : Roush Rear valence....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page