ABS Issues and what to do - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member

ABS Issues and what to do

I was driving my mustang at around 40 to 50 mph on a flat straight road when suddenly the ABS kicks in causing my brakes to severily pulsate from the left wheel then the right wheel making it very difficult to control the car. I struggled to get the car pulled over in an empty parking lot and checked the front wheels and all was fine. I got back on the road and made it home without incidence. I often drive my car to the desert, and if I had been coming down a mountain road to the desert floor I would of ended up over the side of a cliff. This is a huge safety issue in my mind. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their mustang and what did you do to fix the problem.

You can fix alot of things......
but you can't fix STUPID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPony View Post
I was driving my mustang at around 40 to 50 mph on a flat straight road when suddenly the ABS kicks in causing my brakes to severily pulsate from the left wheel then the right wheel making it very difficult to control the car. I struggled to get the car pulled over in an empty parking lot and checked the front wheels and all was fine. I got back on the road and made it home without incidence. I often drive my car to the desert, and if I had been coming down a mountain road to the desert floor I would of ended up over the side of a cliff. This is a huge safety issue in my mind. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their mustang and what did you do to fix the problem.
What year of car? Did the ABS light illuminate when this happened? How do you know the brakes changed from front to front only? Did no feel of rear brake involvement take place?

It is imperative to check trouble codes before doing any real surmising. At this point, my guess would be a failed wheel speed sensor, or a failed ABS Module.

Codes are needed.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019
PONY Member

Garage
It does sound like your ABS module. ABS should only activate when you step on the brakes and your car loses traction on one or more wheels. As Imps said, you should get a warning light on the dash when things go south (no pun intended).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019
PONY Member

Garage
A quick internet search will give you a couple of things to check out. Could be bad/dirty wheel sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page