tire psi question, need help on recommended tire PSI - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dgc333
  • 1 Post By GT'sGT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question tire psi question, need help on recommended tire PSI

So I replaced the 255/40r19 Pirellis with the 96w rating with Cooper 255/40r19 with the 100W XL tires, the tire shop i think overinflated the tires. one of the tires read 40 PSI. I know my stock tires were recommended at 32 PSI cold. Do you think the Cooper's being XL load range 100W that the correct tire pressure is 40 PSI, or is that too high? I can't get reliable information because the 96W and 100W XL would probably have different PSI recommendations, right ? Then I read, if you under-inflated the tires, they go bad fast, over-inflate them, they get punctures easier. Tires are turning out to be a headache, what is it with every tire shop putting the wrong pressure in every car tire?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018
PONY Member

On a XL rated tire the full load capacity of the tire is reached 40psi where as a non XL tire it is 36 psi. A 100 rated tire can carry 1764 pounds a 96 tire can carry 1565 pounds.

I am quite happy with 32 psi for all around driving. I would start there and go up or down to suit your needs.

Dave

my89foxbody likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
On a XL rated tire the full load capacity of the tire is reached 40psi where as a non XL tire it is 36 psi. A 100 rated tire can carry 1764 pounds a 96 tire can carry 1565 pounds.

I am quite happy with 32 psi for all around driving. I would start there and go up or down to suit your needs.

Dave

what load and are your tires? what size? I want to to drop the pressure to 36 all around to see how they handle. 32 wouldn't be underinflated?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018
PONY Member

Use the vehicles recommended pressure, not the tires max.
my89foxbody likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Use the vehicles recommended pressure, not the tires max.

would the vehicle's recommended pressure apply to the same size tire with a higher load rating? I would never air a tire up to max pressure. Thanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ecoblack View Post
what load and are your tires? what size? I want to to drop the pressure to 36 all around to see how they handle. 32 wouldn't be underinflated?
My car came with 255/40-19 96Y P Zero summer tires and the door placard recommends 32 psi.

You are over thinking this. Put 32 psi in them. If the ride is to soft and squishy add a couple of psi until you are happy. Conversely if it's to harsh go down in pressure, keep in mind the low pressure warning will come on around 28 psi.

Dave
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018
GT Member

You can always do the chalk test, too.

Start with a good alignment and a ballpark guess tire pressure. Use chalk (or paint, sharpie, whatever) to draw a line across the width of the tread. Drive it, and see how the chalk wears. Try different pressures until the chalk wears evenly. That's how your tires will wear.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
would the vehicle's recommended pressure apply to the same size tire with a higher load rating? I would never air a tire up to max pressure. Thanks.
Yes, the recommended pressure for the vehicle is just that, the recommended pressure for the vehicle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
. Use chalk (or paint, sharpie, whatever) to draw a line across the width of the tread. Drive it, and see how the chalk wears. Try different pressures until the chalk wears evenly. That's how your tires will wear.

Agree with above ....+ then check tire wear across the face of all 4 tires periodically (1,000 miles or so) and make fine adjustments, of course starting with Fords recommended psi settings.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
You can always do the chalk test, too.

Start with a good alignment and a ballpark guess tire pressure. Use chalk (or paint, sharpie, whatever) to draw a line across the width of the tread. Drive it, and see how the chalk wears. Try different pressures until the chalk wears evenly. That's how your tires will wear.
had the alignment checked after the tires were installed. I went with the factory setting that Ford put on the door jamb sticker, 32 PSI. thanks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Yes, the recommended pressure for the vehicle is just that, the recommended pressure for the vehicle.
so I went ahead and evened every tire out to 32 PSI. Thanks
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Yes, vehicle recommended is for all tires you put on no matter what the tires load rating is. Load rating is for when you are let's say moving out of an apartment and you put everything you own in the car, well now you have added excess weight and to ensure you don't damage the tires you would inflate them to their max tire pressure to handle the weight you added by packing it with all your stuff. Now if you are just tooling around you will just go by the manufacturers recommendation for ride comfort, control and gas mileage

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page